The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 29, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
J270

Long gun registration

When you purchase a long gun in CA. It is now registered. I wondering if this is only in CA or is this a federal thing.
Old April 29, 2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

It's CA and a few other states. It's not federal.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:58 PM   #3
JimDandy

California, maybe New York, MA, or other New England states. And Hollywood. Most of the US doesn't register firearms.
Old April 30, 2014, 12:23 AM   #4
Jim243

Not a federal thing, but the City of Chicago also requires them to be registered as well. Their reaction to losing the Supreme Court case. It is a really old law, back in the late 1960's when I lived in Chicago, you had to have each firearm registered with the city for $5.00 each (LOL) The current city sticker is $130.00 per car per year now. (not that the State of Illinois is much better $107.00 per year.) Parking meters are $1.00 per half hour, parking garage $30.00 for 8 hours and of course there is no parking on the street without purchasing an area sticker for your block.

(LOL) Add the price of gas in the city and it is cheaper to own a gun there than a car. (LOL)

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; April 30, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old April 30, 2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
Not a federal thing, but the City of Chicago also requires them to be registered as well.
That was a very short-lived registration. The registration law is no longer on the books and there is no Chicago registry of guns of any sort.

The Illinois concealed carry law passed last year preempted local laws and gave the state of Illinois the sole right to register guns. And there is no registration at the state level.
Old April 30, 2014, 12:56 PM   #6
wogpotter

MD requires registration of some long guns. It depends if the long gun in question is on a list or not. For example an AR-15 is registrable, but an H-bar AR 15 sporter is not.

I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm not on the board who makes these rules so I have no idea what criterion they actually use.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 30, 2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
maybe New York
NY has registration of long guns that look scary, non-scary ones aren't registered.
Old May 2, 2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Blindstitch

There are no scary long guns. Only scary people trying to outlaw them.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Dan F

Just to give yet another example of how little sense is behind any of these statutes (and how little the people behind them know about what they are doing), during the "Panic of '13"TM, when MD was preparing to ban "those terrible scary guns", etc., I thought I should buy an example of, um, let me say, "Eugene's original design"*, as I thought they'd be included. My jaw dropped open when I got said lower and they told me I could take it home without the week-long delay one on the current restricted list required. My new lower was not even among the currently regulated class of rifles, much less on the list for being banned.

I still have difficulty believing it.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

* I'm being deliberately obscure to limit the small possibility of pinging the radar in Annapolis. I figured everyone here can probably figure the allusion out.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:35 AM   #10
North East Redneck

Every gun purchased in MA is registered when purchased through an FFL.