The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1
partssman

Uberti Cattleman copy of SAA in cap/ball

Hi Guys,
I have a NIB unfired Uberti Cattleman in 44 and it's blued with case hardened frame......a real good lookin' gun. Comes in box with the cylinder loading tool, a few primers, wads and a box of conical lead. It is UNFIRED and would be a nice addition to anybodys collection. Haven't gotten into BP yet and the pistol isn't doing me any good. Guy from Gunbroker who sells alot of Uberti guns said mine goes from $350 to $375. I have no idea. Will hear all offers incuding trades. If you have a Garand I can add a stainless Ruger Redhawk with box, papers and 3 sets of grips to start things off. Thanks for your time.................Mike...................

[email protected]
Old March 7, 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

I've got one, interesting revolvers. I once tried to convert it to centerfire by swapping out the cylinder with another Uberti .45 in my collection, replacing the firing pin, and fudging the hole in the recoil shield to the side a tad to accomodate the centerfire firing pin. I loaded up 3 light .45 Colt loads, thumbed the hammer back, and squeezed the trigger. It kicked worse than I thought it would, and sounded kind of... odd. I opened the loading gate and removed... three empties...? With no primers...? What happened was there was sufficient room in the slightly enlarged recoil shield hole for the primers to blow out, recock the hammer, turn the cylinder, and let it fall again for as long as the trigger was held back or the cylinder was empty. Good thing the hammer deflected the primers or I might have had them embedded in my forehead or through my safety glasses and into an eye. After experiencing a full-auto revolver, I decided to put the muzzle loading cylinder & firing pin back in. If a person welded up the recoil shield and bored a new hole for the firing pin, it would work, but I'm concerned about the effect of the heat on the frame.

SASS 47015
Old March 16, 2005, 01:10 PM   #3
20cows

Thanks

I had wondered about the possibility of that conversion. Way more interesting than I would have suspected. I'm glad YOU had the experience, satisfied my curiosity, and (thankfully) didn't get hurt. Wow!

(I might not have been so fortunate).
Old March 16, 2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

I'm glad I didn't put all 6 in.

SASS 47015