The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2015, 03:38 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Hey Pause... Please tell us where you're buying your materials. I reload a ton of 9mm and I am nowhere near as cheap as you claim. I'd love to get in on that action.
Just keep your eyes open and check around ... constantly.

During the Barackolypse of 2008-2010, most people couldn't find "economical" primers, if they could find primers at all.
However, I found Fiocchi, MagTech, and several other import primers (online) for less than half of what other people were paying for "anything" they could find. Including the hazmat fee, I ended up with over 8,500 small pistol primers at an average price just a hair under $14 per thousand (I think it was $13.73).

The Fiocchi primers, in particular, were a great value. They were priced at just $1 more per "brick" than the other imports, but Fiocchi packages their small pistol primers in 1,500 count bricks, rather than 1,000.
Old January 4, 2015, 04:04 AM   #27
hartcreek

It has taken me years to get my chiropractor back to CCW. He used to carry when he drove a wrecker. Now he is shooting my reloads for 9mm as we barter services and he does not want to purchase any more factory ammunition any more as it is so wimpy. I am only reloading 115 grain bullets to 1100fps in 9mm and to him they feel much better then the stuff that he bought. If you are content to shoot wimpy factory ammunition and you do not want the best to practice with and protect your family......then by all means go ahead and purchase factory ammo.

Last edited by hartcreek; January 4, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:55 AM   #28
Jimro

If you have a good paying job, and you value your time, then commercial ammo is probably the way to go in 223 if you aren't looking for match grade performance.

I don't reload 9mm despite having the dies for it for the same reason. My time is worth more than the cost of buying factory.

Of course the moment you want match performance from anything, the cost of reloading is way cheaper than factory. Which is why I have 9mm dies, so I can tune loads to my Beretta service pistol.

Of course I can reload my 75gr OTM loads in 223 for 27 cents a pop, so getting match ammo at plinking prices isn't a bad thing.

Jimro
Old January 4, 2015, 07:28 AM   #29
ATPBULLETS

Your pricing on components is a little off from mine. But you are correct in that the ammo shortage is going away. Some say a glut is coming big time. I leverage my supplies of ammo,,, in that I keep store bought ammo when its on sale and reloaded ammo from when the components are on sale, between the two..average cost per round for any given caliber I shoot is below current market price. And in the process I have enjoyed a hobby and increased my skill at a trade.... rained all day yesterday...the reloading bench was where it was at...
Old January 4, 2015, 07:37 AM   #30
Ritz

I don't routinely reload .223. I did a few hundred to see how they performed and was satisfied that I could do it even though it wasn't a financial win.

That said, I keep enough fixins on hand to be able to reload a few thousand rounds of EVERY caliber for guns that I own (except 12 gauge shotgun) in case "something happens" and ammo is no longer commercially available. That is my primary reason for expending the money and effort on reloading equipment and supplies. The distant secondary reason is that it's fun to experiment with different loads when time permits.

So right now, that means I have the ingredients (some overlap across multiple calibers) to reload:

.357mag
.38 special
.45 ACP
.30-06 springfield
.308 winchester
.38-55 winchester (still my favorite deer getter)
.223 rem
and black powder supplies for my .58cal zoave replica

Best,
Old January 4, 2015, 07:57 AM   #31
jrobin3360

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcreek View Post
I am only reloading 115 grain bullets to 1100fps in 9mm
What powder are you using?
Old January 4, 2015, 08:09 AM   #32
flashhole

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said but I want to follow the thread. I reload expensive rifle cartridges for accuracy and save a buttload of money in the process.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 4, 2015, 08:14 AM   #33
hartcreek

4.4 grains of Green Dot is what I first used but I was using 6.7 grains of HS6 tonight. I also have used Unique but I get stingy with that since it is in a 8 pound bottle.

Primers I can get for under $40, a pound of HS6 is $30 and 1000 Berrys in the 250 boxes is less then $100 so for $170 plus my time I can have 1000 precision reloads instead of factory junk.

For my own use I use my cast 105 grain SWCs out of Lee mold with liquid allox or I can powder coat if I want to but after shooting some of my first batch or powder coats out of my Star I see no advantage of shooting powder coated bullets out a conventially rifled barrel.

Since I use the same bullet for five calibers that being 9mm Corto,.38 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and now 9mm Lugar for my own loading I always have bullets in stock.
Old January 4, 2015, 08:31 AM   #34
zeke

In times when the price of factory rounds drop below the price I want to reload for, am buying the factory rounds. Particularly 9mm and 45 acp, then save the brass. Likely 44 special, 44 mag and 45 LC will always be cheaper to reload for. Am still working, the time involved means something.

Having sustained through multiple shortages, am glad to pick up the brass others leave during times of plenty.

For .223 and .308, have simply stopped buying the cheaper bulk fmj's to reload. For the time, effort and expense involved in reloading, prefer the more accurate bullets.

A lot of people distained reloading berdan primed .308s, but during periods of scarcity the effort was worth it for me to keep shooting accurate rounds. Course for others , it may not be.
Old January 4, 2015, 12:04 PM   #35
jrobin3360

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcreek View Post
4.4 grains of Green Dot is what I first used but I was using 6.7 grains of HS6 tonight. I also have used Unique but I get stingy with that since it is in a 8 pound bottle.
I'm getting around 1150 fps avg with 6gr of Power Pistol under a 115gr FMJ but I'm about out of that & want to find another powder that will give similar results. Power Pistol is as scarce as hens teeth. CFE Pistol is close with the same charge but PP has better accuracy. Guess I'll add Green Dot to my list of powders to buy. Thanks for the info.
I haven't bought any factory ammo in over a year. With supplies on hand, it costs me about $15 for 50 9mm or 45 ACP. I haven't looked at current store prices so I'm not sure if reloading is cheaper or not. I enjoy making my own ammo anyway. I get just what I want from my ammo.
Old January 4, 2015, 12:17 PM   #36
std7mag

Yeah, you got your CTD flier, so did I. And while the prices aren't too bad, you still haven't figured in shipping!!!

I reload for many of the same reasons that others have mentioned.

1) I can customize to my firearm, or the situation that I'm going to be using.
2) I enjoy it.
3) I have several rifles of the same caliber. 7mm. Not same cartridge. And I can reload my 7mm Rem Mag for way less that the almost $40 a box for the premium stuff. That and the 7mm bullets for my Rem Mag also work very well in my 7mm-08. Especially when you figure that I put about 900 rounds through the 7mm-08, and I think 300+ through the Rem Mag this last year.
4) I find doing load development for all my different firearms fun and interesting.

Would I reload for the 223? Probably not, unless I was entering some long range competitions with it.
Old January 4, 2015, 12:32 PM   #37
Old Stony

Are us shooters ready to lower our heads and go back to CTD hoping for a deal? How easily we forget !
Accuracy is the real reason to reload, not just buying something to make noise.
Old January 4, 2015, 12:49 PM   #38
Jim243

Quote:
If you don't want to reload because you don't enjoy it ..... then don't. Just don't say it is more expensive to roll your own.

I totally agree, but who cares. They were not smart enough to avoid the shortages of the last few years and they will fall into the same problem in the future. It reminds me of "Dumb & Dumber". I still have over 4,000 rounds of 22 LR that I paid $12.95 a brick. And will still have some when they run out again. I never got into reloading to save money (but I do), I haven't purchased a commercial round in almost 10 years now, rifle or pistol and I am sitting on more ammo than I can shoot in my life time (71 years old).

Who cares if they are not smart enough to prepare for the future. Like the saying goes "Those that fail to learn the lessons from history are condemn to repeat them again."

I like to reload because I like it, not because I need to or to save any money. Because having ammo to spare when you want to go shooting is "Priceless".

Stay safe and keep your powder dry.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; January 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old January 4, 2015, 01:19 PM   #39
boondocker385

@4runner....I train, I don't shoot at targets...roflol....seriously dude, do you operate operationally too?
Old January 4, 2015, 01:20 PM   #40
Brutus

For me reloading is part of the ritual of shooting. You will never see me blasting off rounds at a rapid pace, each shot is deliberately placed for the smallest group I'm capable of achieving and their is no better feeling than taking game with one shot from a round you carefully developed for your personnel rifle, hand gun or shotgun for that matter. Yes I load for all three and the only time I use factory ammo is for self defense because of the lawyer factor.
Old January 4, 2015, 01:33 PM   #41
Dragonflydf

I reload for 2 reasons, to save money and to be able to shoot old obsolete calibers. I cannot always find 7.7 Jap or 30/40 Krag on the shelf, I can never find 30 mauser and the only loads I trust in my trapdoors are my own loads. I have known several people over the years that have trapdoors, but never shoot them because of the cost, last time I took mine out I shot 50 rnds, my out of pockets cost for those was about $8.
Some pistol is worth loading for, 45 Colt and 44 Mag are too costly for my taste, but once I gathered the brass, I can load them for very little money. One of my favorites to go to the range with is a Pietta SAA in 45 Colt, it would not be if I had to pay shelf prices for ammo.
Old January 4, 2015, 03:48 PM   #42
Lsc8

I started reloading about 10-12 years ago and built a pretty good stock pile. Life happened and I got away from it for the last 8 or 9. Collage is over, my 3 kids are getting a little older, and I now have a little time for my hobbies again. Having used most of my reloaded stockpile I got quite the shock when going to buy supplies. But then again I was flabbergasted at the availability of 22 shells and the price of factory ammo too. I always enjoyed reloading and find it relaxing. I didn't realize how much so until I after started up again.
Old January 4, 2015, 04:11 PM   #43
mavracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker385
I train, I don't shoot at targets
You actually have to train to not hit a target.

To the OP I can reload match grade ammo for about what Wolf steelcase goes for. If I'm just ringing steel under 200 cheep stuff is fine but when I'm shooting @500+ I'll take my reloads. Also I shoot other calibers that aren't cheap to buy factory.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

Last edited by mavracer; January 4, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:08 PM   #44
kostner

Why I Handload
In order of importance, I handload because:

1: I can customize my rounds. I build ammo better suited for my specific needs than factory. And my ammo is of higher quality than factory.

2: I enjoy it. I find the time spent reconditioning brass and loading to be therapeutic. It's a "labor of love;" and thus, offsets the value of my time.

3: Cost savings.

Conclusion: Even if there were no cost savings associated with handloading, I would still do it. quote from Nick C S
Thanks Nick you took the word out of my mouth. Don't reload as many calibers as I once did but 45 acp & 223/5.56 are my pet rounds these days.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:32 PM   #45
9mmSkeeter

If economy is the SOLE reason you're hand loading...

...you may be doing it for the wrong reason. Yes, economy is an important factor, maybe to some THE most important factor. But you've got to feel accomplished knowing that with the turn of a die and the crank of a handle, you're crunching your own loads and making things happen. You get to pick your powder, your primers, your bullet style, charge weight...its endless, well almost. There's a sense of pride, as well as comfort, in reloading. We eat at home because its cheaper, yes, but often times we make things that we know we can cook the best. It's the same way with hand loading.

It's like a craft. Or painting. Or some other past time. It's fun and relaxing. If it isn't for you, maybe you're better off saving the time and buying factory loads?
Old January 4, 2015, 07:13 PM   #46
pathdoc

I load for customisation, for the ability to be independent of shelves if someone screwed up in stock rotation or there's a buying spree, and because I enjoy playing around with stuff. Economics is a very distant last, or I'd have stuck with the basic single-stage kit I bought to start out with and I'd still be screwing dies in and out of a single-stage press and weighing my loads on the plastic-bodied scale that came with it (RCBS for the record).

If you want true loading economy, buy a Lee Loader for each calibre and a cheap scale if you want to go outside scoop recommendations. I wouldn't go down that road if I were starting again, if only because the neck sizing nature of the Lee Loader rules out using range pickups, but I got into .223 Rem when it was still short on the shelves (it isn't any more; I've seen the same two 100-round boxes of 45gn Winchester white label in Walmart two weekends running) and I suspect others have enough of their own fired factory brass to make it worthwhile.
Old January 4, 2015, 07:31 PM   #47
surveyor

While I agree that there may not be much cost savings for for certain common calibers and weights I'll pile on the bandwagon my own reasons..

I enjoy it..

9&38 I can load for less than 6$/50
45 are less than 8/50
223 are 8/20 (77 smk)
6 mm are 10.20/20 (75 v max)
308 are 11.20/20 (168 smk)

This does not count brass cost as these are common range pickups except 6 mm...
The rifle rounds are target loads and are either cheaper to load or unable to be found in the loadings I want.
Pistol are hardcast.

I like having the availibility of shooting what I want knowing I can replace it,and not being subject to market shortages in commercial ammo.
I like tuning it to the gun
I like choosing components and seeing what works better.
It adds to the total firearm ownership experience.
I like knowing that I can shoot obsolete/obscure/expensive coomercial calibers as much as I want, not worring about ammo costs.
I enjoy learning..
Old January 4, 2015, 07:45 PM   #48
Wat_Tyler

Quote:
I started reloading about a year and a half ago. I started due to availability and because ANY kind of ammo was about 50c a round, including 9mm.
Maybe right this second it is not cheaper for you to handload for the .223, but keep in mind that in the past you could get surplus ammo ridiculously cheap. That ammo has mostly been bought up so the price per round will continue to go up for the forseeable future.

You said you got into reloading due to availability. There is a chance (maybe small, probably large) that availability will be an issue again in the future. If you already have your supplies now, then availability will no longer be an issue for you.

If you fire other cartridges (like the .303 British) then you will save money on every round you manufacture for the rest of your days.

Also, keep in mind that the same powder and primer can be used on multiple calibers. Let's say you are low on .308 but have plenty of .30-06 on hand. It would make more sense to use that powder and primers on .308 but you could also use those on .30-06 if you desire.

All of this doesn't even take into account the hobby aspect like others have mentioned.

But yeah, if you only reload for one caliber then maybe you could simply buy in bulk when .223 is on sale and save your time.

I will say that right now, I can handload .40 for cheaper than I can buy it. Maybe that will change in the future, maybe not.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:28 PM   #49
skizzums

I still enoy reloading, and I am always striving for the best groups I can get, especially when talking .224. so I am not putting down the press, I just used to always keep a rotation of a couple thousand plinking loads which I used the cheapest components available, I am just sayng I will be taking a break from THAT part of reloading. I don't do a whole lot of "plinking" anyhow, I just thought it was a curious observation. it was interesting to hear all the replies.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:35 PM   #50
A pause for the COZ

Ok I ran some numbers for my 9mm load.

Primers paid $14.5 per 1000. Thats 0.0145 each or 0.725 per 50

Brass= Free range pick ups. Have never purchased one. But figure your cost each divided by 3 average loadings.
So if you paid $25 for 500. Take 25 /500/3 x 50 = 0.833 per 50

Powder $15 for a pound of Bullseye. 7000/4.5=1555 loads.
15/1555=0.0096 x50=0.482

Bullets. I shoot lead. I pay avg $1.25 a pound. 145 gr bullet.
7000/145=48.2 so 1.25 /48.2= 0.026x50= 1.30

Total
0.725+0.833 +0.482+1.30= $3.34 per 50 rounds.

My cost is less. I did not pay for brass and I reclaim 80% of my lead and shoot it again. In essence I shoot 9mm for less that 22 cal.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; January 4, 2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Had to edit my numbers. math sucks.