The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2009, 01:08 PM   #1
dewcrew8

cci small rifle?? 30 carbine

came across some today and didnt know which ones to get, both boxs say small rifle but the only thing not the same was cci400 and cci450 . I'll reload for 30 carbine rifle, but may use some in the pistol.
Old October 17, 2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Scorch

CCI400 are standard small rifle primers, CCI450 are magnum small rifle primers. Use the CCI400 for 30 Carbine.
Old October 17, 2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Sevens

If you are loading .30 Carbine ammo, use small rifle primers no matter what kind of firearm you intend to shoot the ammo in. You may also use small rifle magnum, but make sure to WORK LOADS UP SAFELY and don't simply substitute a magnum primer in place of a regular small rifle primer.

Don't ever use small pistol primers of any sort to load .30 Carbine ammo, regardless of what kind of firearm to intend to shoot your reloads in.
Old October 17, 2009, 01:32 PM   #4
dewcrew8

thanks guys!!!
Old October 17, 2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Longdayjake

There are some .30 carbine loads that call for magnum primers. As far as I know the only difference between a small rifle magnum and just a small rifle is the cup hardness. Magnum pressures require a stronger primer cup to keep from rupturing. I could be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Sevens

As far as I've always known, small rifle primers have the same cup thickness regardless of whether they are mag or non-mag, but a thicker cup than pistol primers.

.30 Carbine calls for small rifle primers and runs 40,000 psi.

Confusion comes in because the physical outside dimensions of small pistol and small rifle primers are the same. (large pistol and large rifle primers do NOT have the same dimensions)

There are some people who have success using small rifle primers in handgun calibers, and as long as you've done your homework with load development, you only need to make sure that your handgun has enough main spring to reliably discharge the harder cup small rifle primer.

These are my opinions and not to be taken as gospel.