The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
ragwd

concentricity-gauge

I have been loading pistol rounds for about a year, and just getting into reloading for my rifle. In reading and looking at products, my next purchase may be http://www.savoyshooters.com/hornady...ity-gauge.html It checks for run out and has a way to correct it. Like I said I am new to reloading rifle so it would be great to hear from someone has one of these.
Old April 27, 2010, 01:22 PM   #2
L Puckett

Ragwd,

The majority of precision shooters prefer a V-Block type concentricity measuring tool. One of the more prefered is the Sinclair tool.

As for "straightening" a round that is beyond limits, you will find again, the majority of precision shooters DO NOT as it plays havoc with neck tension. Instead, back track and find the reason for the lack of concentricity, be it brass thickness problems, press problems, die problems, etc. (an interesting study itself).

LP
Old April 27, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Jobfix

Vast Improvement...

This tool came along not too soon. I very often shoot 300~500+yds. at Prairie Dogs & Coyotes .

IMHO allot of factors come into play for consistency at long distance. I bought the Hornady L-N-L Cocentricity Tool & eliminated one more: Bullet Run-out.

"In the old days" I used 2x4 w/hole drilled in it to tweak the loaded round and get a concentric result. This confession may cause some "Bench Rest Shooters" to become "Noxious" my apologies. But it seemed to work.
Old April 27, 2010, 07:14 PM   #4
mrawesome22

I too have been eye balling this tool.

My wife is gonna kill me LOL.
Old April 27, 2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Shoney

One of the first commercial comcentricity devices, which is still readily available and quite popular, was the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax Indicator. Recent entries in the concentricity gauge market include models by Sinclair International, NECO, and RCBS. Some models, such as the NECO Gauge and RCBS Case Master, are capable of not only measuring bullet run-out, but case neck variation, wall thickness and concentricity as well.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 28, 2010, 12:16 AM   #6
ragwd

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them.