The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
kdog70

COAL??

I just loaded my first 5 cartridges for my AR-10. I put together my case, primer, varget and Sierra 165 HPBT and my speer manual says COAL of 2.8 my Loadbooks USA says 2.75. So can i just take a magic number between that or what? Also my instructions with seating die said one full turn back after feeling it touching the case......it only took my COAL to 2.65 so i just kept backing it up and trial by error I got it. How can i know i am gonna get the right COAL with out trying then pulling then trying then pulling till i get it.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
rwilson452

The way I do it with a new load or die is to set it up to be deliberately long then keep working do until I get what I want. that way I don't need to pull the bullet just keep setting it deeper. I do this with a dummy round ( no primer or powder.) My seating dies are Lee is once the die body is set I only adjust the the seating knob. If I crimp, I crimp with a Lee FCD.