The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old April 28, 2010, 03:51 PM   #76
markj

Quote:
So if I have a non-livestock bordering a neighbor who has livestock and is begging anyone around to take shots at coyotes is it ethical for me to take a shot?
Help him out and shoot some, it will give you something to talk about.

A friend has a pig composter, put in a whole hog that has died and it is a compost in a week or so then into the fields it goes, we put them coyotes in there and it is used for fertilizer. If not then we bury them in the garden area it is like 1/2 acre or so.
Old April 28, 2010, 09:29 PM   #77
oneounceload

Out in NV on vacation - saw two by the side of the road on the way to Virginia City - one had someones little dog or cat its mouth as they crossed the road - shoot those suckers every chance you can
Old April 28, 2010, 09:41 PM   #78
gun nut

No problem killing coyotes here.
Old April 29, 2010, 06:39 AM   #79
roy reali

re:Oneounceload

Quote:
one had someones little dog or cat its mouth
If that coyote had someones cat in its mouth, wouldn't that be a good thing? Espically if someone was an upland bird hunter?

I have personal experience that I have posted about elsewhere here about cats versus coyotes. In short, I used to frequent an area that at one time had many feral cats and very few birds. Coyotes moved in and the number of cats went down and the bird population went up.

I don't about you guys, but I would rather see coveys of quails then gangs of feral cats. But that's just me.
Old April 29, 2010, 09:41 AM   #80
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

And after the cats are gone, it's back to the quail.

Various Quail Unlimited tracts in Georgia have done studies on quail populations with and without varmint hunting. A reduction in any predator species enhances the quail population. Feral cats and coyotes seem to be the worst enemies, followed by raccoons and foxes.

However, in some areas, "fahr aints" are the worst enemy of all.
Old April 29, 2010, 10:50 AM   #81
Uncle Ben

Quote:
It's the equivalent of someone killing a human to harvest the kidneys and leaving them lay!
Sounds a little bit like PITA's belief that the millions of chickens that are killed for food each year is the same as the millions of people that were murdered in the halocaust.

I won't put ANY animal on the same level of value as a human being, regardless of the reason that it is killed. (though I do not condone killing for "sport" only)
Old April 30, 2010, 07:08 AM   #82
roy reali

Edible?

Has anyone tried eating coyote? I have never heard of it and from what they eat I could imagine what the meat tastes like. I know dog is consumed in some countries, maybe coyote meat is similar.
Old April 30, 2010, 09:50 AM   #83
GAR700

Don't forget cats are fun to shoot too!

Seriously, both coyotes and birds are fun to hunt. I am an opportunist. I shoot nearly everything I get a reasonable chance at (reasonable means legal, ethical, etc.). There are some areas where I don't shoot coyotes because the locals want them around to eat rodents out of their crops. Any population can be manipulated and used as a tool depending on the mangement objectives.

GAR
Old April 30, 2010, 10:13 AM   #84
RichardWA

I have no problem shooting coyotes on sight if they come onto my property. Although I have found that after I drop a couple the rest will stay away for a while.
Ruger 10-22, Marlin model 60 22lr, Marlin Stainless Steel model 60 22lr, Winchester Model 94 AE 44 mag, Mossberg model 500A 12 gauge pump, H&R Pardner 410, Mosin m38 , S&W model 19-5 357 mag, Colt DA 45, Colt Frontier Scout 22lr, Highpoint 9mm Marlin 81DL, Marlin 336 30-30, Berreta 950 .25acp
Old April 30, 2010, 04:48 PM   #85
rickyrick

Coyote taste like a rubber chicken, less filling.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:41 PM   #86
Italian_Marksman94

I am a christian and in the bible it says to not hunt animal for game so I follow that, I dont live near large coyote populations but the only time Id EVER shoot a coyote is if I was a farmer and they were actually causing problems, note I Italicize actually because some people shooot coyotes on sight but never had a problem with them but defend it with saying "Well they can kill chickens and stuff" when their isnt a farm in a good 10 miles haha, same goes for all small animals such as rabbits and groundhogs and Prairie dogs, unless their seriously disrupting your way of life Id never shoot them, thats why I dont hunt deer because I dont eat venison and they do nothing, the only thing I plan on hunting next year is Pig because you could eat it and for some people they cause alot of problems and turkey because you could eat that too but everything else is going to be perfectly safe around me.
Old May 1, 2010, 08:44 PM   #87
spaniel

Coyote ethics is doing your best to make a well-placed shot. We have far too many around here, we cannot sustain game bird populations and I caught one eyeing my little girl from fifty yards last year. Not a month goes by one isn't hit on the road at the end of my ditchline. I shoot them on sight and if no one wants the pelt it is fertilizer.

I don't shoot much I don't eat. I quit hunting rodents (rabbits, squirrels) years ago because the fleas cleaning them made me lose my desire to eat them. However maintaining the ecology is as needed as meat hunting so I do what I need to do. Same reason I shoot extra does and give the meat away, someone has to control populations.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:08 AM   #88
TXGunNut

Sometimes fertilizing native flora is reason enough for killing out-of-control fauna, native and otherwise. In some cases my neighbor's well-being is my well-being and if I were the Capt's neighbor he'd have a straight-shooting ally on the coyote/wolf issue. SSS is a workable plan. Even a small pack of coyotes or wolves can cost a rancher over $100/day. Try pulling a c-note out of your wallet first thing tomorrow, throw it away. Tomorrow, every day. Predator control looking any better? Ranching is a hard work, low/margin proposition. Out-of-control predator populations take the profit out of ranching in marginal areas. If ranchers can't make a profit we need to take our hunting quite seriously or give serious thought to a vegetarian diet. JMHO, of course. YRMV.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:55 AM   #89
troy_mclure

I've trapped and hunted coyotes(and many other varmints including feral cat).

I've done it for money, enjoyment, and population control.

I've skinned them out as well as left them lay.

i always try to make a clean kill.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 3, 2010, 02:17 PM   #90
yellolab

Kill them all here

Kevin
Old May 3, 2010, 02:29 PM   #91
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
in the bible it says to not hunt animal for game
Where exactly?
Old May 3, 2010, 04:39 PM   #92
markj

Quote:
including feral cat
My nephew was home on leave awhile ago, he is headed back to Afgan this week. He was in Okinowa and was eating at this local place, had some sort of meat on a stick he said was delicious and he was in love with this. He asked what it was only to find out it was cat, marinated and grilled on a stick.

When he gets out he wants to hunt some feral cats........

I am going to do a yote and see if he likes it too......

Marines, they will eat anything. God Bless them all.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:22 PM   #93
mothermopar

I don't hunt. However, if you're eating it, go ahead. If its causing a big problem, go ahead.

I just dislike the notion of killing something, the sole purpose being to take its fur, gall bladder, etc. The chi-coms do this crap enmasse and look who they are.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:49 PM   #94
troy_mclure

Quote:
I just dislike the notion of killing something, the sole purpose being to take its fur, gall bladder, etc. The chi-coms do this crap enmasse and look who they are.
and just how do you think this country kept its self going after the war of independence?

i know a few guys that make their sole incomes trapping and "rooting".
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 3, 2010, 09:14 PM   #95
Italian_Marksman94

If my memory is correct its in the beginning somewhere in the old testament that hunting them with the purpose of not using them for food or clothing or etc. is a sin and all though so is lying and I do it on a daily basis like most people I figured this rule was pretty easy to keep so why not keep it?

***Edit***
Heres a link that kinda describes what I personally believe.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15922859/H...ng-and-fishing
Old May 4, 2010, 09:45 AM   #96
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Italian_Marksman, you reckon little David was out there with his sling so that he could have wolf meat for supper?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:52 AM   #97
Scorch

Quote:
Marines, they will eat anything. God Bless them all.
Why, thank you!! Yep, and remember, before you eat most things, you gotta kill 'em.

As far as the Bible on hunting, I see this in the Bible: Esau was a hunter, and he was blessed. Peter was a fisherman, amd he was blessed. Cain was a farmer . . .
Old May 4, 2010, 12:15 PM   #98
rickyrick

Hope all those feral dogs and cats that get euthanized aren't making into the Hormel or the Dinty-More.:barf:
Old May 4, 2010, 12:55 PM   #99
orangello

I'll pass on hunting feral cats personally, but to each his own. As far as coyote taste, a friend who had some dog in Korea commented on the strong smell of the sauce & was told that most dishes with dog had a strong aroma, might want some spicy gravy. :barf:

Quote:
...unless their seriously disrupting your way of life Id never shoot them, thats why I dont hunt deer because I dont eat venison and they do nothing,
Hunt whatever you like, but don't think of deer as harmless. Their jaywalking kills & injures many people every year in this country. I've heard them called the "deadliest animal in North America" many times. Heck, i bought my nephew some ammo for his .260 just to encourage him to get rid of a few of the jaywalking jerks.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...53/detail.html As discussed here.
Old May 4, 2010, 03:49 PM   #100
Italian_Marksman94

Yes all those biblical figures were hunters and fishermen but they ate them for food or used them for skins or to protect there sheep heard, the article I posted talked of hunting for fun or bragging about your awesome epic 6 trillion yard Iron sight shot.
Closed Thread