The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
TXGunNut

New Molds!

I know it's too damned hot out there for this but a reloading thread around here about the cost of reloading cheap 45acp ammo and a thread about bulk ammo on another forum has been inspiring me. I shot up $44 worth of factory ammo a little while back in a very brief practice session and suddenly remembered there's a better way. So I loaded up some plated bullets and then remembered there's an even better way. I have some new Lee TL 200 gr swc 45 acp molds! New bottom pour furnace had PB in it and I had some virgin ball molds so naturally I had to cast a pile of them, right?
I'm rehydrated, WW's are melted. Molds are heating up. I'm outa here!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 25, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2
jmortimer

Now that makes some sense. Cast Boolits.
Old June 25, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Shiny Boolits and Balls!

Done for the day! Way too hot for this today, getting hotter. Lee dies and bottom pour pot were new experiences for me today. Mainly just worked on technique, needed lots of work too. Any tricks for getting the mold blocks to line up? Lots of boolits and balls went back into the pot, first entire run of each, matter of fact. Next time will be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot Lead 003.jpg (256.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Hot Lead 002.jpg (251.7 KB, 38 views)
Old June 25, 2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Vance

Go to Bull Shop Lubes and buy the Bullplate Sprue Lube. Putt a small drop on each alignment pin of your mold, and a couple of small drops under the sprue plate. Close the mold and move the sprue plate a few times to spread the lube around. Now open the mold and wipe out any of the lube that got into the cavity.

After doing that, your mold will align easier and the sprue won't be as difficult to cut (if it was before). When I am closing the mold during casting, I will tap the hinge point while doing it and the jolt of the tap will help in alignment. I should add, never tap or hit the mold itself.

Go over to the Cast Boolits forum and read this thread and download the free for personal use book. It is called "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners". Good read.

Last edited by Vance; June 25, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old June 25, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Thanks, Vance. Have heard about that lube, guess I should give it a try. I've been using Lyman molds and a bottom pour dipper up until now. The Lee dies and bottom pour furnace almost make it a new game. Forgot about not tapping on the molds, they seem to be OK. I guess the pins could use a little cleaning and a spot of lube.
Old June 26, 2011, 10:29 AM   #6
TXGunNut

Vance, can't thank you enough! The "book" that is linked to the thread you linked to is awesome! Only read four chapters so far and have been very impressed. Fryxell and Applegate not only know their stuff but can and do write coherently about it. I've only been casting a couple of years and have spent many hours reading on the subject here and elsewhere, the only book that comes close so far is Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Not only do they explain all the chemistry/metallurgy involved but they explain why wheelweights work so well and how to make a better alloy from them. Taffin's foreward had me hooked, it's gonna be a great read.
Thanks again.
Old June 26, 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Vance

Your welcome. I came across that and I noticed that I am casting better bullets now.