The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 26, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1
alizeefan

chamber check during type 3 malfunction

What do you guys think about locking the slide back after the three racks portion of this clearance drill ( probably on the third rack ) in order to LOOK that the chamber is definately clear before inserting a new mag. I don't think it would be too fine a motor skill given we lock slide to initially remove magazine. I guess the distances at which pistol fights usually take place make it a moot point but there may be the odd exception to the rule.
Old November 26, 2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Don P

?

What is a type 3 malfunction?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 27, 2007, 02:28 AM   #3
GLP Standard

^I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was just slow on the lingo...

Anyway, the only malfunctions that I ever practiced are a non-catastrophic failure, and a catastrophic failure. In a non-catastrophic failure, it just consists of a failure to feed, where the magazine is not locked into place (as if you hit the magazine release). To clear it, its a simple "Tap, Rack, Ready".

As for the catastrophic failure, called so because your weapon stops functioning completely when so happens, it is caused by a failure to extract after firing a round, and a new round feeding behind the empty shell casing, lodging it into the chamber. The slide is now stuck halfway open, half way closed, the magazine will not release, and you cannot rack the slide to clear the round. In this failure drill, you use "Lock, Drop, Rack, Insert, Rack, Ready" or...
Lock the slide to the rear
Drop the magazine from the weapon
Rack the slide to clear any shell casing stuck in the chamebr
Insert a new magazine into the weapon
Rack the slide to chamber a new round
Ready to engage armed threats.

What other failures are there? These are the only two I ever learned. Perhaps the 2nd is a type 3 malfunction?
Old November 27, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

I wouldn't advise this for any type of malfunction as part of the SOP.... too much fine motor skill and too much time investment for something that would only be useful in an extremely unlikely event.