The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2001, 09:02 PM   #1
kjm

Since I was going to get a couple of kegs of 4895, and hi-techammo.com was selling some HPC-1 (for .45 I presume), I went ahead and ordered a keg of that too. My question is what load data would I use with this round for .40 caliber pistol loads? The guy told me that I could use Bullseye data but that HPC-1 is a tad bit slower. I suppose that means that I should ease up on the charge, but if anyone out there can give me advice I'd appreciate it. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out the .45 loads from the TM, but I'm at a loss when it comes to converting to .40-.

Thank's in advance!
Old March 28, 2001, 11:02 AM   #2
Cheapo

I'd suggest loading 10 to 30 rounds using a PUBLISHED load for Bullseye, chronographing it out of YOUR firearm, and then loading the HPC-1 to the same velocity.

Use this suggestion at your own risk. Follow all precautions in the published reloading guides. Abandon all hope at the first hints of high pressure. Compare so-called "pressure signs" to factory-new ammo using the same primer. Forget the load-to-velocity suggestion if the published reloading data for your bullet shows Bullseye with the highest reported velocity.
Old March 28, 2001, 01:26 PM   #3
kjm

Great suggestions. I'll have to borrow my friends chrono, and load a few bullseye rounds. At forty dollars per 5lb keg, I could hardly pass that up. Since haz-mat has increased, I find it more economical to purchase powder in larger lots (up to four 8lb kegs) and only pay one hazmat fee. I don't do much with my pistol besides popping off balloons and the occasional rotten grapefruit or watermelon. I don't suppose accuracy is what is important in loading handgun rounds. I just wanted to find a cheap propellant that would enable me to shoot more often for much cheaper. The two handgun calibers I load are fairly common, so I might be able to figure this out. It would be a huge boon to my pocketbook if I can make it work.

As soon as I find out, I'll post back here with my results. Maybe some of y'all are into this for cheap thrills too!
Old March 30, 2001, 02:46 PM   #4
PDshooter

Bought some Mil,surplus from High-tech.(4895) They through in a load date sheet.
Old March 30, 2001, 03:39 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I agree with PDshooter. I bought some of the IMR4895 surplus from HiTech and they had a data sheet for all of their powders in the box.