The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 3, 2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Gbro

Patch Knife Question

I was looking at a shooting friends accessories and his patch knife has a feature on it that he couldn't explain. The 1st pic is of the knife on the table and then a close up of the questioned feature. he said he has seen this feature on several trade knifes and is unsure of its use.

The 3rd pic is of his stout loading tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-02-08_2001.jpg (27.9 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg 08-02-08_2002.jpg (22.6 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg 08-02-08_2009.jpg (35.2 KB, 422 views)
Old August 3, 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
mike6975

jesus christ it's a bp pistol not an elephant gun!,still nice work should be able to be passed on down generation to generation to generation to.................aw hell you get the picture.

mike

"never trust somethin that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die"
Old August 3, 2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Raider2000

That is a knife that Track of the Wolf sells, similar to this English Trade Knife with Piercing I don't think that is has any real purpose but they call it a piercing.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Smokin_Gun

The only thing I'd guess it would be for is when you twist the pillow tickin' patch from the length hangin' from possibles bag strap it slides over the twist and cuts it...purely a guess and a reachin' guess at best.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 3, 2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Hawg

I don't think it serves any purpose but go here and ask these guys, about all they deal with is traditional muzzleloaders and accessories. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu.../fusionbb.php?
Old August 3, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6
FL-Flinter

I've seen these on reproduction patch knives, I've never seen an original with that cut on it - not saying there is not one somewhere but I have not seen one. Originals do have vee and U shape cuts for decoration/personal identification but aside from this I don't feel there was any mechanical purpose for them.
Old August 3, 2008, 01:02 PM   #7
armedandsafe

In 1946, my maternal grandfather told me that was a sprue cutter. Now you know all of what I know about the subject.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old August 3, 2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The notch is purely decorative. This "patch" knife is a modern India/Pakistan knife.
There were no original "patch knives." They used whatever knife they had.
"Patch knives" are a modern idea. Never let someone sell you an "original" patch knife!
Old August 3, 2008, 06:44 PM   #9
FL-Flinter

Bill is right, technically there were no original "patch knives" only because they were not called a "patch knife" but rather a:
"Bag knife" - meaning any small knife carried in or on a possibles bag. Most had a sheath sewn to the back of the bag, but some on the side or front.
"Pouch knife" - same as bag knife.
"Poke blade" - same as bag knife with "poke" being another name for "bag".
"Strap knife" - only difference here is that the sheath was sewn to the front strap of the bag, pouch or poke.

There was no set style for this type of knife, they were generally any knife with a blade shorter than 6" and most commonly 3" to 5" and single edge. "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" contains sever dozen pictures of original bags showing attached sheaths for small knives. The small knives were not used solely for cutting patches, they were used anytime the larger hunting knife would be impractical.
Old August 3, 2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Gbro

Thanks for the info,
Piercing, I am not into piercings
I will try the muzzleloading forum just for S-G.

I do like the feel of his loader. Its just right, especially if the alloy is off a smidgen.