The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 11:32 AM   #51
huntinaz

Is there a single state that has less than a year-long hunting season and a maximum bag limit on coyotes?
Old May 12, 2014, 11:35 AM   #52
John828

Several states have less than a full year. I think only one has a bag limit. I will try to find the link.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:39 AM   #53
John828

Here is the link. Data is from 2010.

http://www.thenpha.com/nphauploads/D...egulations.doc
Old May 12, 2014, 11:51 AM   #54
huntinaz

I'll have to check that out after work, this computer won't open it.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:22 PM   #55
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I have very little respect for people who kill without purpose.

It's environmentally irresponsible. It's unethical. It's bad for gun rights (shines a negative view on gun rights). It's inhumane. It's selfish. It's simply uncool.

It's akin to polluting - like the jerk who poors his used motor oil on the ground, or dumps his trash in the woods, etc.

It contributes to ruining the environment and nature for future generations.

Lot's of irresponsible people in prior generations killed and wasted animals that we can't enjoy today.

As for the comments about it being "fun" - I'm educated enough to know that I would have grave concern for the demented person and the mentality of taking actual pleasure in the pain and suffering and killing for sport. Tell 100 people that you take pleasure in killing any living creature, and 99 of them are going to shun you and for good reason. It's twisted.

Of course, some vermin need to be killed but I wouldn't even take any pleasure in killing a rat or a mouse. It may be a task that needs doing, but there's no pleasure or 'fun' in it.
I'm not irresponsible, I'm not demented, I don't trash up or pollute the country side, however I have no remorse about killing coyotes and take great pleasure in every coyote I kill.

If you ever witnessed a calf being taken from a cow by coyotes and hear the screams of agony from the calf when it's being torn apart and ate while it's still alive, you might then change your mind about the killing of coyotes, then again you might not.

I also take great pleasure in hunting coyotes by calling them in with a predator call.
The end result is I kill them, again I feel no remorse about doing so and I enjoyed that hunting just as much as any hunting I've done.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 12, 2014, 12:24 PM   #56
Mike1234

I fully understand the need to control excessive populations (of any animals) and the need to protect one's family, property and livestock. I understand hunting for food. I understand exterminating invasive species and a hundred other good reasons to hunt. I understand that many folks find hunting fun and relaxing. I had to kill a pit bull once and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it given that circumstance... but I didn't take pleasure in it.

My comments are about extermination of an indigenous species. Others have posted their opinions on coyote population and I'm sure they wrote the truth... as they see it. However, it can't be true "everywhere". I have to agree with leadcounsel that those who take great pleasure in the kill itself are twisted. I've seen hunters laugh or giggle so hard after killing an animal they they run out of air in their lungs. Sorry but IMO that is definitely warped... borderline psychopathic.

RE cruelty of coyote ripping baby animals apart while they scream: Yes, that's horrible. But there are many hunters (certainly not the majority of them) who either intentionally take a bad shot or miss the boiler room intentionally allowing coyote to scream in pain. As men we should have more compassion than coyote. Otherwise we're as evil as some folks are insinuation that coyote are.

EDIT: Let the flames begin.

Last edited by Mike1234; May 12, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM   #57
John828

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinaz View Post
I'll have to check that out after work, this computer won't open it.
It is just a state by state list of coyote regs as of 2010. For example, in AZ:

"*

Arizona

Season? Specific seasons and methods of take for certain units and locations are outlined in the Arizona Hunt-Trap Regulations available from the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Hunting License? A valid Arizona hunting license is required.

Daily Limit? No daily or seasonal limit.

Night Hunting and/or Spotlighting allowed? An individual may take nongame mammals and birds by any method not prohibited in R12-4-303 or R12-4-318, under the following conditions. An individual:

1. Shall not take nongame mammals and birds using foothold steel traps;

2. Shall check pitfall traps of any size daily, release non-target species, remove pitfalls when no longer in use, and fill any holes;

3. Shall not use firearms at night; and

4. May use artificial light while taking nongame mammals and birds, if the light is not attached to or operated from a motor vehicle, motorized watercraft, watercraft under sail, or floating object towed by a motorized watercraft or a watercraft under sail.

www.azgfd.com602-942-3000"
Old May 12, 2014, 12:56 PM   #58
huntinaz

Yeah I'm familiar withthe AZ laws, just seems like the vast majority of states (AZ included) have year-long seasons and unlimited bag limits.

There is a daylong coyote season in AZ now (night hunting). For night hunting there is a defined season restricted to specific units, no bag limit, and is shotgun only.

Quote:
But there are many hunters who either intentionally take a bad shot or miss the boiler room intentionally allowing coyote to scream in pain.
Many? I'm certain that is not prevalent or even occaisional practice by the vast majority of the predator hunting community and it certainly has not been advocated in this thread or this forum.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:56 PM   #59
Hunter Customs

Missouri closes coyote season during spring turkey season, we have no bag limit on coyotes.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 12, 2014, 12:59 PM   #60
Mike1234

huntinaz... I didn't write nor intend to insinuate "majority" of hunters. I wrote "many". Sorry if I was unclear. I edited that post.

BTW, I'm learning a bit here. I didn't realize coyote were so prolific.
Old May 12, 2014, 01:07 PM   #61
Hunter Customs

Quote:
RE cruelty of coyote ripping baby animals apart while they scream: Yes, that's horrible. But there are many hunters who either intentionally take a bad shot or miss the boiler room intentionally allowing coyote to scream in pain. As men we should have more compassion than coyote. Otherwise we're as evil as some folks are insinuation that coyote are.
In all my years of hunting and all the people I've hunted with I've never witnessed anyone intentionally making a bad shot for the purpose of making an animal suffer.

I have on occasion made a bad hit on a coyote, but I do my best to track and dispatch the animal as fast as possible; everyone I've hunted with would do the same.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 12, 2014, 01:25 PM   #62
John828

Yeah, I didn't want to pile on, but I have never heard of anyone intentionally shooting to maim in order to watch suffering. That is psychopathic behavior.

I have had to track animals and only given up on a few because of the blood trail petering out, but it was never because I missed the vitals on purpose.
Old May 12, 2014, 02:51 PM   #63
buck460XVR

Quote:
If you ever witnessed a calf being taken from a cow by coyotes and hear the screams of agony from the calf when it's being torn apart and ate while it's still alive, you might then change your mind about the killing of coyotes, then again you might not.
While this is an unpleasant scene for humans, it is the norm for any predator prey relationship. No different than those videos of the cute little baby sea turtles on their way to the sea, only minutes after hatching, getting gobbled up by flocks of seagulls. No different than a mother whale watching a pack of Orcas drown it's baby before eating it in front of her. Neither is a reason to feel good about killing. That said, those that live by violent death, are prone to a violent death themselves. Again, when it comes to hunting, as long as one abides by the laws governing the area, and aspires to a quick and clean kill, there is no reason to condemn someone, just because their ethics are different or their reason for hunting differ.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:05 PM   #64
huntinaz

Quote:
huntinaz... I didn't write nor intend to insinuate "majority" of hunters. I wrote "many". Sorry if I was unclear. I edited that post.
I see the edit. The term majority was made by me. I'm clear on what you are saying, it's an outlandish statement. It is way off base, as that behavior is infrequent at best (I have never heard of it happening, anyone?). I can't say that it's NEVER happened, but to say it happens with any regularity whatsoever is out of line unless you have a source. Regardless, that isn't hunting and not what we're talking about.

I'm not flaming you, I'm just trying to point out that you have a misconception about what it happening.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:24 PM   #65
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted bt huntinaz:

I'm clear on what you are saying, it's an outlandish statement. It is way off base, as that behavior is infrequent at best (I have never heard of it happening, anyone?). I can't say that it's NEVER happened, but to say it happens with any regularity whatsoever is out of line unless you have a source. Regardless, that isn't hunting and not what we're talking about.

I'm not flaming you, I'm just trying to point out that you have a misconception about what it happening.
Over the years, I have read many posts about folks claimin' that gut shooting coyotes and wolves to leave to run off and suffer is an appropriate death for them....especially when the wolves are killing their deer/elk.

I think this may be where Mike and many others get the idea that folks feel those predators need to suffer for all the suffering they cause. Kinda the old eye for an eye thingy. Thing is, using fangs and claws, predators have no other way of making clean kills. They are not causing pain and suffering just for the thrill of watching something die a slow and lingering death. Humans are the only ones that do this on a regular basis. Only sick humans suggest it to others.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:27 PM   #66
huntinaz

Quote:
While this is an unpleasant scene for humans, it is the norm for any predator prey relationship.
Exactly. Everyday life for the coyote, and the calf. Coyote doesn't feel remorse for gorging on a fresh calf and it shouldn't. Likewise, it doesn't think "oh lord why me" when it catches a bullet or a car bumper or a lion claw. The coyote lives, breeds, dies. That's what coyotes do. Unfortunately for the coyote, it has competition. Me. I have an investment in that calf/deer/pet/car bumper. In my world, the coyote is a pest. Now, it is most definitely more fun to call in coyotes and shoot them than it is to trap a mouse or stomp a black widow but the reasons for doing so are the same. The activity itself is more enjoyable. It doesn't mean that I revel in the pain the coyote feels when I shoot it, quite the opposite. Concerning pleasure from death and pain; don't mistake my fun with watching a coyote suffer and die. Those aren't my thoughts, they are yours.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:33 PM   #67
Mike1234

huntinaz... I'm not "way off base" but perhaps "too generalized". Many (not the majority) of hunters relish and "swim in" the killing of living creatures and take great pleasure in the killing. You must admit that many do. It's odd and strange that some really do "like killing". I don't mean you, nor the majority of hunters, and I SUPPORT hunting in general.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:36 PM   #68
huntinaz

Quote:
Over the years, I have read many posts about folks claimin' that gut shooting coyotes and wolves to leave to run off and suffer is an appropriate death for them....especially when the wolves are killing their deer/elk.

I think this may be where Mike and many others get the idea that folks feel those predators need to suffer for all the suffering they cause. Kinda the old eye for an eye thingy. Thing is, using fangs and claws, predators have no other way of making clean kills. They are not causing pain and suffering just for the thrill of watching something die a slow and lingering death. Humans are the only ones that do this on a regular basis. Only sick humans suggest it to others.
Ok, I have heard similar sentiment but I have interpreted that more as a lack of sympathy rather than something to strive for. Less remorse at having one get away from a bad shot than say a deer, sure, but I have not read "I like to shoot them in the guts so they can suffer." A lot of people have no love for the coyote and for sure I am one, but if intentionally causing them to seffer has ever been routine I'd say it has fallen out of favor.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:41 PM   #69
John828

"Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet." Rudyard Kipling

I have to bow out of this thread because I think we are light years apart in thinking. Or, I am missing something.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:48 PM   #70
Mike1234

Quote:
Ok, I have heard similar sentiment but I have interpreted that more as a lack of sympathy rather than something to strive for. Less remorse at having one get away from a bad shot than say a deer, sure, but I have not read "I like to shoot them in the guts so they can suffer." A lot of people have no love for the coyote and for sure I am one, but if intentionally causing them to seffer has ever been routine I'd say it has fallen out of favor.
Lack of sympathy is a half-step away from lack of empathy... "feeling nothing" for those we hurt regardless of necessity... or the lesser of two evils.

Does anyone here like the movie, "Avatar"?
Old May 12, 2014, 03:51 PM   #71
huntinaz

Quote:
Many (not the majority) of hunters relish and "swim in" the killing of living creatures and take great pleasure in the killing. You must admit that many do. It's odd and strange that some really do "like killing". I don't mean you, nor the majority of hunters, and I SUPPORT hunting in general.
I don't know if you mean me or not, that depends on your definition. By "like killing", how do you mean? Do you mean that the enjoyable part is watching the animal die and hopefully cause it pain?
Old May 12, 2014, 03:54 PM   #72
Mike1234

Quote:
I don't know if you mean me or not, that depends on your definition. By "like killing", how do you mean? Do you mean that the enjoyable part is watching the animal die and hopefully cause it pain?
Do you "like" killing? If so then I do mean you.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:55 PM   #73
huntinaz

Also Mike, I must ask. Are you or have you ever hunted?
Old May 12, 2014, 04:02 PM   #74
Mike1234

Quote:
Also Mike, I must ask. Are you or have you ever hunted?
No, I hate it... but it's more a matter of me being a coward. I SUPPORT hunting because it's far better than slaughter houses.

Like I stated before... I SUPPORT hunting for many reasons. BUT... the laughing/giggling strangeness of those killing other living creatures for "crazy fun" creeps me out. ***?? Sometimes we must kill for whatever reasons but why do so many hunters giggle and laugh when they kill something?? That's W-A-Y FAR beyond crazy and messed up.

I like the movie, "AVATAR"... the natives have a hold on what's right!!
Old May 12, 2014, 04:16 PM   #75
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted byhuntinaz:

Just as some don't feel as much remorse when they lose the Bambi they maimed intended for camp meat as when they lose the Trophy of a lifetime....and yes, I' read several posts where folks claim to gut shot coyotes/wolves on purpose. But, even if it's not really intentional, one knows that if there is not the concern for losing an animal, than marginal and poor shots are more likely to occur. I see no difference in taking a poor percentage shot at a trophy buck than at a lowly 'yote. But many do. Again, it's not a legal thing but an ethical one and the suffering by that big buck is no more than by the lowly coyote. It's only our perception.
Closed Thread