The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
JKilbreth

Any market for Non-Brass Casings?

I was going to post in the Gun Show forum, but wanted to put my feelers out here first to see if there really was any market for it...

I have tons of steel, nickel, and aluminum casings I've collected from an indoor range. All kinds of calibers, headstamps, and materials. I wanted to sell them if anyone wants them, but I haven't even sorted them because the thought never occurred to me that anyone could or would want to reload them.

So, does anyone reload cases of these materials, and if so, what would be a good price for me to post them for? I was thinking 5+/$.01 for the aluminums, and maybe $.01 apiece for the steel and nickel...?
Old November 23, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
oldpapps

"steel, nickel, and aluminum casings"

Nickel cases are just plated brass and should have the same value as non plated or close to it.

Steel cases can be loaded. It is hard on dies and I don't recommend doing it. This is assuming that the cases are boxer primed.

Most if not all aluminum cases are not loadable (by me) as they are berdan primed. Look way down deep inside. Is there one or two primer flash holes? If two, it's derdan and scrap.

Just my views, other do reload berdan primed brass and steel cases.

Be safe,

OSOK
Old November 23, 2013, 05:51 PM   #3
reynolds357

Nickel plate has slightly higher value than un plated brass cases.
Aluminum and Steel? Whatever the going scrap metal rate is for each.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:38 PM   #4
GJSchulze

Aluminum can be reloaded and seems to work fine. I'm currently experimenting with a few to see how long they will last. Brass 9mm cases can last 30 or more reloads. I don't expect aluminum to last anywhere near that. I also don't think anyone will pay for them.
Old November 23, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
reynolds357

GJ, I think what you will find with Al is catastrophic failure with no warning. The only people I know who have dabbled with reloading them encountered that problem.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:00 AM   #6
marine6680

Never really considered aluminum for reload... but if it can be done, it seems like a one reload and toss kind of thing.

Steel would be similar, two or three reloads and toss. I have thought about doing this for times when I am going somewhere I am likely to loss a lot of cases.

You couldn't get much if anything for aluminum, you might be able to get a little for steel cases... At least the poly coated ones. Lubed well, the steel is very mild and soft, so it shouldn't hurt the dies. The lacquer and zinc coated are not really reloadable, most are berdan primed anyway. Some Wolf polyformance is the only ones I know that are boxer primed.

Nickel plated can go for a premium.
Old November 24, 2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Valornor

Collect the aluminium case and take them to the scrap yard. Steel really isn't worth the time to pick them up. However still pick them up, because often our own worse enemy when it come to shooting locations is us.

Some environmental junk sees all the shot gun shells, shell casings and crap we shoot up and leave laying around and they get their panties all up in a bunch. Then they bring their friends and they get all excited, and before you know it we can't shoot their anymore.

To me that's the true worth of picking up casings and trash.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/