The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 6, 2011, 12:46 PM   #1
ripnbst

Raytheon Elcan Optics

Has anyone ever tried or heard of Elcan Optics? They are made by Raytheon and are more of the "tactical" AR variety optics but they seem like they have nice useful features and in 2011 they won NRA "Optic of the year" award. All of this and I haven't heard much about them, possibly because they seem more expensive than the EOTECH, more on the ACOG level of pricing but you still hear quite a bit about the ACOG.

The two features that stood out as interesting to me were "goes from 1x to 4x magnification at the flick of a switch, no knob turning required" so it could be done very quickly and also the "ability to swap quickly between an illuminated crosshair or an illuminated red dot".

This is taken from Elcan's website...but:

"The One and Only Dual Field-of-View Combat Optical Sight

The SpecterDR™ rifle sight, designed to meet the requirements of the USSOCOM for elite SpecOps missions, is the one and only truly dual field-of-view combat sight. The SpecterDR™ 1-4x combat optical sight switches instantly from close combat 1x to telescopic 4x at the throw of a lever.

Unlike zoom sights, the SpecterDR™ rifle sight offers an optimized optical path and identical eye relief in both 4x and 1x modes.

Depending upon the situation, the user may adjust the sight to illuminate the entire crosshair or just a brilliant red dot in the center.

In 4x mode the SpecterDR™ rifle sight offers a generous field of view, long eye relief, and ELCAN’s legendary crystal clear image. In CQB mode, the SpecterDR™ sight has by far the largest field of view in the industry.

The 4x and CQB Reticles are plainly visible even in the case of loss of electrical power due to battery failure or EMP.

Available for Tactical and Sport Shooting Applications

The SpecterDR™ dual role combat sight combines the traditional benefits of a red dot sight together with those of a magnified telescopic sight, providing a wide field-of-view in 1x mode as well as target identification and accuracy at range in 4x mode.

The SpecterDR™ rifle sight offers optimum situational awareness in both magnifications due to generous eye relief and unmatched viewing in low light conditions.

Available in the United States through Armament Technology (www.armament.com) and their network of resellers, SpecterDR™ dual role combat sight offers a new tool for both tactical law enforcement and sport shooting enthusiasts."

I am in no way affiliated with this product, any seller of it, or Raytheon/Elcan Optics. Just seemed pretty cool to never have heard of them. Here is their website.
Old September 6, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
sailskidrive

Interesting...

Raytheon had alot of year end cash last year and bought up numerous small companies. I'm sure this is their answer to L3 owning EOTech.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old September 6, 2011, 07:10 PM   #3
bofe954

I think the pricing is more in the $1500-$2500 range. I always think of ACOGs as more like $750-$1250.

Not saying they couldn't be worth it, but that's why you aren't seeing a bunch around.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:34 AM   #4
wogpotter

ELCAN is E. Leitz, Canada. E. Leitz was/is the maker of the Leica camera line.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 7, 2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Jo6pak

An area gun shop had a Spetre DR the lat time I was up there. Very cool optic, seemed to be built like a tank, was indeed quick to switch magnifications. The prive as I recall was around $1900, which in my opinion is too spendy for any optic, no matter what it can do.

Now, If I fell into a pit full of gold bullion tomorrow, that opinion is likely to change
Old September 8, 2011, 09:21 AM   #6
ddalrymple

ELCAN sighting sytems

Hi Gents,

I'm the Marketing Manager for Raytheon ELCAN. I saw your thread and thought I would jump in on a few points.

My congrats to the gentleman who knew we are the former Leitz company that developed the 35mm camera. ELCAN is Ernst Leitz CANADA, located north of Toronto. Founded here in the early 50s, the company produces some of the world's most advanced and demanding optics. As far as "Raytheon making ELCAN products".. it is more the other way around, with ELCAN producing most of the key optical systems for our parent company and many other defence companies. ELCAN is considered a critical foreign dependancy by the US State Dept because of the supply partnership between Canada and the USA.

Back in 1990, the Canadian Army decided to put a telescopic sight on every soldier's rifle. ELCAN was selected to create that scope. These were engineers who designed the worlds best camera ( Leica) so they applied that level of skill to the C79 sight. Brilliant, rugged and having unique features that were specific to combat soldiers. Armies around the world have adopted ELCAN sights and we only sell to governments or to our Master Distributor, Armament Technologies.

The SpecterDR was the result of changing from desert (open field) combat to urban combat. Soldiers needed to engage in fast/near CQB, but then also be able to ID targets and shoot accurately out to 500m-600m with ballistic compensation. No one scope could provide this dual capability. A "zoom" optic is OK for snipers who have lots of time and experience, but an infantry soldier getting shot at, has no time to change his sight from a 1x red dot to a 4x ACOG.

A brilliant designer came up with the design that allowed the optics to "tumble" instantly from 1 x (22 degree FOV) to 4X (8 degrees). THe challenges to do this with repeatable accuracy was NOT simple. It is now a patented system by ELCAN. It is the "one and only" sight for CQB and ranged precision fire. It uses the world's best materials, best optical coatings, and there is nothing like it. As for price, it is the same as any other high end premium scope. THe US Special Forces love it and use it 3:1 over other sights ( and Seal Team Six gets to use ANYTHING they want).

As for rugged? I have one here on my office shelf that took a sniper round and kept on working for that soldier. He wrote us to say how it saved the life of himself and his unit that day.

Anyway, there is some background and I'm glad that our products have popped up on your radar. Good shooting.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:05 PM   #7
wogpotter

Thanks for the compliment! With 45+ years in the optics business it was kind of a "gimmee"

I have one of the earlier cooperative optics from Leitz/Zeiss, a Hensoldt 4X Fero Z-24. It is simply the best scope I've ever owned, both optically & mechanically.

If you've never worked a good German made scope do try one, you'll not be sorry. There really is a difference above the better U.S. made commercial scopes, that's why they cost more!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 8, 2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
and Seal Team Six gets to use ANYTHING they want
I guess so since they don't exist, LOL! They were disbanded nearly a quarter century ago. I take it you mean one of the other SEAL teams or DEVGRU?

Cool sight. Awfully expensive, but very cool.
Old September 12, 2011, 05:33 PM   #9
alloy

Watched a PBS TV documentary last week(POV~Armadillo) about a group of soldiers from Denmark shipping into Afghanistan, and time spent there in combat etc. They seemed to all(or at least several) be using this SpectorOS, I may have been mistaken but the profile is fairly distinctive.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2110038842
Old September 13, 2011, 04:27 AM   #10
ghost556

they're not very well liked by many who get issued them
Old September 17, 2011, 04:34 PM   #11
ripnbst

Do you know why specifically they don't like them?