The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 29, 2014, 03:39 PM   #26
Surp

That's cool zfk55 but the only thing that leaves me wondering is how there is still unissued walnut stock k31's. Considering they are the older ones you would think they would get issued before they started issuing the beech stock version or at least at some point in time between the start of beech wood and the end of production.

Last edited by Surp; June 29, 2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old June 29, 2014, 04:58 PM   #27
zfk55

After the war walnut became available once again. Being the preferred wood before the war, those stocks produced after the war was over changed back to walnut.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 29, 2014, 10:19 PM   #28
gyvel

Quote:
Tahunua, this is a bit off topic, but would a bayonet affect M91/30 accuracy?
It was my understanding that point of impact was calibrated by the Russians WITH the bayonet attached

Last edited by gyvel; June 30, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old July 6, 2014, 12:18 AM   #29
Surp

kilimanjaro what did they tell you on the shipping because I have been waiting for them to ship my mauser for a few weeks now. They told me something about moving locations.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:54 AM   #30
kilimanjaro

Surp, they have said nothing to me beyond the email order acknowledgment of my order. That was last week.

I plan on calling for an update this week.

A bayonet order last year took three weeks to arrive. Not too concerned yet.
Old July 6, 2014, 01:50 PM   #31
tahunua001

Quote:
kilimanjaro what did they tell you on the shipping because I have been waiting for them to ship my mauser for a few weeks now. They told me something about moving locations.
they said they'd send me a shipping confirmation and I never got one, you'll probably get a call from your LGS saying they have it before you get an email.
Old July 6, 2014, 03:20 PM   #32
Surp

Yeah I still haven't got an E-mail from them nor have they charged me.

I heard they were slow but I just thought it was a little weird because at first they said they couldn't take my order because their system was down then they said they could take my order but told me something about moving locations so they wouldn't be able to ship it for two weeks. It's been over two weeks and so far still nothing so I guess I am going to have to call them again tomorrow.
Old July 6, 2014, 04:39 PM   #33
tahunua001

yep it took about a week for them to actually charge me.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:53 PM   #34
gyvel

Quote:
...but told me something about moving locations so they wouldn't be able to ship it for two weeks.
They used to be somewhere west of Miami Intl. Airport, but God only knows where they are moving to now.

Quite frankly, I never dealt with them because of some nasty rumors that arose when they first opened around 1982.
Old July 6, 2014, 11:21 PM   #35
Surp

Don't hold back gyvel. If you know information the rest of us might be interested in let us know.

I had heard some stuff about them piecing together m4b1 snipers and even putting some fakes together but who knows. I was also told they were muslims if that's a factor to you.

I do find it a little crazy that they say only around 5300 m41b's were made and samco has been selling them for almost 20 years without running out yet. Although they now only have un-scoped non-matching ones left.

Last edited by Surp; July 6, 2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old July 7, 2014, 01:58 AM   #36
tahunua001

not meaning to hijack the thread but...
with my M41 I do see a few things that I'm not sure about being real or not.
1. the stock inletting around the scope rail is sharp, the rest of the lines are smooth but it looks like someone just took a jigsaw to the stock to get the rail to fit.
2. the bluing is all perfect, the bolt, the receiver, the barrel. I know sweden was neutral, and their guns weren't beat to hell like most, but I don't think I've ever seen such nice bluing on any 70+ year old rifles.
3. the serial number on the rail is electro penciled while everything else is stamped, pretty hard to fake a stamp so I'm not worried about those but it does raise the question why they went to all the trouble of nicely and legibly marking everything but the one spot that you can see the full serial number?

given what I've heard of samco, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a bunch of 1896 mausers, D+T the scope rails on, penciled serials on them, cut the stocks and blued all the necessary parts to match. in the end, I have no way of knowing based on my level of knowledge on these rifles, just hunches, it wouldn't be the only time I've been fleeced and probably won't be the last.
Old July 7, 2014, 05:22 AM   #37
gyvel

Tahanua, I would be very suspect of anything from Samco.
Old July 7, 2014, 12:50 PM   #38
tahunua001

hence why I'm not buying from them anymore unless we're talking about wood bullets for demilling... makes for very cheap ammo that I don't have to worry about picking up when I'm done.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:01 PM   #39
barnbwt

Was it Samco that had the CAI-imported K31's with the 2"x3" billboard of an import stamp (it was like five lines of text) on top of the rear receiver ring?

TCB
Old July 8, 2014, 12:04 AM   #40
Surp

Well I talked to the lady there. She Said "They are saying it will not be ready till at least the end of the week". (I assume she meant ready to ship )

They are definitely taking more then enough time to make one from scratch.... It's got me wondering if they are off somewhere bastardizing some poor old unsuspecting M96 to send to me as we speak.

Last edited by Surp; July 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old July 8, 2014, 12:14 AM   #41
tahunua001

reminds me of a disgruntled ex-employee of one of the major online milsurp parts distributors talking about people would come into the store asking if they had a specific part with a specific stamp on it, the guys would walk in the back room, you'd here a few loud bangs of hammer on steel and they'd walk back in holding the exact part you'd asked for with all the "right stamps".

no matter, the M41 I got shoots well enough, if it's nothing more than Gibbs grade fake then so be it, I'm already stuck with it.
Old July 8, 2014, 12:35 AM   #42
Surp

Yeah, I am still going to go through with getting mine but I am definitely going to look it over well and post up pics so those who know much more than myself about these rifles can look it over as well.

I had heard everything from them making possible fakes to the rifles being old snippers that were no longer up to snuff and that's why they have no scope. So I was very skeptical before ever placing my order and that's why I asked you about yours. You're the only person I have seen that was willing to take the chance on one recently other than myself.

I asked the lady at samco if they were decommissioned snipers she told me no that the scopes got lost or broken over time and that they were 100% fine so I then asked her if I am not happy with it who pays to send it back and she said they would so I placed the order.

Last edited by Surp; July 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old July 13, 2014, 10:53 PM   #43
Surp

Kilimanjaro what did they say when you called them?

I am still getting the same exact story so at this rate it will be over a month from the time I placed my order before they even ship the rifle and that's if they actually stick to the time line they gave me this time.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:35 AM   #44
kilimanjaro

They said 'Wait for it, it's coming." So, I'll wait for it, I guess.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:07 AM   #45
Surp

They didn't say anything about moving locations or their internet system being down?
Old July 15, 2014, 04:25 AM   #46
gyvel

Quote:
I am still getting the same exact story so at this rate it will be over a month from the time I placed my order before they even ship the rifle and that's if they actually stick to the time line they gave me this time.
Quote:
They said 'Wait for it, it's coming." So, I'll wait for it, I guess.
Quote:
They didn't say anything about moving locations or their internet system being down?
I'll be real curious to see how this unfolds...

Old July 15, 2014, 10:48 AM   #47
Surp

I told them to call me before charging me and I finally got the call yesterday saying they where going to charge me and ship my order.

A new thread with pics to come when the little lady finally arrives.
Old July 24, 2014, 04:11 PM   #48
kilimanjaro

Well, the unissued K31 from Samco has arrived. Walnut stock, new sling, muzzle cover, and totally pristine, all-matching, unissued Swiss K31.

Other than a couple of trivial impressions in the stock wood, and light wear on the buttplate, this is a gem K31. No billboard import marks, in fact, no import marks seem to be present.

Action is smooth as the thigh of a Swiss milkmaid, or butter, if you prefer.

So you folks who are awaiting your order to arrive, you can start salivating a bit more.

I'll try and find my little camera and post some decent pictures. The cell phone camera is really not doing the job, for me.
Old July 24, 2014, 05:40 PM   #49
Mosin-Marauder

Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 24, 2014, 06:04 PM   #50
kilimanjaro

Still looking for the camera ! The cell phone may be it, after all....

Serial number indicates a 1941 manufacture date. I'd requested a WWII year and got it.