The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Nitecapt

Which pistol (Volquartsen) & which sight?

I am planning to buy a Volquartsen Pistol. Right now, I remain undecided between the lightweight and the scorpion. I have attached photos of both. I am not particular about looks but I am about weight because my wife will also be shooting the gun and she likes them light. I would get the scorpion with the optional compensator.

I am wondering if one will be more accurate over the other if I am to shoot silouhettes?

Any opinions? Any owners of both?

Now as to sights. I am thinking about the C-More Serendipity or the Leupold Delta Point. I would choose a 3.5 MOA dot on either one. I am hearing great things about the Leupold but I would like to hear more from the readership here.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ray

The lightweight https://www.volquartsen.com/products/998-lightweight

and the scorpion https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1120-scorpion
Old December 4, 2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Fishbed77

From a practical standpoint, I'd go with the Scorpion if you are going to be using an optic. The benefit of the longer barrel of the Lightweight is the longer sight radius, which is rendered moot with the optic. I would think the balance would be better as well, and your wife will appreciate the lighter overall weight.

That said, the Lightweight looks really cool, and the steel receiver doesn't bother me at all. I personally prefer the extra heft, and the general thought is that steel will outlast aluminum (though in a rimfire, there is probably no difference). Volquartsen refers to this as their "silhouette style pistol" though I'm not sure what exactly that entails. If it were just for me, I'd probably go for the 7.5" Lightweight.

Last edited by Fishbed77; December 4, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Nitecapt

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I read somewhere that the lightweight carbon fiber barrel cracked when someone applied heat to it.
I'm not sure I like that. I am indeed leaning toward the scorpion. Frankly, I'll go with whichever is the more accurate.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
1 old 0311-1

In my OPINION I prefer the looks of the Lightweight. But OPINIONS are just like......................
Old December 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Nitecapt

yup, i agree but accuracy is the key
Old December 4, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Fishbed77

My suspicion is that there is zero difference in mechanical accuracy between these two models. The real source of accuracy in these pistols is Volquartsen's excellent trigger and sear, which both models have. I have a Volquartsen fire control group in a Ruger Mark III, and it transforms a very good pistol into an amazing one.

If you have a chance to handle both pistols, go with the one that feels better in your hand. That will be the one you shoot better.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Nitecapt

Thank you Fishbed. I wish I could handle the gun. I'm too far away from Iowa to do that. I was hoping they would throw me a couple of passes to the January shot show. Then I would go to Vegas and see them in person.

Or if I could get credentialed (which I can't) I would go there myself.
There's a lot of reluctance in spending about 1600 for a pistol I've never handled and you are correct that would make my decision MUCH easier.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Venom1956

I went with the first gen LLV upper on my custom mkII honestly I haven't had a chance to fire it yet because it went to vq for a full custom trigger along with a mkIII so when it gets home this month ill let u know!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 4, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Nitecapt

I can't wait. I'm wondering whether the Scorpion is an improvement or just a less costly build for them.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Venom1956

Honestly i'd guess its probably performance driven then they made it monolithic to streaine production. I got the gen1 simply because i loved the look of it. Im sure the gen2 ie great
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 10, 2012, 11:59 AM   #11
ggood

Volquartsen 22

I''m sorry I can't help you with your decision but just wanted to tell you that for many years I owned a Volquartson blue V-6 with wood grips.It was a little heavy and it had adj sights but you could add whatever you wanted. It was the most amazing and accurate gun I ever owned.Shot as tight as a rifle at rational distances. I'm sure you will find it to be a great gun whichever one you purchase. I stopped shooting .22 and at that time was into 45 and to reload was so inexpensive at that time I just decided to sell it and buy another custom 45. Anyway Good Luck

Last edited by ggood; December 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old December 10, 2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Nitecapt

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be getting the lightweight Volquartsen. Is it STILL cheap to reload 45? Seems that stuff gets more expensive by the day.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Nitecapt

Had to rethink

Scott Volquartsen has not returned calls or attempted to discuss my purchase with me so I'm going to be looking elsewhere.
Anyone familiar with Oregon Precision Arms?
Old December 27, 2012, 01:20 PM   #14
ggood

RE-no call back

I am sorry they never called you back.When I bought my pistol shop was still called Tom's Gun Bluing Shop or someting like that. Original owner might or might not still be there.Could be run by family members.In those days a custom builder didn"t have as much business as they have today even though it seems that there is a lot more of them today.I think there is much more demand for custom smiths today and it seems like the waits for anything being done is much longer .I guess its a sign of the times.I understand a persons frustration in not getting a callback.Anyway I wish you the best of luck in any decision you make.I'm getting kind of tired putting up with guns that need tweaking and having to send them for work and waiting,shipping costs etc.Sorry,I just reflecting on the past.Again-good luck
Old December 27, 2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Nitecapt

I start to wonder how invested a business is in their product when they start not returning calls. I was ready to plunk down the money and now I'm left looking at other custom 22's. Maybe after the holidays he will find my number buried on his desk or when he has nothing better to do, he will call me.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
Scott Volquartsen has not returned calls or attempted to discuss my purchase with me so I'm going to be looking elsewhere.
Well, it is the Christmas season. Maybe the guy is on vacation or spending time with his family.