The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2002, 04:19 AM   #1
illuminatus99

Re-loading

I'd like to start loading my own 7.62X39, what tools do I need to get just to start out?
Old February 15, 2002, 06:28 AM   #2
Long Path

A set of dies in that caliber, a press (preferably progressive, though there's nothing wrong with single-stage.), an accurate scale with check-weights, a good reloading manual (from the better bullet companies and powder companies), a case mouth chamfer tool, case lube, an inertial bullet puller, and a bench.

A set of veneer calipers turns out to be almost indispensible, too.

Then you need primers, bullets, powder, and boxer (read: non-Berdan)-primed cases.

And finally, you'll need to hang out at The Firing Line's own Handloading and Reloading Forum, which is where I'm moving this thread to.

Good luck!

Folks, what have I missed that he needs? (and yes, I think EVERY reloader needs an inertial bullet puller! )

--L.P.
Old February 15, 2002, 10:04 AM   #3
dick w. holliday

that's one of those rounds that can definitely be bought cheaper than loading it.......but i'm like you --when i had an AR in that caliber i loaded some of mine...........Dick
Old February 15, 2002, 10:13 AM   #4
Steve Smith

Honesty time...what are you loading this for? Chances are that its for an AK or SKS? If so, surplus will be cheaper and just fine. You won't see enough accuracy improvement to justify the reloading.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old February 16, 2002, 12:28 AM   #5
Archie

Illuminatus.... The Very First Thing

is a loading manual. Or two. Maybe three.

Read all the preambles first and then start buying hardware.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 18, 2002, 08:03 PM   #6
LONGRIFLE30

Might I suggest the Lee Aniversary Kit, with the dies, and Lee Load manual. I started this way years ago and have had no regrets. You will also need the Lee trimmer and loack stud. Except for primers, powder and bullets, this will be all you need and can get it for way under $150 from F&M Reloading or Widener's. I load for my SKS, and amazingly I do see a great increase in accuracy over the Chineese or Russian "junk ammo" and even the UMC stuff. As a complete waste of time, I loaded a batch of them with Hornady 123 grain bullets and hand-weighed each charge. With a csope from a bench, these loads will do under 1.5 MOA all day long, so long as I let the barrel cool. Your results may vary, but I know you will see a difference if you do it right. If you have any reloading questions, feel free to email them to me. Good Luck
Old February 18, 2002, 08:23 PM   #7
ryucasta

All you really need is money