The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 23, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
51_60_colt

BP revs in Colorado?

Hey ya'll I'm headed to colorado in a few weeks for vacation...fly fishin and all. I was thinkin about packin one of my bp revs just in case i ran into sumthin in the woods. Anybody else do this? Any laws I should know about?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
CraigC

I reckon it depends on who owns the land you're gonna be on. Or does it???
Old May 23, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
51_60_colt

haha well, we are renting a house there that has 70 acres for a few days. and truthfully I'm not sure who owns the land we'll be fishing on, more concerned about big critters with teeth.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
SamStafford

I would take one with me. You never know what you may see at there.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:12 AM   #5
CraigC

I'd be more concerned about critters with shiny stars on their shirts.

If I was 'that' concerned about critters with teeth, I'd want something a little more potent than a C&B pistol that I could also conceal.
Old May 23, 2009, 03:37 PM   #6
mykeal

CraigC's got that right. Get a hunting license - whether you're hunting or not, being caught in the woods with a gun during hunting season and without a license is an easy violation.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
long rider

What mykeal said, + there is a book on the rights to
carrying wepons in 50 states, it gives you all you need
to know on transport, to carry,allthe info you need,
+ you can allways check with the local pd department
just to be safe.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:13 PM   #8
51_60_colt

alright,the shiny stars scare me too haha well...only reason to carry a BP rev is because i dont have a cartage pistol, also...if your in the woods, not hunting, no proof of hunting. What can they get you on? Carrying a gun, as long as it isnt prohibited in certain areas, is not a crime.
Old May 23, 2009, 07:13 PM   #9
mykeal

Most, if not all, states consider merely carrying a weapon in an area where the animals are considered game is, by definition, hunting. No other 'proof of hunting' is necessary. It is often left to the discretion of the game officer whether to charge or not; some will do so with no more evidence than possession of a firearm; others are more lenient and look for other signs. Once charged, the courts have very strongly sided with the judgement of the officer.

Not trying to argue with you, just pointing out the possibilities. It's your wallet, do as you want.
Old May 23, 2009, 08:33 PM   #10
51_60_colt

I know you arent arguing, I wanted to know what ya'll thought, and thanks for your opinions! We'll be fishing out in the middle of nowhere, I read up on colorado's laws, you can open carry anywhere unless it is posted prohibited, and you can carry a rifle with no prob according to the law. I'm not sure what I'll do haha. But thank you for you opinions I deff. respect and take them into account!
Old May 23, 2009, 09:20 PM   #11
MarshalofFortSmith

Colt,
If you get the chance go see Creede, Colorado while you are out there. I promise you...you won't be disappointed. It's just north of South Fork on SR 149 in the middle of the Rio Grande National Forest. The 'dirty little coward that shot Mr. Howard' was killed in his saloon in Creede. Also, Bat Masterson spent some time there as well. So same he was the town marshal for a while. The headwaters of the Rio Grande River are not too far away and there is a lot of fly fishing in the area. If you are looking for wildlife there are lots of Bighorns, Elk, Moose, and other critters to be seen. Take the road up into what use to be upper Creede. It's like stepping back to the the old mining days. Heck far...just going to Creede is like stepping back in time. John Wayne, Dan Blocker, and others use to stay at the Snowshoe Motel ( now Snowshoe Lodge ) to check on their mining interest...years ago. There is more to see than I share here with you in this post. Go see it...if you have the chance.
Old May 24, 2009, 06:26 AM   #12
CaptainCrossman

Colorado fishing ?

take a steel frame gun, and load it with full chambers of powder, at least 40 grains

I'd prefer a Walker or Dragoon with 50-60 grains of powder capacity in that case

not the place for a brass frame gun with 15 grains of powder, that's for sure
Old May 24, 2009, 07:36 AM   #13
mykeal

I guess what I'm trying to say, and I should have been more explicit about this, is that there are two different sets of 'laws' regarding carrying weapons. There's the usual state and local law about concealed and/or open carry and then there are the fish and game regulations. Abiding with the former doesn't automatically mean you will get by the latter.

If you're carrying a sidearm that is the wrong caliber for the season (for instance, a .36 in elk season) and a skinning knife, and/or you're off an established trail, and you don't have a license for the season, and there's no other mitigating evidence, you may very well get cited for a fish and game violation even though you meet the concealed/open carry laws.

On the other hand, if you're hip deep in a stream with fly fishing equipment, or hiking on an established trail with camping/hiking/fishing gear only they'll probably overlook any caliber/license/season problem.

It's wise to check not only the state law about concealed carry, but the fish and game regulations as well. Game wardens are generally not out to cause trouble for tourists enjoying the state's wilderness, but on the other hand many poachers use that excuse when they get caught. It's best to make it easy for the officer to decide which you are.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:16 PM   #14
51_60_colt

good advice mykeal and I'll take it. Dont worry captain, i wont take my brasser this time haha, and hhmmm gong to creede sounds nice too