The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
firend

thermal imaging

ok, so I did not know on this forum that there are certain scenarios that cannot be brought up, I will respect that and not go there again

I still want to know what you all think about hiding from thermal imaging? I originally put this thread in another category, but since I am new here this category seems maybe better.

Anyway, Anyone can go buy one if you have the money, so what if a bad guy wants to use it on you. I don't think it is a dumb question at all, so please don't criticize me for asking it. Bad guys use all sorts of tools to win, so why not this?

So far I have heard mylar works, thermal blankets, and glass. Also I have heard there is a maker of a ghilli ghost suit or something like that.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
firend

oh ya, I have also heard pine trees give off a similar heat signature as humans. So who here knows what is true on all this, and what works?
Old July 28, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3
stargazer65

Thermal Imagers

I used them in the Navy for damage control (firefighting). They are pretty expensive so I don't expect the average thug to have one. However, anything that is a good insulator is the best way to mask a heat signature. I'd recommend carrying around one of those reflective survival blankets you can keep in your pocket. You can find them with the other camping supplies. They are silver so they'll match your tin foil beanie.
Old July 28, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Come and take it.

I am a bit aloof to how they work but I would think the aim would be to make your heat signature as close as possible to duplicate the heat signature of the surrounding vegetation or cover.

If you insulated yourself too well you might show up as a cooler spot than the surrounding terrain and be visible as well, though not as easy to spot.

Thermal imaging can spot an area where fertilizer has been spread to cultivate marijuana plants in a remote location. It would be very hard to fool a skilled observer who knows how to use a thermal imager I think.

Distance and solid cover is your best ally.
Old July 28, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Housezealot

Quote:
They are silver so they'll match your tin foil beanie.
Oh thank you for that! I always can do with a good laugh
Old July 28, 2009, 04:11 PM   #6
THEZACHARIAS

Most modern military unifroms are designed to reduce IR, so long as they arent washed in bleach or any detergent with brighteners/lighteners/etc etc. Air Force ABUs, Army ACUs and that new get up the navy is testing. not sure about the marine uniforms.
Old July 28, 2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Composer_1777

Mythbusters had an episode about fooling thermal imaging. Clothes do not work because your body heat warms up the clothing, same for mud or anything that goes on your body.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:33 PM   #8
ava8harrierusmc1

thermal imaging

Ok guys first of all if you have $10,000.00 laying around go for it buy one but don't let law enforcement or your best friend know about it. Next the military use to make BDU's with the checked pattern back in the late 80's early 90's to go over you uniform at night. I haven't heard if they stopped using them. Now as far as the blanket that saids ok but i'd think about that. But don't get me wrong you may want to contact the maker or someone whom knows about them to answer that qoute about the silver blanket, try it if you can find a place that will let you test one and get back to i would enjoy knowing the out come.

SEMPER FI
ava8harrierusmc1
Old September 8, 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Doyle

If you want to see a really good demonstration of Thermal imaging, go to Youtube and search for Thermal Hog Hunting. It is done by a member of another forum I'm on as pest control for farmers.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:25 PM   #10
cb18bek

If you have a criminal after you with thermal imaging technology, I think you have more problems then masking your body heat...
Old September 18, 2009, 11:22 PM   #11
rbb50

Go try a thermal image device in the dark then have someone turn on a million candle power Q-beam pointed right at you and tell me how that thing works then
Old September 18, 2009, 11:49 PM   #12

I am a firefighter and we have termal imaging "cameras" on every truck. We have an SOP that the Captain assigned to fire attack HAS to carry it.
I was also took part (one day) of the tests when we were evaluating which one to buy. This is the one we carry (I think, if it isn't this one, it is one like it from the same company) http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/Ame.../eagle160.aspx

It isn't hard to hide from a thermal imager. If you get behind something like a piece of furnature you won't be seen until the guy with the "camera" walks around to the other side of it. Glass and mirrors are definitely things that don't work well with thermal imagers.
When you are looking at the screen, hotter objects show up as white, everything else is darker. Now I suppose if you were in the woods or out in a field, it would be a lot easier to see you than if you were in a house that was on fire. I also don't know how the military and law enforcement equipment differs from ours.
It is really amazing technology. You can walk into a room that you can't see your hand in front of your face and you could probably play cards in there.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 22, 2009, 03:11 AM   #13
hub

While reading this thread about hiding from the bad guys with thermal imaging I just can't quit picturing this airport flir video in my head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZkp...eature=related