The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 15, 2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Quote:
If I had thought for one second that I'd be a different person carrying a gun than I was before I started to carry one, I'd have never carried one.
Well, I didn't start carrying with the idea it would make me a different person; but it certainly has. For one, as I've become more aware of the responsibility involved, I have gone out and increased my skill - not just in firearms manipulation; but in things like conflict resolution (verbal judo).

Those increased skills have certainly made me calmer and less reactive in the one or two volatile situations I've found myself in since I started carrying. I also place a much higher priority on avoidance now than I would have in the past - especially after seeing how even a "good shoot" can turn your life upside down.
Old October 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #27
K_Mac

Quote:
If I had thought for one second that I'd be a different person carrying a gun than I was before I started to carry one, I'd have never carried one.
Quote:
Well, I didn't start carrying with the idea it would make me a different person; but it certainly has. For one, as I've become more aware of the responsibility involved, I have gone out and increased my skill - not just in firearms manipulation; but in things like conflict resolution (verbal judo).

Those increased skills have certainly made me calmer and less reactive in the one or two volatile situations I've found myself in since I started carrying. I also place a much higher priority on avoidance now than I would have in the past - especially after seeing how even a "good shoot" can turn your life upside down.
I could not agree more! I don't see being changed by the responsibility of carrying a concealed weapon as something to be denied or embarrassed by. I think we should be changed by it!
Old October 15, 2013, 11:42 PM   #28
Tejicano

I first carried over twenty years ago back before Arizona (where I was living) even had any legal recourse for CCW.

I was going through a real rough patch – divorce, company downsizing, career/industry change, impending long distance move – so I was often not in a good state of mind. I found that carrying forced me to be more level headed which was something I needed at the time. Admittedly, the fact that I was carrying illegally (FWIW – a misdemeanor back then) when I was carrying concealed probably made me even more careful than when I was open carrying.

In the past year I have found a way to get a CCW permit from where I am outside the US via mail. So I now have my permit and will be carrying concealed legally while back in the US next time.
Old October 16, 2013, 10:01 PM   #29
RBid

Life before CC vs. life after CC.

I'd like to say that nothing changed when I started to carry, but the facts wouldn't agree. I have always been a courteous, shepherd type of guy. I look out for people. Now, I make it a point to be the most positive person that people will interact with on any given day. I don't always succeed, but I always try. Before I carried, I was less concerned with what people thought of me. Now, I actually consider myself an undercover ambassador of sorts for the gun community. Why? Because stuff happens. Like this... I used to manage an LGS. I am now a manager in a different kind of retail environment. One of my old regulars came into my store today and obviously recognized me. Long story short, my team at work now knows I'm a gun guy.

So... Yeah. It is different for me. I am a better version of me.
Old October 27, 2013, 12:57 AM   #30
hillking2010

I've only been carrying for a little while, but I'm already noticing changes in myself. I got my CWP because I've always tried to be cautious and prepared and now I am even more cautious (and definitely more prepared!).

Now I find myself paying attention to what places have signs prohibiting concealed weapons and paying attention to people walking past me. I try to make sure that people don't bump into my strong side and I occaisionally check my clothing. You'll have to teach yourself to not draw attention to where your weapon is concealed through excessive looking, patting, etc. I typically have my fiancee periodically look to see if I'm printing or not, so having your wife help you is a great advantage! When I'm alone or standing up i just pull my shirt down, same way i would if i wasn't carrying.

As far as mindset goes, keep in mind that all of our fates are bound together. If somebody does something stupid with a firearm it affects all of us law-abiding folks. I never want to be that guy, so caution and discretion is of the utmost concern.

I hope this helps.
Old October 27, 2013, 10:17 PM   #31
motorhead0922

DNS and Glenn, thanks for the explanation about a polite society. I had misunderstood.

Groverdill and hillking, you are going to be the same person with or without your weapon. Yes, you'll be very aware that you are armed for a while, and drive a little differently for a while, but you will go back to being yourself eventually. And remember who you were: you've never committed a serious crime (or more likely, no crime at all) in your life. You're one of the good guys in our society, and your behavior doesn't need changing. You've passed society's test already.

If someone else's behavior needs correction, point that out, in a reasonable manner, like you have been doing. A toot on the horn is still gonna be needed once in a while.

And if someone gets bent out of shape, you can let it go, and just say to yourself, "okay, I let that guy live" when it's over.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old October 27, 2013, 10:27 PM   #32
LockedBreech

Life before CC vs. life after CC.

It didn't really change me. I only carry about 50% of the time, just a pocket .380, and I was never confrontational in the first place.