The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 9, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

32-40s indented collar

Looking thru my stash of 32-40 shells today. I noticed some cases had a machined indented ring around them close to there bullet seating depth. And some newer Win brass I had didn't. What was the purpose of a indented collar/ ring for?_ Appreciate your reply's.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
thallub

It stops the bullet from being pushed into the case by the magazine spring of a lever action rifle.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
indy1919

Ahhhhh is that the same reason for the indented ring on the older 45 acp rounds??? Also if I can Why did they do away with those rings??? Not needed?? Did not work??? Production costs??? (I assume the latter)
Old August 9, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
It stops the bullet from being pushed into the case by the magazine spring of a lever action rifle.
It stops setback of the bullet under recoil. It does work for tubular mags but that's not what it was designed for. If it was then older .45 Colt cases wouldn't have them and I have yet to see a 9MM lever action.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

When I wrote this thread I couldn't remember just what it was called. Just now it has come to mind (2 hours later of course.) >Could it be considered a cannelureā€Ž ring?

indy1919: I don't know the reason for its discontinuance. But I sure think it was a great idea at one time. I guess like you thought. Just one step in the process of manufacturing ammo no longer needed.
Old August 10, 2012, 08:40 PM   #6
B.L.E.

I have seen that indention ring in some .44 magnum ammo also.

When black powder was all there was, the case was usually crimped over the bullet ogive which prevented bullet pull while a compressed load of black powder prevented bullet set back. My theory is that when smokeless loads became available, the charge no longer filled the case and the ammo makers felt a need to prevent bullet setback and put in that indented groove.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
My theory is that when smokeless loads became available, the charge no longer filled the case and the ammo makers felt a need to prevent bullet setback and put in that indented groove.
B.L.E. that sounds very plausible. But I question why they don't collar the their current brass today? As I found most of my >older brass was collared. < Being the cartridge is a 32-40 and current powders are mostly smokeless that the manufactures now use. Nothing changed over the last years 75 years. So why? no ring.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. Not sure why modern .32-40 brass doesn't have cannelure ring..I think some of those pistol & revolver cases had them just for looks..or possible identification.
One thing I am sure of though..they are a pain..with repeated firing (I have an original Win. High-Wall .38-55)..the cases will lengthen as this ring gets hammered out from firing..and I have had a few case seperations right at ring, where brass is thinnest. Starline now sells original length .38-55 brass with no ring.