The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 26, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
.wheelgunner.

Anybody know anything about this rifle?

Quote:
it has S.S.S. & Co engraved on the barrel which someone told me probably means its a Sauer and Sohn of some description (german manufacturer) although i have found no reference to this exact gun code. As for serial numbers ... it has a 197 stamped on the barrel breach end. Other than that it has has ST PR 18 28/53 stamped in dots on the barrel too

Old February 26, 2012, 05:17 AM   #2
sebou

hi
"PR" is one of some unknow manufacturer, we are some body to seek who is it.
Please, put some more pics there with stamp, brand, number, logo ....
Thx
Seb
Old February 26, 2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Hawg

That's not a PR Sebou, nor is it a Sauer. It looks like a put together from at least two different guns.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Just to clarify . . .is this a "rifle" . . if so . . approx. caliber and does rifling show . . . or is this a smoothbore / fowler? I agree with Hawg . . . this looks like a "marriage".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 28, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
P.A. Dutchman

I thought it kind of looked like a fowling piece shotgun from the picture.
Old February 29, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Hawg

It's possible, no sights are visible but that could be camera angle. Looks like an Enfield ramrod. Barrel key in forearm with a fixed tang. Those don't usually go together. Barrel keys are usually mated with a hooked breech. Fixed tang barrels are usually pinned at the forearm.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Hawg - you pretty much voiced my thoughts - "Enfield" seems to be evident and although I've seen a number of "keyed" barrels without "patent" breeches, one has to ask "why". But, on the other hand, if you're removing the barrel often and sticking it in a barrel of water to clean, the key saves a lot of wear and tear on the stock that knocking a pin out every time would give. Remove the tang screw, knock out the key and you're ready to clean by sticking the breech in a barrel of water and using a clean rod to pull it up into the barrel and push it out again - basically the same way shotguns are cleaned on the range down at Friendship. It has the appearance of so many of the "shotguns" or "fowlers" created out of surplus parts and surplus muskets that were sold by Bannermans and similar companies following the Civil War.

To the OP - don't get any of our comments wrong or take offense - if that is what this is, they are still a nice "collectible". When I was a kid, I used one of these fowlers that was made out of a cut down/sporterized Bridesburg musket to shoot clay pigeons with. The barrel was of course shortened and the rifling reamed out of it - .58 caliber so it was pretty much the same as a 16 gauge. $ were short so instead of using commercial wads, I used newspaper and I used the salvage shot out of old shotgun shells that I had accumulated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 3, 2012, 07:05 AM   #8
sebou

Quote:
That's not a PR Sebou, nor is it a Sauer. It looks like a put together from at least two different guns.
Ok thank a lot friend ! lol i'm looking for this "PR" anywhere ...