The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1
proximus

Steyr Scout 7mm-08 loads help

Members,

I am new 7mm-08 Steyr Scout owner.
I want to handload ammo for it.
Here we have H4895, W760 and IMR4064 powders, also Swift Scirroco2 150 gr.,Partition 140 gr., TTSX 140 gr. bullets.
Any experience and tested loads with such combination for this rifle?
Advises on the COAL.?
Also - what is in fact the twist rate of my Scout (manufactured this year)? I can see info 1:8,85 and 1:10 in the net.
Thanks in advance, and best regards from Europe!
Old November 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
TATER

I have chosen to stay with 120 and 140 grain because of barrel length.
I do not have the Scout, Mine is the SM_12 Classic with 20 inch 1: 8.6 twist.
The powders I have played with are not on your list but,
This may help get you started. HTH
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old November 19, 2013, 05:24 PM   #3
proximus

Thanks,

As I was informed by Steyr the chamber/barrel specifications of all 7mm-08 models (except Elite08) in their range is the same.
Today I receive also 120 gr. Ballistic type, 130 and 140 gr. Game kings and 139 Hornady SST, also I can buy Benchmark and Vihta 140 and 165 powders.
I try to load different recipes from the Hodgdon and other load datas but nothing works under 2 inches on 100 yards, and usually I am getting less than one with my .223 Howa.
May be the reason is in the bullet seating, i did not get luck with that?
Can you, please advise what is your freebore measure (the scout is the same)?
I am trying to measure it with the dummy's but I am not sure.
If you can advise me about some good bullets/COAL/powder loads I can try find the components.
The point is that reloading is legal here since just one year, we have no experience, and on top of this I am the first, and probably the only owner of 7mm-08 rifle in my country...
In the last 2 months I am spending each Saturday reloading and each Sunday on the shooting range, but: unfortunately - without good results for the moment.

My wife start asking me if there are some nice ladies there...!
And it is time for me to go hunting.

Your advices will be highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Last edited by proximus; November 19, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old November 19, 2013, 06:00 PM   #4
tobnpr

Don't know what your availability of product is, but here many of us that reload use an overall length gauge with a modified case, and a bullet comparator to seat bullets precisely to the ogive. Each bullet type is measured to your rifle's leade, and you can experiment with seating depth/jump to your heart's content.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...traight-1Each/

http://www.hornady.com/store/Bullet-Comparator-Kits/

I shoot my 7-08 long range with heavier bullets, and use much slower burning powder like H4350/IMR 4350.

I'd still try a slower burning powder... faster burning than Varget, 4895 seems a bit fast?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 19, 2013, 06:05 PM   #5

proximus, NOSLER now gives data free online here:http://www.nosler.com/7mm-08-remington

For your 120 gr. Ballistic Tips, looks like IMR 4064 would be a great choice. For bullets in the 140 gr. class W760 will do well. NOSLER only lists H414, but it's the same powder as W760.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
proximus

Thanks, boys, for your quick positive reactions, this forum is great!

For us is a bit difficult to get some reloading stuff from the US.
I get Hornady Overall Length Gage from Cabelas, but only .223 Modified case, the 7-08 and others are still on backorder there, and I already have Sinclair bullet comparator.
More and more products are restricted or under permissions to be sold outside USA.
Here we have only some Hodgdons, IMR, (we have no Varget, 4850, 380...), Winchester and Vihta powders - no Reloader, Ramshot and others.

It seems we have to learn a lot from you, american guys, in shooting and reloading, as it is in many other fields.
I know that often you get and practice shooting and reloading experience in the family and one load was developed by the grandfather, than the father and the son...
We have no modern traditions in this, But, sorry for off-topic, back to the issue:
- I still can not get logic, knowledge and methodology haw to select powder for different bullets/calibers according to the burn rate, and for sure this is one of our main weak points. Can you, guys, supply me some link or thread here were the powder selecting issue can be understand from the beginners?
- you already advise me about the 120 NBT, I like To develop hunting loads also with 140 TTSX (I will try with W760), but also: Scirocco II 150 grains - what powder between H4895. IMR 4060 and W760 you will suggest?

Our main hunting is european wild boar - we get some males more than 500 pounds, so I consider >150 grains and SD > 250 as minimum reasonable, and thermo stabile powders are better choice because of the some very low winter temperatures in the mountains (this is the reason I am trying to use H4895).

SWIFT Bullets is something I like very much - even I am preparing to import them here, just arranging the permission.

These days i will prepare my range reports, and:

Thanks for your help!
Old November 19, 2013, 08:05 PM   #7
TATER

I do not have any W-760 I think its a great choice..al so IMR4064..

I am loading to magazine length, 2.885 with the 140 grain Nosler AccuBond. I use dummys as well, and a was touching at 2.9015 so I backed off
Enough to fit the mag and run smooth. I have chosen W-748 and am seeing 2815-2835 fps. and no signs of pressure.
I am in the .5 group size. (Done deal for deer)
Hope this helps

•The GameKings are120 and 140 grain at 2.750 COL.
Old November 19, 2013, 08:30 PM   #8
proximus

Thanks a lot, Tater,

I appreciate very much your help!
I will continue my reloading efforts based on your information and will come back soon.

Best regards,
Old November 19, 2013, 08:59 PM   #9
TATER

Please pay attention, You can touch and still fit it in the magazine. I really did not see much improvement from 2.875 threw 2.885 on the AccuBonds.
Make sure!
Old November 19, 2013, 09:29 PM   #10
tobnpr

Quote:
Can you, guys, supply me some link or thread here were the powder selecting issue can be understand from the beginners?
While there are other considerations, this chart gives you burn rates, for comparative purposes between powders, in case you missed it on Hodgdon's site:

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 20, 2013, 01:46 AM   #11
proximus

We know the burn rate charts.

We miss the knowledge haw to use this information - the way to choose different burning rate powders in different caliber/bullet combinations.
Can you, please advise - where we can learn that?

Thanks and regards,
Old November 20, 2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Saltydog235

I shoot 150's out of a 20" barrel and have excellent results. I load 150grn Nosler BT's over 45.5grn of H4350 and a Win LR primer to just off the lands.