The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2002, 10:01 AM   #1
geo57

anyone use the sierra 210 jhc in their 44 mag?

im just in the process of working up a deer load for my 44 redhawk using sierra's 210 gr. jhc and BLUE DOT. do any of you use this combo?..if so, i;d enjoy hearing your recipe and velocity results..thanks
Old October 13, 2002, 06:12 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

SINCE YOU'RE ALL ALONE.................

The 210g might be a bit light, and may not offer adequate penetration.
Blue Dot may have too fast a burn rate for optimum performance.

Might consider W296 (or 2400, H110, N110, AA9...) and a 300g XTP-HP or 255g-and-up cast bullet.............

www.castperformance.com
www.beartoothbullets.com
www.pennbullets.com

or

look up Dry Creek Bullets; check out the superb Keith-style projectiles.
Old October 15, 2002, 09:35 AM   #3
Rmouleart

I agree with WESHOOT2, I like the Hornadys hp XTP's 240gr or the Speer's gold dots 240gr using WW296 at 24gr using CCI Mag Primers, also H110 is interchangeable as well, The Golddots are hard to get they are always backordered due to being a great bullet. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:44 AM   #4
Turk

If you want a Jacketed Bullet the Sierra 210 will blow through a whitetail. About 10 years ago I tested loads for the 44 Magnum with the following handguns. Mag-Na-Port Stalker, DW 44, Ruger Red Hawk. Without exception the 240gr. Sierra gave me the best accuracy, MV etc. I was using Win. 296 and H-110. My loads were slightly top end but use current reloading manuals data and this combo will take deer. The 180, and 210 gr. Sierra’s didn’t give as good as accuracy but would be sufficient for a Whitetail. I know guys that use 357 Mag. and the bullet passes through the deer quite a bit of the time.

Concerning the cast bullets. They’re great especially in the heavy weights and gas checked you can push them faster less friction (bearing surface). I strive for a hole in and a hole out when hunting and the cast is superior in that catagory. I use cast (I’m a caster) for Whitetail but won’t hesitate to use the Sierra. My favorite whitetail gun is a Smith 57, 41 Mag. Shooting a 210gr. Keith type bullet.

This November I’ll be hunting elk with a 9.3x63mm rifle but if I get the opportunity to take one close in (50 yards) I’ll do it with my S&W 629 Classic 5” barrel shooting 310 gr. Keith type with GC fuelling it with H-110. I’m looking for a bone crusher type bullet. The LBT type cast bullets are another good selection.

Check out this web site for loading data a lot of good data.

www.sixguns.com

Have a good and safe hunt.

Turk
Old October 15, 2002, 12:42 PM   #5
keano44

Although I normally hunt with a 240 gr. Hornady HP/XTP bullet, I have found the Sierra 210 gr. JHC to be very accurate in my Ruger SBH, and would not hesitate to use it for hunting deer. I am using a healthy dose of AA#9. Since I'm not at home where my records are, and am not positive of the charge, I won't guess at it.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old October 16, 2002, 09:07 AM   #6
geo57

i appreciate the feedback. as turk pointed out as well..i too have used 180 gr. jhp's successfully on whitetails in the past, acheiving total penetration, paying attention to keeping velocities moderate to avoid bullet failure. for me, my 180 gr. handloads seemed to stop deer faster than the 240's. my goal in going to the 210 was in search of an accuracy increase. the load of blue dot i settled on pushes the 210 from my redhawk at 41 magnum speeds and in practice sessions it looks like it will give me the added accuracy im seeking considering the distance limitations i restrict myself to when handgun hunting. we;ll see what happens in november. good luck to you fellow freezer fillers.
Old October 16, 2002, 09:29 AM   #7
bkb

I just loaded a bunch of 210gr Sierra JHC with H110 . Started medium and worked up to 28gr in S&W 629 Classic using the LOAD MAP from Midway. I'll chrono them this weekend and let you know .