The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1
TheNocturnus

Picked up a S&W 645 today. Had a question.

Hey guys. I found myself with G.A.S. lately and we all know the only remedy for that... get a new gun! I got a Smith and Wesson model 645 with 3 magazines today. I was just curious what year it was made and why they discontinued them.

The serial # is TAT01XX. This is my first .45 pistol and while I wanted to shoot it today, nobody had any FMJ practice ammo... anywhere. I wasn't about to shoot off very expensive defense ammo so I will have to wait for wally world to get some in stock.

The gun shops are a friggin mad house right now. You'd think the world was ending or something.

Anyway here is a pic of her:

Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 13, 2013, 11:37 PM   #2
BarryLee

The book I checked states that they were made from 1986 to 1988.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 13, 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
TheNocturnus

Quote:
The book I checked states that they were made from 1986 to 1988.
Wow, such a short run. I wonder why they stopped after only 2 years. It seems like a very solid gun to me. I had a Model 469 a while ago and it ran like a swiss watch.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:17 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
Wow, such a short run.
Yes, does sound strange, but let me also add I am not expert in gun history. I pulled that from a copy of the Blue Book, but someone else may have more information that can clarify.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 14, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
TheNocturnus

Found this ad for the gun.

Buy a gun and get a free jacket. lol
Old January 14, 2013, 12:52 AM   #6
TheNocturnus

Just thought of another question. I plan on carrying this beast as my primary CCW for a while. I have it in a leather OWB holster that came with it but I don't really like the holster's retention snap thing. It's hard to quick draw from it.

Here it is:

I can conceal it very easily as I am tall and thin. I want a similar holster but without the retention snap. I could cut the strap off but I don't want to ruin the holster. Any good suggestions for a holster for this monster?
Old January 14, 2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

Completely useless 645 histiry. A S&W 645 was carried by Sonny Crocket in the 3rd and 4th seasons of Miami Vice.

I got mine in 1985 in a trade for an excellent Colt 1911 US Property marked built in 1918. Good trade for the $500 S&W then, but not so much in retrospective. Leading to my signature line. Still, liked the 645 then, and continue to today. I wanted something to shoot, and thought the Colt belonged in someone's display case.
It has shot well, and been reliable from the start with all sorts of ammo. From factory ball to cast handloads, and todays modern defense loads.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 14, 2013, 01:03 AM   #8
BarryLee

You might consider Simply Rugged they make nice holsters and the prices are not outrageous.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...155&parent=669
- Milton Friedman
Old January 14, 2013, 01:09 AM   #9
TheNocturnus

@Cheapshooter
Yeah I saw that tidbit on the Wiki page. It is a neat bit of trivia though. So the 645 trade led to your sig line huh, also an interesting bit of TFL trivia. I wish I could follow your rule but to get a new gun I often have to trade one of mine. One day maybe I can just keep buying new guns and keep them... one day.

A gun to me is simply a tool and really does not have any sentimental value. I have yet to be handed a gun from a relative or friend and if I did that would be the gun that was off limits as far as trading or selling went.

Also just thought of a solution to my holster issue. Why don't I just not snap it shut, any problem with that? Also, maybe I could simply remove the buttons.

Edit: Just saw the link you gave Barry, I will look into it. Thanks
Old January 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Que

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson your 645 was made in 1987. The 645 was produced from late 1985 through 1988. It was discontinued with the introduction of the 3rd generation. There was overlap production of the 645 and the 4506 that it basically became. These transitional guns had features of both.

My 645 is an incredible gun. I had a 4506 acquired in 1988 and prefer the 645 which I shoot as often as I can. You couldn't ask for a more reliable gun. It is true that it will even reliably feed empty brass (as will the 4506, I'm told).

If your gun has the Philips or hex head bolt securing the right safety lever I would strongly recommend applying some blue Loc Tite as it will most likely loosen otherwise.

While I highly value my 3rd Gen Smiths my 2nd Gens (645, 669, 659) are my favorites.

Last edited by Que; January 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
carguychris

That. Ad. Is. Hilarious! The only way it could possibly be more 80's is if someone was wearing aviator-style sunglasses!

OK, back on topic...
Quote:
Wow, such a short run. I wonder why they stopped after only 2 years.
The reason is simple: S&W introduced their 3rd-generation centerfire automatic pistols in 1988 and replaced the 2nd-gen M645 with the M4506. (There were no 1st-generation S&W automatics made in .45ACP.)

In fact, S&W curiously built a few hundred so-called "transitional" guns that were marked as a Model 645 but had a 3rd-gen style one-piece wraparound grip unit rather than a separate metal mainspring housing.

FWIW the M645 and the closely related SAO M745 are considered precursors to the 3rd-gen pistols in one respect: they were the only standard-production 2nd-gen pistols built with a pressed-in barrel bushing rather than a separate 1911-style removable bushing. S&W adapted this feature to all 3rd-gen models.

[EDIT: Just noticed that Mr. Cool Dude has said sunglasses hanging from his jacket! Score! ]

Last edited by carguychris; January 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
TheNocturnus

Thanks for the info guys. TFL never ceases to amaze me.
Now I just gotta hunt down one of those jackets...
Old January 14, 2013, 03:01 PM   #13
aden67

In fact, S&W curiously built a few hundred so-called "transitional" guns that were marked as a Model 645 but had a 3rd-gen style one-piece wraparound grip unit rather than a separate metal mainspring housing.

Yep, and I love my 645 transitional!

Old January 14, 2013, 03:34 PM   #14
TheNocturnus

@aden67

That's a nice looking piece. Mine has several idiot marks and was very filthy when I got it. I have cleaned the heck out it and polished it but it still looks dirty. Guess i'll just clean it again.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:19 PM   #15
dgludwig

Enjoyed the ad from yesteryear, TheNocturnus. One might argue that the Model 945 is the final culmination of the Model 645.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:43 PM   #16
TheNocturnus

@dgludwig
I can certainly see the resemblance. The 945 looks like the offspring of a 645 that mated with a 1911. I really like these older S&W autos. I may have to start collecting them. I now wish i had not sold my model 469. I can hear cheapshooter right now...
Old January 14, 2013, 07:58 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
I now wish i had not sold my model 469. I can hear cheapshooter right now...
Yeah, and his point is still valid. Ask me how I know...
Old January 15, 2013, 02:03 AM   #18
TheNocturnus

What's a good way to get those scratches out? I know they add character but some of them just look bad.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:15 AM   #19
Powderman

Stainless steel is fairly easy to work with. If you have a smooth finish, you can polish it yourself. I recommend 6 to 8 inch muslin wheels, and starting with 240 grit Polish-O-Ray, from Brownell's.

Set up and true the wheel, then add the polish and wait for it to dry. Use smooth, light pressure--let the wheel do the work. For a brushed finish, you can go up one grit finer--anything else will start giving you a very nice, shiny finish. For the satin finished surfaces, you can have the parts bead-blasted with a fine bead grade.

Or, you can cut to the chase, and send the thing back to Smith and Wesson--they do a fine job of refinishing pistols and revolvers.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:19 PM   #20
TheNocturnus

@Powderman
Thanks for the advice but I don't have a dremel or a buffing wheel. Can I use some fine grain sand paper (or emery cloth) and metal polish, would that work?
Old January 15, 2013, 04:39 PM   #21
COLTSFORME

You bought a great gun, made for a short time. Very fine paper 4/0 or less will make it look new. Jewlery supply stores stock the fine paper
Old January 15, 2013, 08:27 PM   #22
Powderman

You don't want to use a Dremel for polishing; runs WAY too fast for a good job. Using a hand method of finishing will work for a smooth surface--just go slow and use light pressure.

I mentioned this already--but if you want the best possible finish or re-finish on a Smith and Wesson handgun, send it back to the factory.

Finishing packages for your pistol can cost as little as $110.00 from the factory. Take a look:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...6_757896_image

And they do an excellent job.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:54 AM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

I remember when that ad was running in Guns & Ammo and other firearms magazines at the time...

God, to think that people actually dressed like that.

Still better than leisure suits from the 1970s!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
That. Ad. Is. Hilarious! The only way it could possibly be more 80's is if someone was wearing aviator-style sunglasses!
Ummm. What's wrong with aviator sunglasses... I still wear them today.

Now I wish Members Only jackets would come back. I loved them as a kid.
Old April 8, 2015, 05:54 PM   #25
gdkaiser

645's

The original 645 was submitted to the Army as a replacement for the 1911, but lost out due to cost and DoD wanting 9mm nato so the M9 was selected. I have the transition 645 a friend has 1st gen and a 4516. Transitional looks the best as mine has polished sides on the slide, my friends are satin finished. great shooter no problems!

Last edited by gdkaiser; April 8, 2015 at 06:26 PM.