The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
John L. Smith

Inertia vs gas driven semi's

Ok all you experts. Which is better inertia driven or gas driven semi automatics. I have seen that Stoeger is inertia driven, which other brands are inertia driven and which brands are gas driven. I have read where the gas driven ones have less recoil but require more and better cleaning.
Tell me the differences- advantages & disadvantages
Old June 7, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
oneounceload

Inertia (and Benelle is the top of the heap) do not use a gas system to operate the action - it is more like a pistol's "blowback" design in simplest terms, which means it does not use the weight of a gas system or the pulse reduction of one to lessen recoil. The added weight of the gas system reduces actual recoil, the operation of the gas system reduces the perceived recoil (AKA "kick").

The inertia therefore has no ports to foul up or keep clean.
Whether the reduction in recoil from the gas system is of importance to you can be determined by firing the exact same shells through both guns in one session and determining which you like better

It's a tough choice, but someone has to make it!..Good luck.....
Old June 7, 2011, 06:40 PM   #3
BigJimP

Benelli makes a very good Inertia system ...( Stoeger is the poor 4th cousin of Benelli - and I would not say their systems are the same as the Benelli system). It looks similar / but I don't think the internal components are the same .... Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, etc are all owned by Beretta ...but it does not mean they are identical. I've seen way too many issues with a varitey of Stoeger and Franchi products ...and next to none with Benelli or Beretta.

Inertia guns all shoot cleaner... Gas guns / will have less recoil ....

Which is better ...better for what ..?? I own a pair of Benelli SuperSport models one in 12ga and one in 20ga and they have been very trouble free for close to 50,000 shells. The Super Sport model - is Benelli's target gun / sporting clays gun ...but I also use it as a "rain" gun, travel gun - when I only want to take 1 gun to do everything pretty well ( hunting, skeet, sporting clays, trap, etc ) ....

If I wanted a gas gun ....I'd look at the Beretta 391's, Browning Silver or Maxus, Winchester SX 3 .....( Browning and Winchester are basically the same, they are both owned by FN these days ..but I think Browning is pretty much running their shotgun operations).

There isn't a wrong or right answer - gas or inertia ....but in shotguns, you get what you pay for ....especially when it comes to the internals and how well they are fitted. To me personally, nothing Stoeger makes - has any interest to me...
Old June 8, 2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Deerhunter

I bought the Browning Maxus. It is a gas system. The thing is light and has no issues with different loads. I have mentioned in other posts that I take it to the skeet field and fire 2 3/4in #8s out of it and then take it to the duck blind and shoot 3in #2s out of it. I have even shot 3 1/2in BBs out of it. I have heard (haven't shot one though) that some of the inertia guns don't like light loads.

The Browning Maxus breaks down and cleans real easy. I don't shoot as much as a lot of people do but in less than a year of owning it I have 600+ rounds through it and haven't had a problem. Again it is easy to clean and as long as you actually clean it there are no issues
Old June 8, 2011, 11:44 AM   #5
jmortimer

Browning Maxus will shoot faster and have less felt recoil if that is an issue. Reliability is not an issue as it is as reliable as it gets.
Old June 8, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Benelli makes a very good Inertia system
Quote:
Benelle is the top of the heap
Benelli owns the Inertia System patent rights, so any shotgun labeled "Inertia System" is a Benelli licensee, probably owned by Benelli (which is owned by Beretta). This includes Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger. Inertia System shotguns are recoil impulse operated, so they do kick a bit more than a comparable gas-operated shotgun.
Quote:
Stoeger is the poor 4th cousin of Benelli - and I would not say their systems are the same as the Benelli system). It looks similar / but I don't think the internal components are the same
They are made in the same factory as Benellis, using mostly the same parts (operating spring systems are different). They are rough, definitely not finished or fitted as well as Benellis, however. So yes, they have "issues".

If I were shopping for a super-reliable shotgun, I would get a Benelli. Cleaner operation typically means fewer issues. But (like any recoil-operated system) they kick a little harder.

Gas-operated guns have lower recoil, so if recoil is an issue, you could opt for a Browning Maxus/Winchester SX3. Nothing wrong with Beretta, just personal preference.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
PJR

I don't think you can say one is "better" across the board. A well-made gas operated gun like the Beretta 391 is better than a Browning Auto 5. A Benelli inertia is better than a gas-operated Remington 11-87.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:39 PM   #8
clemsonbloz

I hate to say it, but nothing beats the simple perfection of the recoil operation of the Browning A-5...

Recoil guns are soft shooting... If you keep them clean and maintained, they are super guns.. I have a Browning Gold 3 inch gun,, with more than 5000 rounds through it,, and it operates without flaw and goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger..

I also own Remington 1100's and a 11-87,, and if you keep them clean,, and DO NOT over-lube,, they perform..

Benelli's big thing is how durable they are.. I do not own one,, but why would I need to paddle my boat with a shotgun?

I am sure they are great guns,, but most all guns will operate under the conditions we encounter if they are taken care of..
Old June 8, 2011, 07:44 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

Beretta/Benelli is the only company I know that does inertia guns. All the rest are gas guns. People say the gas guns kick less, BS they imho make no difference. The SBE2 is the lighest recoiling gun Ive ever shot. Ive shot it against 1100s, 11-87s, CZs, Mossbergs, Berettas etc. They just dont kick for some reason
Old June 9, 2011, 08:44 AM   #10
roadrocket

semiautos

once again no one mentions the breda a brilliant recoil operated gun i have used them trouble free for years.
Old June 10, 2011, 04:15 PM   #11
SKostas

I'm with Clem on the Browning A-5- I like a light twelve- but they don't make 'em anymore. I've got a gold on the way, and hope my fortune fares as well as others on this board. But it's a gas gun- similar to the silver but in a steel receiver, and not as sophisticated (or simple?) as the Maxus, if I'm not mistaken in my recent research before buying.
Old June 11, 2011, 08:25 AM   #12
Rugerismisticness

Breda is off the map for most people, I've only ever seen one of them myself.

Intertia; No gas, less wieght, less bulky forarms, less cleaning, reduced recoil over fixed breach guns, simple, durable, reliable, fast. The stock benellis have a slow cycle speed, add a +25% wolff spring and shoot as faster than 391s. To lower the recoil to 1100 levels, fit the stock to you and add a briley forarm nut wieght.
Old June 11, 2011, 11:29 PM   #13
publius

For years automatics were recoil operated only for me. A-5, 11-48, franchi 48. Beretta changed that for me, they are very reliable and do not kick much. Some still think the recoil operated guns like the benelli to be more reliable. Pick which one feels better in your hands.