The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 27, 2016, 05:55 AM   #26
PatientWolf

I'd stay away from "cheap". She is far more likely to enjoy shooting a good quality firearm. It doesn't have to be expensive, but having a solid weapon with a good trigger pull and good sights that is accurate will greatly improve her experience. You were thinking of a .22, but was she? She may be interested in a .38 revolver, a 1911 or something else.

Like others, I'd recommend letting her visit the cornered cat website and actually trying several before SHE makes a selection. The best thing you could do would be to help facilitate her trying several and understanding the safeties, benefits and drawbacks of the different types and brands.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:27 PM   #27
rt11002003

I'd make sure she understands the difference between SAO and DAO. I like revolvers; my wife thinks she does. She has yet to fully grasp they have to be shot DAO, or manually cock the hammer to get the lighter pull of the SA. Since she doesn't like the heavy trigger of DA; and hates to pull the hammer back to cock the gun for the lighter pull of SA; I'm sure it will dawn on her at some point it's not that complicated to release a safety on a semi and shoot.

My LGS owner and I were talking this morning about .22lr pistols. I had just picked up a transferred S&W 422 in pristine condition which I had purchased via GB. And, he had sold me a NIB S&W Model 41 just received from his distributor. I'm considering selling my .45ACP pistols. He thought .22lr was ideal for target shooting; less expensive, less noise and less recoil.

I'm a Ruger .22lr fan, both Mark ii and Mark iii; plus the 10/22. My all around favorite round is 9mm.