The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2002, 05:10 PM   #1
co772

Lee dies: Charging pistol vs. rifle cases

Here is a real newbie question: I just started reloading and have been loading 9mm with the Lee carbide 3 die set. To charge cases, I simply put the funnel on top of the powder-through-expander die. I now am going to start loading 30-06 and I see that there isn't a die like this with the rifle die sets. How do you charge the cases? Thanks
Old September 29, 2002, 07:36 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

You can get rifle powder charging dies from Lee, as well as charging dies that actuate a Lee Autodisk measure. I don't load progressives, but I do recall seeing these while browsing a MidSouth Shooters Supply catalog.
Old September 30, 2002, 03:47 PM   #3
Cee-Zed

You don't need to load progressively to use the powder-through die and AutoDisk. I do it on a Lee Challenger. It could be more stable, I admit... If you have a 4-hole turret, I believe that Lee also makes a universal powder-through die. That way, one station throws powder only (no belling, etc.).