The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1
jimpeel

Decades old egg fight conviction causes rewrite of state law

This guy, named James Gorham, got into an egg fight in 1971, got arrested, paid a $10 fine, and that was that ... until January of this year.

Over the decades he has owned numerous firearms, is an avid target shooter, and has had his handgun permits renewed on numerous occasions. It was when he tried to purchase a new handgun in December of 2012 that his trolley went off the tracks.

In January he got a letter from the state police that he had been disqualified from handgun ownership, his permit was revoked, and he was to turn in all handguns in his possessions forthwith. This he did (don't get me started on that one ...).

The key sentence in this story? "They told me I had been involved in domestic violence and I told them, `You've got the wrong person.' "

Domestic violence? It was an egg fight between himself, a friend, and a teen who was a stranger. How does that qualify as "domestic?"

This news fell on the ears of his legislator; and he added an amendment to the new law that would exempt people like this man from further confiscations.

Don't you just love sanity when it strikes?

SOURCE

Quote:
But his plight caught the attention of House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, who successfully introduced a change in gun legislation that will allow people like Gorham, with lower-level misdemeanors adjudicated before 1994 that do not involve drugs or firearms, to hold onto their guns.
So for those of you who see nothing wrong with the Lautenberg Amendment you need to remember that every law will be taken to its farthest and wildest extremes. This is but a single example.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey