The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 11, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Scottish Highlander

Muzzle brake question

Hi everyone, quick easy question really. Is a muzzle break looked at as seriously as a suppressor

Or is it just a simple add on to and existing firearm....There quite costly too for what you get. Are they worth even bothering with. Id like to take the suppressor off my 308 for some certain aspects when I'm shooting and either fit a muzzle break or just a cap that screws on the end to cover over the ugly thread that's there.

Jamie
Old May 12, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Lark

I would only attach a brake if it was needed for recoil reduction. Gases vented to the side make the firearm seem louder to the observers to the side of the shooter.

In the USA a brake is nothing like a silencer (suppressor). I would just use a thread protector.

Last edited by Lark; May 13, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:13 AM   #3
eodinert

A muzzle brake (b-r-a-k-e) is just another option to screw onto the end of your barrel. They are noisy, and can be annoying, but there are no legal implications to having one in a free state.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:03 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Generally all shooting ranges require hearing protection. So having a muzzle brake on a rifle becomes non issue.

And shooting without hearing protection is not a good way to shoot.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Skans

I'd bet that someone could make a "muzzle brake" that looks just like the inside of a silencer. Without the outer tube, there would be no noise reduction, so it might be legal. Or, it might not be. Just wondering when someone will push the limits of what is/is not a muzzle brake.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Scottish Highlander

Thanks for replys, Lark I think I will just fit a thread protector. It sounds like it would be the wise option for pocket and rifle
Old May 15, 2013, 08:58 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

A silencer (suppressor) is not legally defined by appearance but by the fact that it reduces the sound level. A brake is not a suppressor, or vice versa, but a device that does both would legally be a suppressor, not a brake.

Jim
Old May 16, 2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Scorch

It seems like the OP may be confusing flash suppressor/muzzle brakes with sound suppressors/silencers. Many folks just say brake or suppressor, and it is hard to know what they are referring to unless you are following the conversation closely.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Skans

Quote:
A silencer (suppressor) is not legally defined by appearance but by the fact that it reduces the sound level. A brake is not a suppressor, or vice versa, but a device that does both would legally be a suppressor, not a brake.
Yeah, but then you get into the matter of silencer parts. If I make a flash suppressor/muzzle brake that is a 6" long version of some of the breaks that direct the noise/gas out and to the rear (something like this but a little wider and 6" long: http://www.ebay.com/itm/M44-Muzzle-B...tem231417f964; and then thread the end of the brake, would that be a silencer part or a muzzle brake? By itself, it does nothing to reduce sound. Screw a can on it and it, or just wrap it in some insulation and it could reduce sound.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:36 AM   #10
kraigwy

As mentioned, muzzle brakes ARE NOT a controlled accessory, there are no hoops to go through to buy, install or use.

As too their usefulness and do they work. I have a few and I'd say yes, they are useful and they do work.

I started out putting one on my 300 WM 1000 yard rifle. It reduces the recoil quite a bit, allowing my to enjoy my shooting a lot more. Also, and more important they reduce muzzle whip allowing for faster follow up shoots and allow you to better observe your hits or misses at distance.

After the results I put one on my 375 H&H, which makes it a pleasure to shoot. I have a mold where I can shoot jacketed/cast bullets meaning I can shoot my 375 fairly cheap, only paying for primers and powder. I can shoot more, get more practice which makes me shoot it better. Without the brake my shooting would be limited because I'm a wimp when it comes to recoil.

I shoot for fun, not to bet beat up by my rifles, and again, quick follow up shots. Kind of handy after spending hard funds for an elk hunt. It could mean a down elk or following an blood trail all night.

I'm putting one on a light weight 308 I built for my grandson, meaning he can use hunting loads instead of light Trail Boss loads, he can learn to shoot instead of learning to flinch.

Yeah they make noise, more so then without, but I don't shoot, and wont let any one else shoot on my range without proper ear protection.

Also I don't shoot on a crowded range so I don't disturb anyone else.

Before one condemns brakes, I'd like to see them try them.

If anyone is close to Newcastle Wyoming, give me a shout, I'll take you to the range and you can shoot my rifles with and without a brake and see for yourself.

This isn't an advertisement for muzzle brakes, I don't sell them, I don't make them and I don't install them on anyone's rifle but my own.

I just want my fellow shooters to enjoy their shooting more, and I believe brakes will allow that.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 17, 2013, 10:11 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

Re: Muzzle brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
I'd bet that someone could make a "muzzle brake" that looks just like the inside of a silencer. Without the outer tube, there would be no noise reduction, so it might be legal. Or, it might not be. Just wondering when someone will push the limits of what is/is not a muzzle brake.
Look up the Sig Sauer MPX..
Old May 17, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Anyone can "push the limits" of legality provided that he doesn't mind stainless steel toilets and very thin mattresses. The bars are a bit inhibiting, though.

Jim
Old May 17, 2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Skans

Quote:
Look up the Sig Sauer MPX..
Yikes! I was just fooling around - didn't know someone already thought of this. I guess it's legal, then.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Scottish Highlander

Well kraigwy your post is pretty interesting really. I'm totally torn now

A muzzle brake would give the rifle a cool look to which is what I was looking for plus the added benefit of it's purpose. I've never seen one on a rifle before far less fired one. Long run I was hoping for the muzzle break and a new black synthetic stock to try and achieve the Tactical look to the rifle.

I've looked at a few different muzzle breaks and there shape varies quite considerably....isn't there a standard shape that does the job or are they all up to the task...??
I'd think there would be some out there that are just not practical and you might get some useless artifact if your not sure what your looking at ??

What about these ??

http://shop.grizzlygunworks.com/Tikk...m1plqscsfapp06

Jamie

Last edited by Scottish Highlander; May 17, 2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: adding link
Old May 23, 2013, 05:54 PM   #15
WWWJD

Jamie, they absolutely work. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523434

I've been to the range three times with mine installed so far, its pretty sweet having a near recoil-less rifle. The grizzly looks like most others; I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old May 25, 2013, 02:42 PM   #16
rjrivero

If you're going to add a suppressor anyway, consider a muzzle brake that is used for a suppressor mount.

For instance, the Ops Inc 12th model 30 cal suppressor mounts on an Ops Inc Muzzle Brake.

Surefire also has muzzle devices that mount their suppressors.

Just a thought.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:59 PM   #17
3.Shot.Group.

I've never understood the usefulness(from a military perspective) of a muzzle break. I mean a 3 foot muzzle flash will draw just as much fire as a 10 foot muzzle flash; Right?

Oh hey this is cool, they gave me the option to decide whether or not I want to reply to a thread that's more than 33 days old.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:42 PM   #18
JD0x0

Quote:
I've never understood the usefulness(from a military perspective) of a muzzle break. I mean a 3 foot muzzle flash will draw just as much fire as a 10 foot muzzle flash; Right?
I think you've got your devices confused. A muzzle break or "compensator" is meant to reduce recoil, sound tends to be increased. And reducing recoil can be VERY useful as you can imagine, especially with big recoiling cartridges like the .50 BMG.

A FLASH SUPRESSOR is what reduces that visible flash you are talking about. Also they seem to be more effective than you imply but still less effective than a sound suppressor which eliminates muzzle flash and reduces muzzle report significantly, while also reducing recoil. I also believe one of the reasons for having flash suppressors on military weapons is to protect the crown from damage, which it does quite well.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:46 PM   #19
allaroundhunter

Re: Muzzle brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.Shot.Group. View Post

Oh hey this is cool, they gave me the option to decide whether or not I want to reply to a thread that's more than 33 days old.
Muzzle brakes are not commonly used in the military except for high caliber, shoulder fired weapons such as the .50 BMG and .338 Lapua sniper rifles. They do a great job of taming recoil, and it is needed on those weapons. Common muzzle devices for lighter recoiling small arms is a simple flash suppressor.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:33 AM   #20
3.Shot.Group.

Quote:
A FLASH SUPRESSOR is what reduces that visible flash you are talking about. Also they seem to be more effective than you imply but still less effective than a sound suppressor which eliminates muzzle flash and reduces muzzle report significantly, while also reducing recoil. I also believe one of the reasons for having flash suppressors on military weapons is to protect the crown from damage, which it does quite well.
I recall my armor(decades ago) saying the only good thing about the flash suppressors on our A1's was that they protected the crown.

The device on the .50 cal Barret both suppresses the flash and reduces recoil; Doesn't it?
Old June 27, 2013, 12:06 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

It's brake, darn it! It slows the recoil like the brake on a car slows the car. It doesn't break the rifle!!!

Jim
Old June 27, 2013, 03:16 PM   #22
Liberty Suppressors

Anything that reduces the sound by 3 dB or more is considered a suppressor and must be registered.
Old June 27, 2013, 04:36 PM   #23
amd6547

One of the most commonly used brakes is the Russian Ak 74.
When I built my Saiga 74, I put one on just to complete the look. I went with a real Bulgarian "zig-zag" 74 brake, not the cheap Tapco version, which is said to be worthless
However, even though the 5.45 has little recoil to begin with, I have been amazed at how effective this brake is.
When I shoot the rifle even moderately quickly, I can feel the muzzle being held down...and the recoil is nonexistent.

Last edited by amd6547; June 27, 2013 at 04:59 PM.