The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 3, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1
roy reali

Typical Savage?

A fellow worker showed up with a target he shot over the weekend at the range. He used his new rifle. It was one of those Savage "package" deals, you know the rifle and scope combos. His is chambered in .223 Remington.

I couldn't believe the groupings. Five shot groups at or under an inch. I trust that he fired them at one hundred yards. He also used intial reloads just to test the gun, he has yet to work up better loads.

Is this typical accuracy for Savage rifles?
Old May 3, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2
TXGunNut

I keep hearing the stories and have even seen a few targets. Personally, I don't believe them. I think I'll be forced to buy one to see for myself. That M10 Precision carbine in .223 with the Accustock has found its way to the top of my "want list".
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Moloch

Quote:
Yes it is, 1'' isn't even super-impressive for a Savage, they usually group around .75 (at least the Savage in .308 do)
Old May 3, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Between my dad and I... We do not own a savage that does not shoot an inch or less at 100 yards....

Here are a couple of examples.... Top is the first three shot group I fired with my savage 17HMR... The second is a representative group of what my .22 savage will produce... My 22-250 savage is very accurate, but I don't have any pics of the groups...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; May 3, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:33 PM   #5
mt_dren

I would agree. I have a 10fp in 223 and 12FV in 22-250 those both do an inch or less at 100. Both seem to like 55gr bullets in just about everything.

mt_dren
Old May 3, 2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Bigjfb

Savage: ugly and clunky but as accurate as you can get for under $1k

I have one in .243, .338, 22-250

all sub moa, the 22-250 is 1/2 moa after a little Final Finish and great stock with pretty good optics. Gun was also strapped into a device.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:38 PM   #7
bald1

My 10FP.308 in stock form was well under MOA. These days it regularly shoots 0.35 MOA with 168 and 175 grain moly coated handloads. It is a '98 vintage equipped with SharpShooterSupply (Moreo) competition trigger and Moreo's kelvar-fiberglass wide beavertail thumbhole stock. Shown here with a Gibbs M8500 bipod. Leupold Mil-Dot scope over an Armament Technology 15MOA shim.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, over 60, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
Old May 3, 2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
As bad as they look, Savage rifles have always had a well-deserved reputation for accuracy.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Ifishsum

Pretty much every newer Savage bolt rifle I've handled will shoot MOA or better - can't say enough good things about them. That's at least a dozen between mine and friends rifles...and I don't even think they look bad. Can't really figure out why they have a reputation for being ugly

Unfortunately they sort of spoil you because you start thinking that anything less accurate is a POS. I recently built an AR15 and it's probably more accurate than a lot of them, but I still have a hard time being satisfied with how it shoots.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:33 PM   #10
Irish80prf

Yep it's true I have 3 now and all of them are shooters. Here is a link to a thread I started with a picture of my .46" five shot group. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...y+shoot+savage
Old May 3, 2010, 11:52 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
They're elaborately concocted lies, formulated by the buyers of Savage and Stevens rifles - in an attempt to help them feel better about not being able to afford a Kimber, Cooper, Nosler, or Whitworth custom rifle.

Old May 3, 2010, 11:59 PM   #12
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
They're elaborately concocted lies, formulated by the buyers of Savage and Stevens rifles - in an attempt to help them feel better about not being able to afford a Kimber, Cooper, Nosler, or Whitworth custom rifle.
I sure wouldn't put kimber in the same category as the other three...
Old May 4, 2010, 12:05 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I sure wouldn't put kimber in the same category as the other three...
I was trying to go for a progressive increase in quality.
I guess it's a bit circumstantial, and up to personal preference, though.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:08 AM   #14
.300 Weatherby Mag

For someone with mauser in their screen name... I am deeply disappointed that Empire Mauser is not on your list...
Old May 4, 2010, 07:01 AM   #15
roy reali

Looking At One

I was on the Savage website. I see they have their Model 14 Classic available in .250 Savage chambering. I am very intriqued by this rifle.

Does anyone here have one of these rifles in .250 Savage?
Old May 4, 2010, 07:10 AM   #16
TRguy

Yeah I know what you mean FrankenMauser, Kimber, Cooper, Nosler, and Whitworth have won the World Long Distance Championship so many times....Wait...What? OHHHHHH it was Savage that has won the World Championship five years in a row with an off the shelf production rifle.

Please feel free to comeback when any of those 4 you mention have matched or exceeded that accomplishment.

I vote that the MOA should be changed to MOS, Minute of Savage.
Old May 4, 2010, 07:15 AM   #17
taylorce1

No, but I will and it isn't going to be on a Savage either. The modle 14's are pretty nice but I'm going a different route on my .250-3000 Savage. I was going to build one on a 93 Mauser I had laying around but got talking with my smith and he changed my mind.

So the the rifle I'll build will be on a Mini Mauser action, I'm building this rifle for my daughter who is seven. I need somehting that will fit her and not beat her to death to shoot. Decided on the .250 as it was a nice compact round that would fit in that action with enough power for pronghorn and mule deer.

However I may take one of my Stevens rifles and convert it to a .250 before that rifle gets finished so I can play with that cartridge. My Mauser is going to be converted to a .300 Savage now so I get to play with both of Savage's old offerings.
Old May 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #18
cbrabham

My custom shop Savage in .243 is a bughole shooter, shooting Federal premium 100 grn loads. - I haven't had the gun long enough to try out any handloads, but have ordered 100 Nosler 90 grn ballistic tip bullets to play around with.

I specified a stainless steel barreled action, hinged floorplate, laminated thumbhole stock and 24" sporter barrel.

The 24" barrel gives me a bit more velocity and a bit less noise. I'm a big-bore fan, so to me the recoil is virtually nonexistent on this gun. - It feels like a .223.

Is it ugly? - Maybe I'm just used to looking at it and think it's OK, when really it's a bow-wow.

{ Click an mage to see it full-size }

Last edited by cbrabham; May 4, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old May 4, 2010, 08:58 AM   #19
TRguy

Some pics from a Savage Factory tour

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...-factory-tour/
Old May 4, 2010, 09:52 AM   #20
truckpuller

cbrabham, i think your rifle is beautiful, i would shoot that thing any day....
Old May 4, 2010, 11:27 AM   #21
Blue Grass

Yep. I've never owned a Savage that wouldn't shoot. I saw a guy at the range a couple of years ago who had a Savage (Can't remember the model #) rifle in .17 HMR. He was shooting the heads off those little green plastic soldiers at 100 yrds. That's like shooting at thumb tacks.
Old May 4, 2010, 02:14 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean FrankenMauser, Kimber, Cooper, Nosler, and Whitworth have won the World Long Distance Championship so many times....Wait...What? OHHHHHH it was Savage that has won the World Championship five years in a row with an off the shelf production rifle.

Please feel free to comeback when any of those 4 you mention have matched or exceeded that accomplishment.

I vote that the MOA should be changed to MOS, Minute of Savage.
Sense the sarcasm.

The most expensive rifle I own is a tang-safety Ruger M77, with a Leupold 6-24x50mm scope. Next up would be a Ruger M77 MkII.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you'll find things like an old Marlin 882, M38 Mosin, an old Rossi 62SAC, and the Franken Mauser.

My current project rifles are a Marlin XL7, and an 1895 Springfield Krag (turned into a carbine) that was picked up at a fraction of its actual value. (The store thought it was a victim of backyard gunsmithing. We discovered it was actually a re-arsenal carbine.)

And, for the record - I don't give a rat's ass who wins the World Long Distance Championships. My firearms are not paper punchers. Every one of them is set up for big game, small game, upland game, and predators. My shooting is done between 10 yards and 600 yards. When competitions start requiring licenses and tags, expanding bullets, and use live game... I might pay attention.

Remember TRguy - not everything is about performance. Sometimes, it's about looks and personal preference. I can't get past the butt-ugly barrel nut, bolt, and bolt shroud on Savages (not to mention, the unusual placement of the bolt handle - it's not natural).

Some people marry blondes and red-heads. I married a brunette.
Old May 4, 2010, 02:27 PM   #23
Bigjfb

Quote:
Sense the sarcasm.

The most expensive rifle I own is a tang-safety Ruger M77, with a Leupold 6-24x50mm scope. Next up would be a Ruger M77 MkII.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you'll find things like an old Marlin 882, M38 Mosin, an old Rossi 62SAC, and the Franken Mauser.

My current project rifles are a Marlin XL7, and an 1895 Springfield Krag (turned into a carbine) that was picked up at a fraction of its actual value. (The store thought it was a victim of backyard gunsmithing. We discovered it was actually a re-arsenal carbine.)

And, for the record - I don't give a rat's ass who wins the World Long Distance Championships. My firearms are not paper punchers. Every one of them is set up for big game, small game, upland game, and predators. My shooting is done between 10 yards and 600 yards. When competitions start requiring licenses and tags, expanding bullets, and use live game... I might pay attention.

Remember TRguy - not everything is about performance. Sometimes, it's about looks and personal preference. I can't get past the butt-ugly barrel nut, bolt, and bolt shroud on Savages (not to mention, the unusual placement of the bolt handle - it's not natural).

Some people marry blondes and red-heads. I married a brunette.
I am sure the OP is grateful for your valuable input to his thread.

sarcasm is fun
Old May 4, 2010, 02:55 PM   #24
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Yep.

I bought a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag from a friend, just to help him out, it's been the most accurate rifle I own, including a custom Mauser.

As far as I'm concerned, if I needed I new rifle, it would be a Savage.
Old May 4, 2010, 03:11 PM   #25
Kreyzhorse

Yep. I've got a left handed Savage 7mm Rem Mag and my buddy has a 30.06 and both of them are very accurate. They are a little ugly, but man do they shoot.