The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
colostomyclown

considering a stoeger 2000 semi auto

you know, the benelli copy. ive heard good things, and theyre relatively cheap. any thoughts?
Old March 15, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
jmr40

I had one for a while and consider them a best buy in a shotgun. Mine worked perfectly with a wide range of loads over the 2 years I owned it. They are quite light and the inertia recoil system does not dampen recoil so it will kick a little more than most autos, but no worse than a pump or double.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
RoscoeC

I bought one about a year ago. Nice shotgun. You will be hard pressed to do better for the money.
NRA Life Member
Old April 4, 2009, 06:13 PM   #4
DaytonXD9

I too was looking at the Stoeger 2000, it looks like a great value. It was $449 at Dick's Sporting Goods. The salesman said he has seen them on sale for less, but didn't reveal what the lesser price was. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I would guess around $379~$399?
Old April 4, 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
RoscoeC

I bought mine at Dicks and it has been 100%. It really isn't a Benelli copy. While it is built on the Benelli patent (makes sense, Benelli and Stoeger are both owned by Beretta), it is really quite different.

It is no less a great shotgun, though. I paid $399.00 for mine about a year ago.
NRA Life Member
Old April 5, 2009, 05:29 AM   #6
darkgael

+1 on all the above. Very satisfied with mine.
Pete
Old April 5, 2009, 06:05 AM   #7
jaymce

The Stoeger and Benelli are not the same. There are quite a few differences. That being said I have a brother with a Benelli SS and a buddy in the CG that just bought the Stoeger. Aside from a few ftf and fte on the first 50 shots with the Stoeger the thing appears to be working flawlessly. For about 1/4 the price of the Benelli I would have to say it is a great buy. It also seems to be more reliable than other guns in that price range.
Old April 6, 2009, 02:21 PM   #8
FrozenTundra

Just bought the Stoeger M2000 last month at Sportsman's for $439, which wasn't the cheapest, it turns out. Did all the recommended things: put a Limbsaver on it, put blue loctite on the little screw on the left, cleaned it up real well, and worked the heck out of the action before it ever fired a shell.

Took it out last weekend and did two rounds of sporting clays, without a single problem. After reading all the issues on the forums, I had fired 10 shots through it before going to do the clays, just to make sure it wouldn't embarrass me. I'm happy with it, and it seems to shoot better than I do.

I'm going to put a cheek pad on the stock, since my cheek is now a little tender. When the action locks open it kicks a bit, right in the cheek. My buddy had the same issue with his O/U.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:42 AM   #9
RetiredLawman

I've had one since 2000 when they were first introduced. It works great but the machining is not what the New Models are. In 2007, Benelli installed new CNC machining at Stoeger SSA in Istanbul and most of their action parts and barrels are made there. The main difference between the Benelli and the Stoeger 2000 is external. The innards are pertnear the same except for the recoil spring. The Benelli has theirs in the stock, Stoeger 2000, Franchi I-12, and the Benelli Montefeltro have the recoil around the magazine tube.

Other than polishing the action parts, and actually test firing the guns, there ain't much diffference in the 2000, I-12, and Montefeltro. The Monte gets a prettier exterior than the I-12, the I-12 gets a prettier exterior than the 2000. The Monte gets test fired and has the innards polished. Not so with the I-12 and the 2000.

The I-12 is assembled in Italy and the 2000 is assembled in Istanbul. The Monte is assembled in Italy. The Monte is QC tested while the I-12 and the 2000 is tossed in a box after assembly for the customer to QC and return if it ain't right, usually several times.

Since I have to live on a retired cop's pension, I use the 2000. I bought a New Model last year. It does the job I want done. It is in camo and cost $439 with a box of loads thrown in to clinch the deal.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:02 AM   #10
StratoCactus

Stoeger 2000

I'm very happy with mine as well. I bought it new last year for about $390. The action performs flawlessly with every load I've tried so far: light target loads in various brands and heavier loads in #4 birdshot and 00 buck. I abused the thing in that I shot 300 rounds through it before giving its first cleaning whatsoever. Never had a failure to feed/extract. I occasionally get misfires on the cheap target rounds (maybe one per hundred rounds) but I think that's to be expected.

It's a great value. Obviously it's nothing special cosmetically, but the materials and construction seem very solid, the action design is first rate, and it came with four chokes.

Incidentally, does anyone know if you can get an aftermarket rifled slug barrel for this gun?
Old April 7, 2009, 10:14 AM   #11
LanceOregon

In that price range, I would go with the CZ model 712 instead.

Budsgunshop.com has them in stock for only $399

Old January 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Zturner

Blackhawk stock

Does anyone know if the Blackhawk SpecOps shotgun stock fits the stoeger 2000?