The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old August 8, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1
rantingredneck

Primary Arms - Customer Service Report

I've been bitten by the Ruger Rimfire Series bug and have been gearing up to get into the local matches.

I traded into a 10/22 that was set up "tacticool" style and had a nice set of aperture sights affixed to a full length rail system. I'd been thinking about adding an optic to it and had heard good things about Primary Arms and their Aimpoint clones. I figure for a range toy/rimfire shoot gun It'll do nicely.

So one pops up for sale on our local forum (www.carolinashootersforum.com) and I bit. When it arrived I liked everything about it except the mount. It was a high cantilever and the HK SL8 style sights I have will not co-witness with the optic. I need the standard low mount apparently.

I emailed Primary Arms to enquire about purchasing a standard mount as I didn't see that as an option on their website.

Quoted below is our email exchange in it's entirety:

(Read from the bottom up to get it in order)

Quote:
Flag this messageRE: Contact Us RequestedSaturday, August 7, 2010 7:48 PMFrom: "Tom Wilson" <[email protected]>Add sender to ContactsTo: [email protected]tt,

WOW!

Amazingly fast response and awesome customer service. I'll make it known at all the internet fora I frequent.

Thanks!

Tom

--- On Sat, 8/7/10, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: RE: Contact Us Requested
To: [email protected]
Cc: "Scott Campbell" <[email protected]>
Date: Saturday, August 7, 2010, 7:44 PM

Hi Tom,

I'll send you a low mount on Monday at no charge.

Thanks,

Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Contact Us Requested
Date: Sat, August 07, 2010 6:28 pm
To: [email protected]

You have received a contact request from a visitor to your storefront:

E-mail Address: [email protected]
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Wilson
Company:
Request:

Hi,

I recently purchased one of your M3 red dots used with the cantilevered high mount. I need a low mounting option for the rifle I intend to use it on. The cantilever high is too high to co-witness (HK SL8 Sights on a railed 10/22). How much would it cost to purchase a standard low mount?

Thanks,
Tom

Needless to say I was highly impressed. I bought the optic used. I had no expectations of a free mount, I simply wanted to find out how to purchase one. They responded quick and with the offer to ship it to me for free!

That's Customer Service for you, and I'll be purchasing products from them again in the future.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 8, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Great news, I was just on the Primary Weapons website cheking out optics too.
Nice to hear that their service is excellent.

Quote:
It was a high cantilever and the HK SL8 style sights I have will not co-witness with the optic. I need the standard low mount apparently.
I don't want to hijack this thread. Is there a thread on this forum explaining why I would bother spending alot of money on an Optic just to have it blocked by my front ron sight. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the point.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Quote:
I don't want to hijack this thread. Is there a thread on this forum explaining why I would bother spending alot of money on an Optic just to have it blocked by my front ron sight. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the point.
In case of optic failure you can immediately transition to the iron sights visible through the optic itself. Typically you look for either a lower 1/3 co-witness (meaning the irons are visible in the lower 1/3 of the FOV of the red dot) or a true co-witness where they are together.

In the case of my AR-15, I have a Trijicon reflex on it mounted on a cantelever mount out in front of the carry handle. I can use the reflex with my head up and not see the sights at all, or I can put my nose to the charging handle and use the irons through the optic should it fail. It's a true cowitness in that using the irons, the illuminated dot sits right on top of the front sight post.

Hoping that this new mount from PA gives me a lower 1/3 co-witness on this 10/22.

Oh, and I got an email from PA moments ago informing me that I have a package on the way. True to their word.......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 20, 2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Jo6pak

More raving about Primary Arms.....

I just recieved a M3 style red dot, with mount and covers from PA.

I Emailed them last Wednesday to ask about mount heights that were available. Brett, returned my Email in just a few hours and had all the answers I needed. I ordered the optic later that day, and it already arrived today.

I just mounted it on the DR200 and his suggested mount is perfect.
Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend and give it a test.