The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2008, 08:08 PM   #1
under_dawg

Are LEE Pacesetter Dies Carbide??

Are LEE Pacesetter Dies Carbide? I had a buddy of mine that bought a Deluxe Rifle Set and said using lube was not necessary. Are these dies all the same?
Old February 24, 2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Sevens

I have a hard time keeping track of the different "sets" Lee puts together. But to the best of my knowledge, Lee doesn't make any carbide dies in any rifle rounds other than .30 M1 Carbine. (and even with that one in carbide, you've gotta use some lube)

You need lube for just about every bottle-necked rifle round if you are doing full-length sizing.

With all that said, if the pace setter die set includes a Lee Collet neck-only sizing die, then yeah, you don't have to lube anything when you neck-only size. But you can't neck-only size for everything.
Old February 24, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
rwilson452

In the deluxe set you get a neck sizing die with that one you don't need lube. Full length resizing rifle dies need lube. No, pacesetter dies are not carbide not that that would help. You would still need to lube.
The sizing die is the only one that needs lube.
Old February 24, 2008, 08:41 PM   #4
under_dawg

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.