The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
chewie146

.270 bullet weights

Hey all,

I'm asking the expertise at thefiringline about bullet weights and my favorite cartridge in the medium bore category. I've had great results with 130s in my 700, but the 150s group like a shotgun. Would going to a lighter bullet weight likely result in similar groups to the 130s? I'm looking to stuff it for coyote and varmints (not trying to save pelts) and I would like a round that fragments well with good accuracy. I'm talking stuff like coyotes, so the accuracy doesn't have to be minute of gnat, but it should be better than 4" at 100 yards. I'm getting around 1" groups with 130s at 100 yards, est. I've only shot a few 3-shot groups at around 1/2 inch, so I'm hedging on 1" groups.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Axelwik

I've had pretty good accuracy with the Sierra 90-grain hollow points out of my XL7 in .270, but every gun is different.

All you can do is try.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

For what your looking at I would look hard at some of the newer 110gr bullets they have out for the 6.8's. They would still give you a bit of bearing surface and a little lenght to adjust with in the cases.

I have runs some 100gr loads through my .270 and found it wasn't overly excited about them. Most grouped in the 2-2.5" area, where as some old Barnes 120's drilled tiny holes one atop another.

To be honest, if your rifle is shooting the 130's good, I would simply look at either the Hornady SST or Nosler BT and see if I could keep the load and accuracy as close as possible to what your already hunting with. This way you have the same dope as you standard loads and it makes things a whole lot easier when you want to simply go from game to varmints.

If your shooting yotes within 100yds and your muzzle velocity is anywhere above 2850fps either of the above two bullets is going to be devastating on them. As for hunting in area where a ricochet might be an issue, I would lean hard on the 110's and see what you can come up with that works. You should have no problem getting them up to 3100fps or so with any of several medium burning powders in the neighborhood of IMR-3031. That is only there as a for instance as I have not looked up ny data, just going on burn rate.

Also, while your working you loads up, again you should figure out you longest expected shot, and try to match the lighter bullets load as close to the same impact as your hunting loads. This again makes it very easy to go form one to the other with out having to re sight your rifle for each. (EXAMPLE) If your standard loads hit dead on at 100yds and the other hits 1/2" above that is close enough then check them both at 200yds. If the standard is 1-2" low and the light one hits dead on your set to go. They don't ahve to be exact just close enough you don't have to worry about which one your using and adjusting the scope back and forth for each.

Hope this helps.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Doyle

Quote:
I've had great results with 130s in my 700, but the 150s group like a shotgun
This is a common theme among .270 shooters. It was with me too. One of the reasons I no longer own a .270.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5
joshobrien77

I'm shooting 90grn sierra HPs and they group tight out of my 2011 M70. My best load has been with 58gr of H4350 and CCI Primers. Shoots an inch over my 130 zero rounds so its a cake hold.

I have gone through several loads with the Hornady 110 vmax with limited luck. No question I could take a coyote with it but the pattern not group. Also noticed a few went through sideways so I don't think my twist rate is stabilizing them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old October 12, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
chewie146

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info. Next month I think I'm going to make some purchases and work up some loads.
Old October 12, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
SFW

The 90grn Sierras have worked great for me as well.