The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
SIMP

Considering New 9mm for Conceal Carry

All,
I'm a proud owner of an LCP that I currently pocket carry but I've been considering buying a sub-compact 9mm to carry IWB or OWB when weather/dress permits. Here's a list of guns that I have on the bucket list:

Ruger LC9
S&W Shield
Berretta Nano
Glock 26

Out of this list, which would you recommend based on your experiences or what you've heard? Even if you don't care for any of them, which one would you prefer? The lesser of the four evils....
Old February 4, 2013, 11:55 AM   #2
9mm

Glock 26, had the LC9 didn't like internal lock!
Old February 4, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, I also really like the G26. I sort of felt like of all the sub-compacts I tried it felt the most like a “real” gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 4, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Downeast

Out of those four, I had the LC9 and didn't like it. Sold it and bought the Shield and have been very happy with it. Never handled the Glock 26 or Nano
Old February 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Ruger LC9
S&W Shield
Berretta Nano
If you are considering any of these pistols, you should also consider the Kahr CM9 (or pricier PM9).

It's a bit smaller and easier to conceal than the Shield, and just as easy to shoot well.

The CM9 is a huge step above the LC9 in my experience. It's easier to shoot and softer shooting, is simpler to use and maintain, and has a MUCH better trigger feel.

I can't really compare to the Nano, since I haven't fired one.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:59 PM   #6
patinmo

Glock 26 gets my vote
Old February 4, 2013, 01:01 PM   #7
bigghoss

Had a G26 for some time and it has worked perfectly through a few thousand rounds. Of those listed it's the ONLY one I would trust my life to or recommend to others for the same. I would consider the Shield if it didn't have a manual safety. The LC9 has a mag disconnect, manual safety (on a DAO gun) and an internal key lock which I consider absolute deal breakers as far as defensive guns are concerned. I'm not crazy about the LCI either. Haven't seen enough reports on the Nano to say one way or another if it's good.

Any particular reason why you're not considering a Kahr or something beyond the four listed?
Old February 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #8
redhologram

I'm going to chime in and mention I like my DB9 for carry.
From your "bucket list" however:
My preference would the Glock 26.
I enjoy my time on the range when I have the gen 4, 19 in my hand. Glocks are reliable IMO and just handle well for me.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:15 PM   #9
915A

Give the Sig P290RS a look as well
Old February 4, 2013, 02:44 PM   #10
chrisp51

Kel-tec PF-9. lightest thinnest 9mm out there for less than $300 and it works (at least mine does).
Old February 4, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
kahrguy

Maybe add the sccy cpx-2 and the KT p-11. And cw series kahr
Old February 4, 2013, 04:11 PM   #12
peacefulgary

Consider the Ruger SR9c.
It's much easier to shoot rapidly with accuracy than the LC9 and it's really no larger than the Glock 26.

Old February 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 26 or the Nano.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:19 PM   #14
erhodes

My vote goes for teh glock 26 first and then the shield. Any glock will make an excellent ccw since they are very reliable and will feed anything. I have shot the shield and think it is a fantastic gun and as long as you practice with it the safety will pose no problem. I actually have one of these on my wishlist.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:31 PM   #15
TailGator

I have been carrying a G26 since before the Shield and Nano came out. Nothing wrong with the latter two, but the G26 has been reliable and accurate, and bumps the capacity up a bit, so I haven't really been tempted to change.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

If you suddenly want to branch out of those 4 aforementioned...Let me know
Old February 4, 2013, 04:49 PM   #17
LouisianaAviator

Can't go wrong with the Glock 26. Tested and proven. The other ones you listed are relatively new. I carry a Glock 26 frequently and shoot it a lot. It won't let you down.

Get the Glock and don't look back
Old February 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

My buddy just bought a Ruger LC9 and I've got to say that I am not impressed. We haven't had it to the range yet so it may the verdict is really still out but my first impressions were not good.

It is not on your list, but the Walther PPS is worth at least taking a look at.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Yung.gunr

We got an LC9 for the wife because she liked the feel of it so much more than anything else. She hated the recoil when she shot it. Now it just sits in the safe till I finally get around to putting some JHPs through it to test it for carry. I will decide at that point if it's a keeper or not.

Feelings so far on it, feels good in my hand, nice and thin for CCW, decent capacity, 9mm, inexpensive.
I don't like the mag disconnect or safety. The trigger pull is long and heavy enough it doesn't need a safety.
I'm betting that it ends up getting sold.

The Sig P290RS is looking good to me. Recently got a P238 and my eyes have been opened to Sig. Probably try to trade the LC9 and something or cash to get the P290.

As far as your list I would go with a single stack.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:01 PM   #20
scrubcedar

Tried a cpx-2 today. Not as small as it looks in the picture and the grip is larger in your hands than a beretta 92. If you've got big hands still a good choice probably though.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:21 PM   #21
+1k ammo

Don't know about the others, but held a Nano and bought a Shield and have fired none.

I think you might have to go and handle them, because I was bent on getting a Nano based on catalog and pictures, but ended up liking the way the Shield felt.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:38 PM   #22
Theohazard

My EDC has been a Glock 19 for a while now. Just today I shot a 26 for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how ridiculously easy to shoot the 26 is; there's barely more recoil than my 19 and that's with the flush-fit magazine. Now I want to get one for a new EDC gun and make my 19 a dedicated suppressor host.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:36 AM   #23
hdbiker

LC9

I had a chance to try out a range friends new LC9 and really liked it.It fit my hand great,trigger is what I expected,its small,light,and I hit hit the sillouette 7 out of 8 times,at 15 yards the first time I fired it.Seemed like a great pocket pistol to me. biker
Old February 5, 2013, 12:16 PM   #24
915A

Quote:
The Sig P290RS is looking good to me.
Just got ours and love it.
Old February 5, 2013, 01:16 PM   #25
Hoosier_Daddy

Of your listings, I recommend the S&W Shield. My neighbor has it in 40S&W and I like! I would expect the 9mm to be as good.

The Ruger LC9 would not be on my list. I personally hate the safety arrangements on that handgun. Ruger had a great thing with the LCP but I think they screwed the pooch with the LC9 IMHO.

If you wish to expand your list I recommend the Walther PPS. I used to carry a S&W M&P 9 c (compact) but switched to the Walther PPS. I made the switch before I ever heard of the shield and have no regrets. The PPS holds fewer rounds than the shield but as my CPL legal counsel stated, "if you need more than 6 rounds, you walked into the wrong alley." The M&P9c is a pretty much permanent fixture in my car door map pocket.