The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Andrew LB

The barrel on my S&W Model 66-2 is turning... pics and questions...

Ok fellas. The last two time i went shooting i started noticing that my S&W .357mag Model 66-2 revolver has begun to shoot differently. (way off target)

So... looking the pistol over i noticed the barrel has actually turned. I compared it to my buddies Colt Python .357 Magnum and saw that his even had a very slight turn to it but nothing like mine.

Here is a picture:

I'm not sure if its shaving bullets due to the barrel turn since i have no way of firing off a .38 special anywhere near my house into a barrel of water like a guy at the range suggested I try...

Is my pistol fixable by a smith or the manufacturer? I'm hoping they can put it in a vice and turn the barrel back straight or even re-barrel the pistol.

Any suggestions, comments, etc?

I really like this pistol and it was a gift from my father who has owned it since the early 70's.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 14, 2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

DO NOT try to turn the barrel yourself, ESPECIALLY NOT with any type of vise setup.

This is precisely how many fine guns are turned into worthless junk.
The only way to turn a revolver barrel safely is to use special barrel vises and a FITTED frame wrench.

Your barrel was either installed improperly at the factory, OR someone has tampered with the barrel.

To have it repaired, return it to S&W.
They have the tooling and knowledge to re-fit the barrel properly.

When a revolver barrel is turned in TOO far, as yours is, the barrel must be completely removed and re-fitted by setting it back one thread.

This is NO job to attempt unless you have the correct tools and knowledge.

There's MUCH more to this than just unscrewing the barrel slightly and it's easy to damage or ruin the gun with improper methods.

In addition, an improperly adjusted barrel will be inaccurate, and may spit bullet material.

Return it to S&W and they'll quickly set it right.
Old April 14, 2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Andrew LB

Heh.. i wasn't planning on doing any of this myself. I was just wondering about the process of fixing it.

I'm planning on calling S&W to find out about getting it repaired. I hope their turn aroud is relatively fast.
Old April 14, 2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Ozzieman

There is some very good advice here.

I saw an older MOD 27 come into our shop and we were asked if we could fix it for him, This was after he placed it in a vice and from what I guessed put a cressent rench on the grip frame and tried to turn it back.
Bent the grip frame.

Dfariswheel said it best

This is precisely how many fine guns are turned into worthless junk.
Old April 14, 2005, 11:10 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Sorry, I mis-read the part of your post where you wrote "If THEY could put it in a vise".

I tend to get all excited when I hear people asking about doing barrel work with vises and hammer handles, since over the years, I've had to explain to a number of people why their once-fine revolver is now worth only the price of the parts.
This after they listened to someone about how easy it is to do barrel work, and with no need to let some gunsmith rob them on the price.

Funny, the people telling them that were never around to buy them a new gun, after the do-it-yourself attempt ruined a nice gun.

In your case, sorry I mis-read.

I'd send the gun in to S&W. NO ONE knows more about it than they do, and they will repair it RIGHT.

Price should be reasonable, and turn-around is usually pretty quick.

If you have any custom work, like a "trigger job" in mind, nows the time to let S&W do it all at once.
Old April 15, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Andrew LB

My father who gave me the revolver a few years ago said he had S&W do a trigger job on it already, quite a few years ago. Its definately a hair trigger.
Old April 15, 2005, 02:47 AM   #7
Powderman

As an added bonus, I believe that there is the possibility that S&W might not even charge you for the work.

I sent back my M1A to Springfield for exactly the same problem. The barrel was removed, inspected, reinstalled and headspaced with a new front sight reinstalled at no charge. I took advantage, and had them re-bed the rifle, too. Cost me $120.00.
Old April 15, 2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Dave Sample

This is a Job for the Factory! They will do it for less money than anyone else. Send it back.
Old April 15, 2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Andrew LB

Well I called S&W and they told me to either send it in or take it to one of their certified warranty service centers so I dropped it off at Bolsa Gunsmithing here in Westminster, CA. They're going to check it out and if needed, send it to S&W if they cannot do the job there.

From what i've been told, Bolsa Gunsmithing is an excellent shop and very reliable.

www.bolsagunsmithing.com

They've got a wait though, about a week before they can look at it which is acceptable since they're so close.
Old April 16, 2005, 12:05 PM   #10
Dave Sample

Good Luck!
Old April 17, 2005, 11:47 PM   #11
Andrew LB

Thanks man. They'll get back to me in a week or so on its status. I just want to make sure they do a good job like S&W would but since i hear nothing but great things about this shop.... i think they'll do just fine.

I'll report back to you guys when i receive my pistol back.

I cant wait to get it shooting again!