The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 31, 2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

S&W SD9 VE Impulse Buy

What started as an impulse buy really turned out great for me, i really like the feel of this gun. 100 rounds no problems, fixed sights and a real light frame.

Took me a few rounds to get the feel, little different for me since i'm usually a metal frame guy, had a few glocks but sold them/traded them.

I would like to try this for CCW because of it's hi-cap and it's "READY TO GO TRIGGER SAFETY DESIGN" considered by many to be ideal setup for CCW.

Anyone Pointers other than the obvious safety, i should know already things?

Old March 31, 2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Colorado Luckydog

The trigger has two springs. If you remove one of them, it's the same as getting a trigger job. It makes it much lighter but not dangerous. There are videos on youtube how to do it. It's not hard at all. I carried one of these for years and it's a great gun for the money.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; March 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Leejack

My vote goes for keeping it stock, lube as per owners manual and practice as often as possible.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Colorado Luckydog

The trigger comes from the factory set between 8lbs and 12lbs. Compare that to the glock at around 5.2. Then add the fact that it's not only a heavy pull but a very long pull. You will be much happier with taking the spring out if you are going to shoot it much at all.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
The trigger comes from the factory set between 8lbs and 12lbs.
Yeah, mine is a long 8 lb and from what i gather it was done that way on purpose, for safety.

For me personally I feel that the long pull is the foremost part of the safety, next to the two part trigger.Though the harder pull was deemed an improvement by design, it doesn't work as well on a real light gun as far as pulling off target, if you aren't use to it.

I know it's accurate, just gonna take some more practice to get use to it.
Don't get me wrong i had good partial groups by the time I was on the second half of it's first hundred.Partial groups because of getting use to trigger pull.

Like four in a tight group (An inch or less), one a few inches off and the last four or five inches way from the group @ 10 yards. Big improvement from the first thirty rounds where i would have one real nice one and the others from 4 inches to 15 inches off target.
Think I'm gonna do the trigger job before i go out again
Old March 31, 2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; March 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM.