The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Craigsirna

Colt DA 41 question

I'm not sure what model or value on the pistol It's marked Colt DA 41 on the barrel, but confused on what it is when looking Blue Book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zpfile000.jpg (239.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg zpfile001.jpg (247.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg zpfile002.jpg (246.0 KB, 33 views)
Old February 13, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Looks to me to be a Colt Model of 1882.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Bob Wright

Well, one of the Model 1882~1894 Serires, or a commercial Army Special.

Bob Wright
Old February 13, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Typo on my part.

I meant to type 1892, aka the Colt Army & Navy.

There were a subsequent number of variations on the 1892 base, but all were very similar.

Old February 13, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is a commercial Colt New Navy. The Model 1892/1894/1895/1896/1901/1903 terminology really applied only to the Army contract guns. The civilian models changed when the military revolvers did, but Colt never gave them new names or model numbers.

The .41 caliber guns were all commercial, as the military never used .41 caliber. Colt called the model the New Army & Navy but sold two versions, the Army and the Navy, differing only in the grips. That is the New Navy.

It is listed in the Blue Book as "Model 1892 'New Army & Navy' (2nd Issue)."

Jim

Last edited by James K; February 13, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Craigsirna

Colt DA 41

Thanks for the help I'm going to try to figure out the value
Old February 13, 2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Craigsirna

Confused Still

I know modern guns, but I'm still confused. The firearm I have rotates counter Clockwise has the side plate on the right it has double locking bolts and a 4 1/2" bbl. It falls into different areas, that's why I'm stuck and can't figure out what model and what value

Again thank you in advance for any help that you can supply
Old February 13, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
B. Lahey

I don't know what to tell you about that model except that prices are oddly low for an old Colt. They don't have the collector frenzy swirling about them like SAAs and even the other DA models that came after them. I guess that's one reason I like them; they seem underappreciated. I like the .41 Colt round as well, probably for the same reason.

Yours seems to be in good shape, many are much rougher. Maybe get a box of ammo and see what it will do...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...l-ammo-41-colt
Old February 14, 2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

$70!!!

Old February 14, 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

.41 Colt ammo is expensive. Unlike many obsolete calibers, cases cannot be made from some other cartridge cases, so the tooling has to be made, plus sales are, of necessity, limited. The least expensive I found was about $60, but there may be cheaper sources.

Hi, Craigsirna,

I fail to see your confusion. I think Bob, Mike and myself have pretty clearly told you what model you have. The counterclockwise cylinder rotation, the double row of cylinder notches and the sideplate on the right describe the New Army and Navy revolvers. The .38 caliber version was the standard U.S. service pistol from 1892 to 1909; it was the pistol (revolver) that notoriously failed to stop Philippine rebels and led to the decision to re-adopt a .45 caliber, first the Model 1909 revolver, then the Model 1911 automatic pistol.

The .41 Caliber version was strictly civilian; had it been adopted by the Army, it would probably have been more effective in combat.

Hi, B. Lahey,

You are right about that model being underappreciated by collectors. That may be because so few of those guns are in what might be called "collectible condition", meaning simply that most are dogs. Many are in very poor condition, mainly the military guns, and/or are inoperable. The design is not a very good one, and broken springs and other parts are common. I have been fortunate enough to acquire several in fairly nice shape, but I would say 60% are junk or close to it.

Maybe part of the problem is the aura those guns have. The SAA evokes images of the Old West; the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols of victory in two World Wars. The Models 1892-1905 bring forth memories of ineffectiveness in unremembered battles in an imperialistic war.

Jim
Old February 14, 2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

".41 Colt ammo is expensive. Unlike many obsolete calibers, cases cannot be made from some other cartridge cases, so the tooling has to be made, plus sales are, of necessity, limited. The least expensive I found was about $60, but there may be cheaper sources."

Trust me, I know the cases are expensive, and why. Starline has them for $150.50 for 250 cases.