The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Qtiphky

Case Trimmer for 204 Ruger?

Does anybody trim their 204 ruger casings? I think this would help with my accuracy and consistency, but I haven't been able to find a 204 trimmer. Any ideas would help. I have a Lee, but they don't make the 204 sizer for their equipment.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You have to trim your resized cases when they get beyond SAAMI maximum, or the case mouths can jam into the end of the chamber neck and cause dangerously high pressures. So it is a safety issue. Otherwise, you have to toss the cases when they get too long. Accuracy depends, in part, on consistent neck tension on the bullets, so having case necks the same length and having the brass all with the same loading and firing history so it has had the same work-hardening, also helps. That said, whether this will have a visible effect on your accuracy or not depends on how accurate your gun is now? If it is already shooting 1/2" groups or smaller, you may see some improvement. If it is shooter more like 1" at 100 yards, though, the difference will likely be lost in the noise of other accuracy limiting factors. Still, it is a safety issue, so you want to do it.

The L.E. Wilson Case trimmer will do it. Call them, 509-782-1328, and ask if you use the standard trimmer for .204 Ruger or if you need the special .17 cal cutter? The trimmer with standard cutter is $34 at Bruno Shooter Supply, plus you need a shell holder. I don't see the .204 holder listed by Bruno, but L.E. Wilson's site lists it. L.E. Wilson is the manufacturer, though, so they charge full list price, which about half again more than Bruno ($8 verses $12). You could also call Bruno (800-455-0350) and ask if they can get that case holder for you special to ship with the trimmer.

This trimmer is half the price of most lathe type trimmers and is, in my opinion, the best. It's mechanism, in principle, does more exact alignment than any of the units costing twice as much, mainly because the coaxial shell holder provides much more rigidity than the case head holding mechanisms the others use. It will repeat +/- 0.001".
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; October 12, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Coltdriver

I chucked up a lee .223 case length trimmer and used some very fine sand paper to bring it down to .20 diameter.

Then I tweaked the tip on a grinder to get the length right.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I thought the reason Lee doesn't make a .204 mandrel is that the teeth of their cutter weren't narrow enough for the caliber? Is that incorrect? I'm pretty sure it's true for the .17 calibers. I've got one in a drawer somewhere, but haven't measured it.
Old October 12, 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Qtiphky

Thanks!

Thanks Uncle Nick. I figured you would know the answer.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

The L.E. Wilson trimmer is fairly inexpensive, and incredibly accurate and consistent. No pilots required, just the case holder. The case holder is taper bored to match the case body taper. You just slip a case in the holder, tap the case head on the bench to wedge it in place, trim it, then tap it back out.

Sinclair sells some really sweet accessories for it that are pretty expensive, but not really necessary.

Andy
Old October 16, 2009, 04:49 AM   #7
sourdough44

I also went Wilson with the 204. Prior to that the Lee hand tools got me by.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:31 AM   #8
cobra81

++1 on the LE Wilson trimmer setup. Try this website for a good price on the trimmer. I got the case holders for all my rifle calibers from them; trimmer is $41, and the case holders are $7 apiece.

http://www.ch4d.com/
(740) 397-7214. Small shop; great customer service.

I, too found no one making a Lee-type case trimmer for .204 Ruger, so I went this route and have found it works great for all my trimming. Wouldn't be without it.
Old October 16, 2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Cobra81,

That's not the Wilson trimmer, which costs less (see my Bruno link in my first post - $34). It's CH4D's trimmer. It works on the same principle, but it looks like it builds in the case holder clamp that Sinclair has to sell separately as part of its base stand. That might be a better deal, getting that clamp built-in, but I haven't tried one myself.
Old October 16, 2009, 02:35 PM   #10
cobra81

UncleNick,

Sorry for the confusion. I have the Wilson trimmer, but posted the link to CH4D for the OP to see a pretty fair clone of it, plus I know they carry the case holder for Ruger .204, since I got mine there. I believe CH4D does include the clamp, which I have on my Wilson, and found to be very handy.
Old October 16, 2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Nomo4me

My RCBS trimmer works with .20.