The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Farmland

Reloaded 45 2.5 version

I'm just having a little fun the 2.5 is for the 2.5 gallon bag and the time it took me to load them. These are once fired cases compliments from the local law department when I qualified with them. So the cases were free toss in some Winchester primers and some WAP and the total cost to reload these were $112.26 or $5.61 per box of 50.

I used WAP at 6.8 grains, 230 LRN, Winchester Large Pistol Primers and once fired TZZ cases. They were loaded on my Dillon 650 at a OAL of 1.260.

Quality Control was done with the powder at every 25 cases and the powder charge held at 6.8 grains. Quality Control was done of the finish product checking every 50 cases for an OAL of 1,260. All cases were checked for primer seating and every one passed inspection.

The total reloading time was 2 1/2 hours give or take a few minutes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45.jpg (88.8 KB, 196 views)
Old October 14, 2009, 05:17 PM   #2
GLShooter

So how many rounds in a 2 1/2 gallon bag? Given a Dillon 650 that could be around 1400 but weighing etc might cut that down to 1000.

Greg
Old October 14, 2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Farmland

The magic number is 1,000. I will tell you you have to lift the bag from the bottom, it must weigh at least 50 pounds.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
GLShooter

My preference for loose packed bulk ammo is the use of GI Ammo cans (7.62) They get pretty heavy but they are manageable. When I load PPC ammo I put them up in 100 round baggies and put those in the ammo can. The 9X21 and 45 just get thrown in loose unless it is task specific like javelina loads in the 9X21 then they are boxed as 50 of those goes a long ways.

Greg
Old October 16, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Farmland

My main problem has always been not enough ammo cans or boxes. If you fill an army ammo can the are very heavy. They are great for storage but not practical for carrying long distance or to the range.

The plastic bags work real well just not the 2.5 gallon ones.

I don't worry about long term storage because they are used in just under a months time. That might be the reason I never went and bough more ammo cans or what ever.
Old October 16, 2009, 03:28 PM   #6
GLShooter

Glad to hear you aren't taking 2 1/2 gallons of 45 ACP to the range in a bag. It would stress that plastic for sure!!

I got all my ammo cans from the gun club when we were getting DCM ammo by the pallet full in the 80's.

I stock pile 9X21 and 45 generally as I don't want to scramble if I suddenly decide I want to go shot a match. My main interest is making sure I have at least 5000 lead bullets on the shelf to load more ammo with for my handguns. I have a buddy that has the Magna equipment and he turns out nice ones for our usage.

Greg
Old October 16, 2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Farmland

I go through a lot of lead too, I don't stock that much for each caliber, mainly because I have been able to buy them local at very good prices. I keep about a thousands lead bullets per caliber, says on the inventory cost. However if my local source has problems getting them then I would probably keep more in the inventory.

I keep about 5,000 loaded rounds for the 45 & 40 at all times, so I really only need to reload 1,000 of each every month. That is around a 4 1/2 hour job.

It always amazes me how much 1,000 45 loaded rounds weigh.

The only thing I have started to stock pile are 223's. I don't shoot as much but with the price climbing I started towards building an inventory of 5,000 loaded rounds. I keep them in strippers stored in those steel ammo cans for 840 Cartridges Ball M193. I can fit right around 1,00o stored this way per box.

I was thinking I would start back into the rifle part next year since I have been out of shooting the rifle matches for awhile.

Have fun and keep shooting Greg.