The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Sharpsdressed Man

My one "more expensive than five or six" came on my 60th birthday as a present to myself. Knowing my wife, I was more likely to get new socks than a new gun, so I had to jump on a SIG P210, like new, made the same year I was born. It showed up on gunbroker and called out to me. I don't regret it. My guns acquired before that one are all fine guns, and I enjoy everyone of them like children; I love them all. But the SIG is the icing on the cake. It has a special place as "the birthday gun", and probably WILL outshoot most, if not all the rest. ............................................................ [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sharpsdressed Man; May 31, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 31, 2013, 02:01 AM   #27
mrt949

I have owned my share of lower quality guns . Sold or traded for better quality .Now at my time in life a few great guns beat a safe full of junk.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:41 AM   #28
pete2

I once sold 3 or 4 to finance a target pistol. It still looks like a parkerized 1911. Being pretty was not a consideration. Cost me approx. 2 Pythons at the time. Yeah it's worth it.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Ben Dover

Quote:
I have owned my share of lower quality guns . Sold or traded for better quality .Now at my time in life a few great guns beat a safe full of junk.
A profound statement indeed, sir!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old May 31, 2013, 03:25 PM   #30
newfrontier45

Quote:
I got mine after prostrating myself before my wife and promising her I'd never buy another gun if I could just buy one last one-the Merkel.
Awesome! Mine came after worrying for six weeks that I had cancer, facing reconstructive surgery to my face either way. Turned out to be a benign cyst and I found a good surgeon who could do the job without reconstructing half my jaw. I counted myself lucky but realized life was short and can get a lot shorter in an instant. I decided to treat myself. A truly "fine" double was something I always wanted and the Merkel 280 was what I chose. It took me some time to pay it off but I've never regretted it and thoroughly enjoy hunting with it. It's no safe queen!
Old June 1, 2013, 08:02 AM   #31
CDW4ME

Is one gun worth 4-5 others?
Yes.
Kel-Tec P3AT x5 < Ed Brown Special Forces.
($300 x 5 = $1,500)

Nothing against the Kel-Tec P3AT, I have one and like it.
Old June 1, 2013, 01:10 PM   #32
bluetopper

Yes, pride of ownership means a lot to me and I can just shoot one at a time anyway.

I started out with Hi Points and Taurus's, now all I have any interest in is high end 1911's, S&W revolvers, and Freedom Arms revolvers.
Old June 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #33
22-rimfire

I have no problem trading as many guns as necessary for one you really want. I have more than I can/want to shoot anyway, so it is a matter of value and priority. But honestly, I don't own five guns that I would trade for a single gun unless the value of the new acquisition is substantially more valuable than all five put together. In my accumulation and my wants, I have a hard time seeing that. All the "junk" has long ago been sold or traded.

How about a Colt Diamondback trade for a lightly used Freedom Arms 475?
Old June 2, 2013, 05:43 AM   #34
OkieCruffler

I came to the realization that I have the first 22rifle I ever had and the stevens 311 that my grandfather gave me. Those will never leave me. Everything else is up for grabs on a whim if I get a wild hair. 1 for 1, 3 for 1 or 17 for 1.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:26 AM   #35
Ozzieman

Good question. But it gets both a yes and no. There are some that I would trade several for a good N frame Smith or a large frame Ruger but there are a couple of N frame Smiths that I wouldn’t give up for anything.
I think is depends on what’s out there.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:44 AM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

lots of good reply's...

myself... yep... I used to have some junkers, that "back then" I would have traded 5-6 for a great gun, but where I'm at in life, ( I still have some "cheaper" guns ) but everything I have, is either a good shooter, or holds a hard to fill space in a collection, or holds sentimental attachment... so I like shooting everything I currently have, enough, that I'd have a hard time even trading 2 for 1 ...
Old June 3, 2013, 08:40 AM   #37
highpower3006

Winchester73 is right on the money as far as I am concerned.

Over the years I have had a great many ordinary guns and most of them are now gone. Either traded away for something else, or sold to buy a better gun. I don't know how many of my current stash of guns I would be willing to sell to finance a Registered Magnum, but I would certainly entertain the thought if one becomes available.

I had a 870 Remington combat shotgun. When I acquired a Winchester Model 97 trench gun I sold the 870. While I could have bought three Remingtons for what I paid for the 97, I would rather have one old warhorse like the Winchester than any number of newer models. I feel I only need one home defense shotgun and the 97 fills that need perfectly.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:44 AM   #38
natman

I can think of lots of 5 for 1 trades I'd gladly make. I'd have no problem coming up with 5 assorted 22s, sporterized Krags, or pump shotguns I'd happily trade for a Perazzi, a Dakota 10 or a nice 28 SxS Merkel.
Old June 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #39
PzGren

I have bought and sold hundreds of guns over the years of my life. It was always good to have first hand experience as a basis for an opinion.

There are some guns that are just a whole lot better than others - and they often do cost more. I am not a collector, I am the dude that shoots a Korth every week and eventually I will have spent more on the ammo than on that rimfire Korth but enjoy it more than my BMW.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:43 PM   #40
stephen426

I have only gotten rid of a few guns since I started shooting including a H&K USP in .40 that I gave to my cousin as a wedding present. I also traded a Sig P245 (plus cash) for a pre-owned Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. the Les Baer is definitely worth double what the Sip P245 was. For some strange reason or other, I could not shoot that gun worth a darn. I was very accurate with my P228 and P229 though. I also left a Glock 26 at my buddies in another state. Virginia honors Florida's carry permit so I just leave it up there.

I want to get rid of my Kahr MK9 since it is too heavy to carry and I have no use for it.

Overalls, there are only a few guns that one needs for concealed carry. For me, all of my other guns are because I enjoy them. I would not carry any of my range toys including my Sig P210, my Les Baer Monoloth, or my H&K P7M8. I have a pair of Sig P229 that serves as a home defense gun along with my Remington 870.

As someone already stated, quality over quantity. I also believe it is far better to have some great shooting guns than a safe full of common guns. The same analogy could be applied to cars. Would you rather have 5 Honda Accords or 1 Aston Martin? Heck, I'd give up 5 BMWs for a Ferrari 458!
Old June 5, 2013, 06:00 PM   #41
dgludwig

Quote:
I also left a Glock 26 at my buddies in another state. Virginia honors Florida's carry permit so I just leave it up there.

You can visit me anytime.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:42 AM   #42
EveryCaliber

One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is sentimental attachment. For example, I have an old H&R 20 ga Model 148 single shot shotgun that isn't worth much on the market. But it's very special to me because my grandfather gave it to my dad for his 10th birthday, then my dad gave it to me on my 10th birthday. When I have a child, I plan on passing it down. So not only was it my first gun, it's just a part of the family. I know I couldn't sell it for much $$$ at all, but it means more than that to me. I actually have a couple of pieces I feel that way about, but I won't bore you all with my personal stories. Maybe it's just me, but I love all my guns regardless of what they're monetary value is. Sometimes, even some cheap ones are cool, fun, or interesting. The only gun in my collection I've ever sold was an AR-15, but that's only because I felt like it was easily replaceable.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #43
Winchester_73

Quote:
One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is sentimental attachment.
Actually I did, post #24. Hopefully you didn't just skip it because it was too long for you
Old June 6, 2013, 12:47 PM   #44
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is sentimental attachment.

Actually I did, post #24. Hopefully you didn't just skip it because it was too long for you
As did I in post #9. But you're right, Every Caliber, it hasn't been mentioned much. Attachment for sentimental reasons is probably the best reason to hang on to certain firearms.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:03 PM   #45
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
You can visit me anytime.
Sorry bud... I left the gun with one of my best friends so I don't need to go through the hassle of shipping my gun each time I fly. I stopped carrying my Glock 26 after I got my Kahr PM9 so it is no big deal. He has 2 kids, but he also has a safe where the gun is stored.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:25 PM   #46
KyJim

Like others have said, I don't trade guns I like. I have trade a handful that I didn't like. I have a few that I'm indifferent about. I would probably trade those and wouldn't mind trading multiple guns for one gun as long as I was getting reasonable value for the trades.

WARNING - THREAD DRIFT AHEAD

Quote:
Sorry bud... I left the gun with one of my best friends so I don't need to go through the hassle of shipping my gun each time I fly. I stopped carrying my Glock 26 after I got my Kahr PM9 so it is no big deal. He has 2 kids, but he also has a safe where the gun is stored.
Good thing the universal background check bill didn't pass --- you know the one to close the "gun show loophole." What you described would have been a transfer and required a background check of your friend. Then when you returned, you couldn't shoot it except at an approved gun range --- unless you wanted to go through another transfer procedure.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:28 PM   #47
fragtagninja

I think it depends on how much that pistol costs and what the 5 or 6 others would be. If we are talking about something in the range of $5000. Well I could personally own most of the pistols on my acquisition list for that much. All great guns, but none of them are $5000 a piece great. However I do agree quality over quantity though. I would rather have one gun I know I can count on than 100 guns that cough and sputter.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:38 PM   #48
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJim
Good thing the universal background check bill didn't pass --- you know the one to close the "gun show loophole." What you described would have been a transfer and required a background check of your friend. Then when you returned, you couldn't shoot it except at an approved gun range --- unless you wanted to go through another transfer procedure.
I never officially transferred the pistol to him. He is just holding it for safe keeping for me since I travel there periodically. I have a business there and I carry when I am there. Besides, he is a Major in the Air Force and was given a "definite promote" for Lieutenant Colonel. He also has pretty high level clearance since he was manning nukes.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:55 PM   #49
mavracer

Quote:
I never officially transferred the pistol to him. He is just holding it for safe keeping for me since I travel there periodically. I have a business there and I carry when I am there. Besides, he is a Major in the Air Force and was given a "definite promote" for Lieutenant Colonel. He also has pretty high level clearance since he was manning nukes.
All of that wouldn't have mattered the way the law was written you couldn't leave it in his possession without a transfer.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 7, 2013, 06:05 PM   #50
Old 454

I was offered an Alaskan Super Redhawk in .454 new in the box and a GP100 Talo edition Wiley Clapp that has maybe 20 rounds through it, for my 1989 Freedom Arms .454 Premire grade.

I am considering it.