The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 9, 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Hafoc

CZ 527 trigger

Here's the benefit of my ignorance.

I've read that the 527 has a great trigger and that it has a terrible trigger. Mine was both.

The 527 has a single-set trigger. You can pull it straight back like a normal trigger. Or you can push it forward first, until it clicks. Then a very light touch will set it off.

As it came from the factory, the trigger was fine when set, but had a lot of take-up unset. It also had several gritty catches along the way.

The trigger is adjustable for weight, pre-travel, and post-travel. You have to take the barreled action out of the stock to get at the adjustment screws (except the one for set trigger weight. Although the set trigger might be a bit lighter, I've never had one before, so I'll use it as it is for a while at least).

I was wondering about sending the rifle to a smith. But it occurred to me that I could eliminate the gritty creepy take-up by simply eliminating the take-up altogether, sidestepping the whole problem.

So that's what I did. The take-up screw is the easiest of the three to adjust. I dialed it down to the point where I felt no take-up at all. Now the trigger is just great, both set and unset.

Dead simple, even for an idiot like me. Just take out the screws in front of and behind the trigger guard/detachable magazine's surround piece. The only complication was that the magazine release spring came out with the action and then fell out when I turned the action over. If you do this you might want to take a look at how it fits in before this happens to you. No problem putting it back, though. The parts drawing in the manual shows how it goes, pretty clearly. And it's possible to test it to make sure it works before you put the two screws back in.

That's all. Submitted as a Level Zero gunsmithing task, and a sidelight to whether the CZ has a good trigger or not.

Now I just have to figure why it came from the factory adjusted to have so much take-up. Was it just poor adjustment, or is a long take-up another European preference? No idea.
Old September 9, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
chris in va

Honestly I never bothered to mess with the trigger on mine. I bought it used and the pull must be about 3-4# with the set trigger at 1/2#...basically breathe on it.

Either way, very nice.
Old September 10, 2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Martyn4802

I had the same problem with my 527 trigger. The trigger, when set, was fine, but it was bad in the unset mode. It had a lot of creep and the pull was heavy. I tore the unset part of the trigger apart and installed a lighter spring and polished mating parts to smooth up the pull. It's fine now, with a smooth pull and it breaks at about 18 ounces, which is what I wanted as the rifle is chambered in 222 Rem.
In the set mode, the trigger breaks at 13 ounces.

Martyn