The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1
simmonds

Norinco '97 or Remington 1187?

Hi guys, just wanting a little advice here. I currently own a Remington 1187 and it is a nice little auto shotgun. It has had lots of shells run through her and still operates like new. I came across this shotgun several years ago at a garage sale for a good deal and couldnt resist. A auto shotgun has never been on my want list but I have always wanted a pump and I have recently been considering trading my Rem 1187 for a pump shotgun like a Winchester or Norinco 97 "trench gun" or other pump shotgun.

Being a "money challenged" shooter like myself, it is hard to just run out and buy a gun when I get the itch for one and I usually have to barder or trade to make it happen.

I am getting interested in CAS and the Norchester 97 might fit the bill for some cowboy fun although I have never shot or owned one, so any pointers on this particular gun would be appreciated as well.

Would a swap for the auto rem to a pump 97 be a stupid move on my part? Is the Remington worth more and a better shotgun all around?

thanks for any input on this guys.

Chris
Old April 11, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2
AllenJ

Quote:
Would a swap for the auto rem to a pump 97 be a stupid move on my part? Is the Remington worth more and a better shotgun all around?
Not knowing the condition of your 11-87 makes this a guess but if your gun is in good condition you might expect a little more than just a new Norinco 97 in the trade. I see used 11-87's going in the $400-$550 range in my part of the country. Poorly condition 11-87" are going for $350 and lower.
Old April 12, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Hawg

The Norinco's are good guns for the most part. The early ones with cheap wood had some problems but the later ones with walnut stocks are really nice. The trench guns are the best but you can't use them in CAS.