The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 7, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Aqeous

Questions About A Suppressed .45 ACP

So: do to the diameter of the .45 ACP bullet itself, I hear that the decibel suppression of a .45 ACP isn't that great. My question is to whether or not the recoil jump of the handgun would be noticeably reduced? Can anyone help me out?
Old February 7, 2008, 03:04 PM   #2
chris in va

Might want to try this question in the NFA section.

I've only shot one supressed 45, out of a HK MP5 looking weapon a guy had at the range. All you could hear was the clacking of the bolt mechanism, no report that I could tell.
Old February 7, 2008, 03:18 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That good a suppressor would be fairly large, probably too large for a pistol. A suppressor on a moving barrel pistol can't be so big or heavy that it will keep the gun from functioning. The pistol suppressors I have seen in .45 only reduced the sound, to about the level of a .22 short.

The bullet diameter itself is not that important an issue. The amount of gas generated is, as is the bullet velocity (sub-sonic).

(The suppressors used in the movies that look like a piece of hose, often are a piece of hose. The "phit" sound is dubbed in or a primer is fired.)

Jim
Old February 26, 2008, 06:57 AM   #4
evan1293

My .45 can is very quiet shot wet. Dry, its maybe a little quieter than a .22 but it still sounds like a gun shot. When it wet, though..boooyyyy....its pretty sweet. It sounds more like an airnailer or paintball gun rather than a firearm. I like the .45 can because standard 230gr ball ammo is subsonic, which is much better for suppression. My 9mm can I have to reload for (using 147gr bullets typically), to keep the velocities below the supersonic level.
Old February 26, 2008, 08:38 PM   #5
VUPDblue

Quote:
My 9mm can I have to reload for (using 147gr bullets typically), to keep the velocities below the supersonic level.
IME, virtually all factory 147gr and heavier loads are subsonic. The only consistant exception to this guideline I have found is Fiocchi and CCI aluminum cased ammo. I have been known to load some 124's to subsonic velocities, and those are about the quietest I can come up with.
Old February 26, 2008, 11:57 PM   #6
evan1293

Quote:
IME, virtually all factory 147gr and heavier loads are subsonic
Thats true, most 147gr rounds from the factory are subsonic. I have to reload them because with the amount that I shoot, the only factory rounds I can afford to keep buying are the cheap 115gr WWB rounds from walmart.

I can load 147gr subsonics for a little less than these.
Old February 27, 2008, 09:13 AM   #7
VUPDblue

I've been pretty lucky here lately. I picked up 3 cases of Fiocchi 147's at the last funshow for $199 each OTD. I also picked up a case of factory reloads from Outdoor Marksman for a little less than that. I've only fired about 2 mags worth of those, but they seem to be very consistent and shoot clean.
Old February 27, 2008, 04:04 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I noticed that no one ever responded to the question about recoil.

Sound has nothing to do with recoil and gas escape ahead of or behind the bullet contributes only about 10% to recoil, so a can or a muzzle brake has a limited effect. Recoil is the result of bullet motion, so most of it occurs while the bullet is in the barrel, before it even reaches the can or the brake. A brake diverts some of the gas upward or backward to counter the recoil, and a can slows and reduces the amount of gas coming out of the muzzle. Both have an effect on recoil, but not a lot. If the goal is recoil reduction, that can be achieved at a lot less cost and trouble than the hassle of buying a suppressor.

Jim
Old February 27, 2008, 04:49 PM   #9
VUPDblue

Yes, Jim is right. Sorry I didn't try and answer your original question, I thought I answered it recently. Must have been another thread. Anyway, yes, your recoil will be diminished, but just barely. Maybe even not noticeable. The only thing that will factor-in to that is that the suppressor will add length and weight to the front of the firearm.
Old February 27, 2008, 09:24 PM   #10
Ledbetter

Note that you either have to pin the slide from recoiling or suffer the noise from the breach, which is pretty significant.

Pinning the slide actually increases felt recoil.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old March 3, 2008, 01:11 AM   #11
WoofersInc

I have the HK Tactical with a CCF-Swiss Impuls II. I can notice a reduction in recoil but I have attributted that to the extra weight hanging off the front of the gun. As for the sound I have been impressed with it shot wet. You will not need hearing protection if you are outdoors.
Old March 3, 2008, 11:51 AM   #12
waterhouse

My experience mirrors WoofersInc. I've got an SWR H.E.M.S. on my Tac, I've attributed any recoil reduction to the weight on the end of the gun. It is pretty quiet when wet, not nearly as quiet dry.