The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 16, 2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Bart Noir

JimDandy, I shoot 50 and 100 yard rifle at the Seattle Police Athletic Association at south end of Boeing Field. I also shoot 25 and 50 yard pistol there.

But since SPAA is busy trying to redo the 15 yard pistol capability, I have to go to an indoor range for snubby practice. My choices are Champion Arms in the Kent valley, or Federal Way Guns in Federal Way (new location with a range). Or, if I am a little farther south, there is Bullseye in Tacoma near the dome.

You may notice I am a south-ender

Bart Noir
Old November 17, 2012, 02:17 PM   #27
JimDandy

I'm an Eastsider. Mostly I go to Kenmore, though I don't particularly like it. I don't DISLIKE it either... They don't have a ton of bells and whistles to make up for a ton of rules that don't necessarily make sense. If you're on the south end, have you been to the Tacoma Sportsman's club? I was just down there on a fluke the other day, and I loved the place dearly. It felt very home made, like something my uncle would generate in the back yard of his farm.. dirt piles behind plywood you staple targets to up a slight slope to get different ranges... but the guys running it were beyond nice, it had a distance for almost everyone. The only downside that was really a downside (having spent enough summers on a farm, homemade quality doesn't bother me at all, I actually often find it charming as long as it's safe) is the number of benches. If you want to shoot there, it opens at 9 AM. I'd be there at least 15 if not 30 minutes early. They have a steel gong at 225 that tickled me pretty much all day long, once I got confident enough to aim at it.

Edit: By the way, how is the SPAA range? It's members only, and I'm trying to find a range that's not too far away (like Tacoma Sportsman's probably is) that has rifle, pistol and shotgun... and that I like better than Kenmore. I understand SPAA got rid of their trap range with no plans of it returning?