The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 13, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
bustersmaster

Mossberg AR style 22lr

I heard a lot of reports on these, both good and bad, but decided to try my luck on one. WalMart has been getting them in lately with the 25 rd. mags and priced a couple dollars less than the 10 rd. models they used to get.
Realizing I was buying a rifle that costs about the same as 3 bricks of the ammo it shoots, at today's prices, I knew I was taking my chances.

Taking it out of the box, I see it says to disassemble and clean it first, so proceeded to wade through lots of poorly illustrated instructions, a few of which were not apparently specific to the model in question. It wasn't too nasty inside, so cleanup was easy enough and I sprayed it lightly with a little Hoppes and managed to find all the little microscopic screws and such that holds it together.

My 1st and 2nd trips to my backyard range yielded lots of stove-pipe jams. Closer examination pointed to the 25 rd. mag as the culprit. I couldn't get more than 10 or 12 rds. to go in that mag, in spite of the loading tool that came with it. It wasn't that the mag spring was tight, I was surprised how weak it was. The problem was the 25 rounder is actually a 10 round mag with an extension on it. The 10 rd. portion is not exactly lined up with the extender and the follower binds up trying to make the transition from the top section to the bottom one.
The rimmed 22lr ammo wants to stack up on the rims because the mag is pretty straight up and down, rather than the typical bananna shape found in some rifle mags. I was able to free up the follower with a little motor-cote oil and finally managed to get 24 rds. into that 25 rd. mag.
Tweaking the mag lips and a little filing and sandpaper work there, made a big improvement in the ratio of jamming versus firing.
My last "range" trip yielded even better results using standard pressure 22lr target ammo, rather than the more abundant hollow point stuff I have.
I managed to get off a string of shots with no failures, but ran out of daylight to give it a proper wringing-out.
I called Mossberg and they offered to send me a shipping label to ship it back for repairs. I passed on that for now, in favor of them sending me another mag, as I think that's the weak point in this gun.
On the plus side I like the looks of the gun and the way it eventually shot and while I didn't get to really zero it in on the targets yet, it seems to be very accurate and I really like the trigger.
I was afraid being a cheap gun, it would have a nasty trigger pull or something.
I'll post again when I get more trigger time in and especially when that new mag comes from Mossberg.
Anyone else have one of these? I would be interested in knowing if you experienced problems as well.
Old September 13, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Boomer58cal

Unfortunately your experiences is exactly why the Ruger 10/22 is so popular. The Ruger is cheap, easy to strip/clean, very reliable and has high capacity magazines that actually work.

Best of luck I hope you get it all straightened out.

I am glad to see Mossberg was willing to help though.

Boomer
Old September 13, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3
n5lyc

Cool, I have owned 2 of them the first I picked up used with a 25 and a 10 round mag.
It was the one with the long handguard and fixed carry handle.

Like you, I took out all the screws, and gave it a good cleaning.

The extended mag would give me a jam or 2, but after some tinkering, it started working.

The 10 round mag was flawless.
Also the rifle fed anything I put in it.

Someone offered me more than I had in it, so it found a new home.

The second one (I still own) I bought new and is the one with the short handguard, flash hider, and removable handle.

It is heads and shoulders above the other one in how tight the core rifle fit the shell, and general fit and finish.

Once you get the little bugs worked out(read that as run 2 or 3 bricks through it) it becomes a very reliable gun.

I am at about the 5000 round mark with no complaints.

I am not too happy with the clamshell design, but it is what it is, and it is half the price of its nearest competitor.

No, it is not the fit and ergonomic quality of the m&p 15-22, or the Chiappa, or Colt, but it is a fun gun to shoot, the 10 round mag fits flush with the "mag well", great for shooting off of a bench, (something the others don't do) and is reasonably accurate.

Once you find a ammo it likes (mine likes the CCI mini mags, or CCI ar-tactical ammo, I will put it up there accuracy wise with the marlin model 60.

Keep us posted.
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.
Old September 14, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
bustersmaster

Thanks for the info, n5lyc and the encouragement about things getting better with more ammo run through it.
I would especially be glad to see it take a liking to the hollow point ammo as my supply consists of very little target ammo and I'm not sure where to find any, short of the gun shows.
I do like the looks and ergonomics of it and think it's worth the messing around to get things right.
Wow, 5k rounds through yours, sounds great.
Old September 14, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
bustersmaster

I have been tempted a time or two with the 10-22, Boomer, but it seems to be on my long list. They do offer a lot of aftermarket goodies for them, don't they?
I figure with lots of practice, I can get the teardown and reassembly of the Mossberg down to an hour or so.
Old September 15, 2013, 12:15 AM   #6
n5lyc

I regularly use federal,bulk, and Winchester bulk, but the cci tactical runs the best of the bulk.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Rem308

715t

I picked up a 715t after looking at them for a while. I battled between spending more $$ on a different one or going with the Mossberg flat top. I ended up getting a real good deal on a trade and picking up the flat top w/ a Bushnell scope on it.
The first trip to the range (after a real good cleaning) was a good experience, but after about 50 rounds I did get a jam...and then a 2nd. I was running low on time, so I took it home and cleaned it again.
I went back to the range a few days later and this time dialed the scope in at 40 yards (my goal was to get dead on and take a few squirrels). The gun performed great at 40 yards and no jams.
I went out this Saturday and was 2 for 2 on squirrels.

I am very pleased and now I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $$ on another rifle --- I can save that money and use it elsewhere.
I agree, I'm not thrilled about the 'clamshell' design, but that is what it is...and for the fun factor and accuracy, I can deal with that.
Old September 16, 2013, 11:27 PM   #8
bustersmaster

Nice looking rifle, Rem. Good looking couple squirrels too. Mine is not the flat top. Probably not easy to use a scope on mine.
Do you use hollow points or target ammo?
Old September 17, 2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Rem308

I bought a good bit of CCI in both target and hollow points. I try to conserve the hollow points, so I mainly shoot the targets at the range...however, after getting the scope dialed in, I did switch and shot 15 hollow points through without problem. I then shot these 2 squirrels also with hollow points.

In some reviews people say that their 715t doesn't like hollow points, but I haven't found that. I believe the biggest thing is keeping it clean (at least mine). Those .22 rounds are dirty and the ramp that the ammo has to slide up gets build-up and needs cleaned.

Last edited by Rem308; September 17, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Threads like this remind me why I am so happy I bought a dedicated .22LR AR-15 upper rather than one of the plastic or potmetal AR replicas.
Old September 17, 2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Rem308

I am now a few hundred rounds through this rifle --- only a handful of which are the hollow points and am very pleased. Very affordable for me, has the comfortable feel, and I don't mind say I think it's fun to shoot.

My guess is that the previous owner didn't clean it as he should have when it was brand new, and therefore was never pleased with it. Can't wait to hit the woods again. If I don't get out before bow season starts, I will certainly be chasing some squirrels in late winter.
Old September 17, 2013, 10:50 PM   #12
k511

Is this the same thing as the 702 plinkster in a shell?
Old September 17, 2013, 11:08 PM   #13
bustersmaster

I think it is similar. My 715t came with a 702 plinkster owners manual and it seems to cover both guns.
Old September 25, 2013, 12:44 AM   #14
bustersmaster

Hey, my new replacement 25 rd. mag came today from Mossberg. 2 thumbs up for them. All I need now is time to try it out. I'll keep you posted.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Boomer58cal

Quote:
I have been tempted a time or two with the 10-22, Boomer, but it seems to be on my long list. They do offer a lot of aftermarket goodies for them, don't they? I figure with lots of practice, I can get the teardown and reassembly of the Mossberg down to an hour or so.
Yeah the 10-22 was my first semi-auto when I was a kid so I'm a bit partial. There are so many aftermarket parts for the 10-22 you can build a 10/22 from scratch without any ruger parts.

Quote:
Hey, my new replacement 25 rd. mag came today from Mossberg. 2 thumbs up for them. All I need now is time to try it out. I'll eep you posted.
I've had many Mossberg shotguns so I'm very happy to see them standing behind their product.

Best of luck. Boomer
Old September 26, 2013, 10:56 PM   #16
n5lyc

The first one I had was marked 702 plinkster tactical.
And yes inside was a 702 core rifle.

The new one is the 715T, and internally, it is the same rifle, same takedown, just a different bolt handle, and different markings.

I am not complaining.

I have owned several 1022's over the years. Both stock, and accessorized.
Even one in the late 80's with a metal under folding stock like an ak.
Uncomfortable to say the least, but it went in a nice small package behind the seat of the truck.

I enjoy the mossberg much more than I ever enjoyed the ruger..

I think..

I can say this.
I sold a ruger stainless boat paddle stock since I had the mossberg..
Old October 6, 2013, 10:22 PM   #17
bustersmaster

Well, I finally got out to try that new replacement mag today, in between rain storms. The new mag seems to feed 100% of the limited time I had to play with it. No jams at all. I still have an issue that seemed relatively minor before, when I was unable to string more than 3 shots together.
About once every 20 or 30 rounds, the bolt will lock back and needs the charging handle pulled out to release the bolt and chamber the round.
It's not as annoying as the jams I was having before and it's lots easier to clear. It seemed to be improving with use and when the weather and my schedule permits, I'll wring it out some more.
I do like the trigger and general feel of the gun and once the bugs are gone, I'll dial in the sights.