The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

New (to me) Ruger

Just picked up a Ruger new model Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag for deer hunting season. I don't care for the original grip because I think it's somewhat poor fitting and slippery. A Hogue finger grip or maybe a more attractive wood finger grip is what I desire. For those that have already upgraded and replaced the grip on a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag, please advise on your experience.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2
mmb713

I put Hogue rubber grips on my Blackhawks, 357 and 45 Colt. I know it's sacriledge to a lot of people but, hey, their my guns. I think they would look terrible on a stainless gun but mine are blued and they don't look bad and they do improve the shootability. Dramatically. I never could get a good repeatable grip and the recoil, especially with my hot 45 Colts, was punishing. The Hogues changed all that and with a good repeatable grip I am far more accurate with them and the middle finger of my shooting hand is no longer battered. I would recommend them.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:14 PM   #3
shortwave

I've got Hogue's on four Blackhawks. All are used for hunting and I find in damp weather or wearing gloves I can get a better grip with the rubber.

Quote:
I put Hogue rubber grips on my Blackhawks, 357 and 45 Colt. I know it's sacriledge to a lot of people but, hey, their my guns. I think they would look terrible on a stainless gun ...
Mine are all stainless and the deer have never complained.
Also, I've never seen a set of Hogue's improve the looks of any revolver.

Last edited by shortwave; November 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Bob Wright

I prefer walnut with a Tru-Oil finish, here's two of my Three Screw Super Blackhawks:

Suit me just fine!

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; November 5, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Elmer

Quote:
I've got Hogue's on four Blackhawks. All are used for hunting and I find in damp weather or wearing gloves I can get a better grip with the rubber.
I've got Hogue's or Pachmayr's on most of my revolvers that I actually shoot. I'm not sure when that became something to defend.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
dahermit

Rubber grips will make shooting the .44 Mag. more pleasant. However, if you are the type who must sit and admire your gun grips while waiting for a deer, fancy wood is better.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Bob Wright

I found rubber grips abraded my hand unmercifully, to the point the web of my had was raw and blistered. Sure left a bad taste in my mouth!

Bob Wright
Old November 8, 2012, 09:32 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
I found rubber grips abraded my hand unmercifully, to the point the web of my had was raw and blistered. Sure left a bad taste in my mouth!
For extended shooting(100 rounds) of heavy recoiling loads, mine also. However, for a few shots, in as for deer hunting, he is not likely to shoot it that much:

Quote:
Just picked up a Ruger new model Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag for deer hunting season
With my .45 Colt Blackhawk and .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk, they were painful to shot just a few rounds with the factory wood grips.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Bob Wright

I will add this: If you switch back and forth between rubber and wood grips, be sure to re-sight you revolver, as the grips can affect your point of impact.

Same as when using gloves with wood grips. I found that I needed to re-sight my Super Blackhawk when wearing buckskin gloves.

When I was wearing buckskin gloves, that is.

Bob Wright
Old November 8, 2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Edward429451

+1 to the Hogues. They'll stop your middle finger from being battered. WHo cares what they look like? Sure they look terrible, but not as bad as my middle finger felt after trying to be a man about it. LOL.

Quote:
Sure left a bad taste in my mouth!
It did me too at first but then I stopped licking the grips and the problem went away.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #11
GeauxTide

BearPaw Grips

JB Wilson makes the finest, IMO, Ruger grips on the planet. They are on my six Rugers. They are beautiful and functional.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Grip-Store
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01572.JPG (171.5 KB, 19 views)
Old November 8, 2012, 10:47 PM   #12
rep1954

The only time I have ever found rubber grips to be comfortable and useful has been on double action revolvers whose designs seem friendly to them. Single action grip frames are meant to roll under recoil and trying to fight that only makes things uncomfortable for the shooter. The only SBH I ever had trouble with smashing a finger on the trigger guard was a 4 5/8" barreled gun. That is when I was introduced to the pinky under grip hold and it instantly went away. Now I shoot all my plow handle guns with the pinky under hold. Almost all my guns have smooth wood, ivory, or plastic grips, a few midsize Rugers have plastic checkered grips that are OEM but their cartridges allow for that, under heavy recoil checkered grips can become very uncomfortable. A pair of light shooting glovess can make a big difference for many people.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:37 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

The reason single action grip frames are made to roll in the hand is to make it easier to recock the gun with just the hand holding it. Your other hand was assumed to be busy with something else, like the reins, or a saber....

Today, that is rarely the case. When you get to shooting 200gr+ bullets at 1200fps or more, the regular wood grips can be painful. Grips that fill in behind the triggerguard help A LOT, and I find the rubber Pachmyrs to be much more comfortable for heavier loads, and not any hinderance with lighter ones.

The look upsets the purists/snobs, but its not their gun, its MINE. And the oversize rubber makes it better and easier for me to shoot. The guns still roll in your hand, just not as much. I'm much happier when the muzzle only rises to about 70 degrees than 110 degrees, and not having the triggerguard rap my middle finger.

Everybody's different about what they like and what they feel, so do what works for you, and I'll do the same for me.

Plus, I don't need to wear gloves....
Old November 9, 2012, 11:28 PM   #14
shortwave

Quote:
The look upsets the purists/snobs, but its not their gun, its MINE
My sentiments exactly. The pistols I have with ugly rubber grips on them are not safe queens but rather guns that serve purpose's. Tools if you will and are set up the best way I see fit to serve their particular purpose.

Last edited by shortwave; November 10, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:14 AM   #15
SteelChickenShooter

Thanks for the replies. I did some homework and found grips to avoid and what to buy. One rubber grip has a raised rib that can irritate the web of the hand. I too am not one much for asthetics or looks when it comes to a hunting gun. A purist I am not. I want a good solid grip feel and think one of the Hogues will be right for me. Comfort / utility / practicality has meaning to me so I am not opposed to altering handgun grips even if it does upset the looks. If it comes to selling this Ruger down the road, I can always install the original grips + offer the new buyer what I considered to be a better grip for hunting in my area.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:05 AM   #16
WyoShooter

For myself rubber Hogue grips worked the best in hunting situations. I like a nice set of custom wood grips but if your hands are wet, they grip nicely and for beating around in the hills they are perfect, especially if you accidentally drop your gun or if it's carried in a hip holster and you happen to lean the wrong way against a rock, there goes the finish on those nice grips. I had three different sets of wood grips for my last Super Blackhawk for display and range use but I always had the Hogue's on when I hit the hills hunting.