The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2001, 07:07 AM   #1
AC's & 45's

please explain chokes

I understand the the different constrictions at the end of the shotgun barrel"chokes" change the shot density at a given range.

Can somebody tell me where to find info that shows the difference in patterns with the various chokes.
I am one of those people that needs pictures.
Old July 16, 2001, 07:35 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

This might help a little. http://www.mossberg.com/anatomychoke.htm

Old July 16, 2001, 08:27 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pics might help a bit, but the best way to figure chokes out is to go out and shoot same. Set up close, say 25 yards,and shoot the same ammo but change the choke. Use a big piece of paper for each choke.

The marking on the tubes are merely educated guesses on the maker's part. Confirm what each tube does, WHERE IT HITS, and go from there.Quite often, different tubes will have different POIs.

Then move the target back a ways and try there. If this is a HD tool,measure the longest shot possible in your home,add a yard for GPs, and pattern at that range.If using buck or other large shot, start with your most open tube and go from there.

If you primarily hunt quail, try patterning at 25, pheasant, 35, waterfowl 40.

Last edited by Dave McC; July 17, 2001 at 08:48 AM.