The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 8, 2006, 10:07 AM   #26
miscusi

I did lasik too...

I went with the cheapest doc I found at the time, it was 895 per eye. I did that because lasik is done with a computerized machine. I now see 20 20 in nice weather, the thing is, with lasik, the post operative directions must be followed to the T, the steriod drops, the not touching the eyes, and back then, there were no tracking lasers I had to keep looking at the red dot during the zapping that unfortaunately, after the flaps are lifted, you see nuttin but a big blur. steady eye, follow all directions and you will be fine. of course you must be a good candidate for the procedure or else complications can arise, I was -5.25 diopters in both eyes, with pretty thick cornias, but I have a large pupil diameter and as expected, my night vision is not great, but doable. I say go for it. worth it. really.
Old April 17, 2006, 06:15 PM   #27
USMC Tanker

Just got mine done, and to be honest, I couldn't be happier. Waking up, seeing better than with contacts/glasses and WITHOUT fumbling with glasses! I love it so far, following my post-op instructions to the dot. I just got the standard LASIK, I can't really imagine a better outcome with the CUSTOM. VERY pleased with my surgery, well worth it...
Old April 17, 2006, 11:21 PM   #28
DNK

LASIK is not the only option. The only approved vision correction method for Air Force flyers is Photorefractive Keratectomy or PRK and they did a lot of study on it. Results are about the same but they don't cut a flap off first, they just map and zap. It is supposed to maintain the integrity of the eye better. If you are thinking about eye surgery you might want to investigate this as an option as well.
Old April 18, 2006, 02:24 AM   #29
mxwelch

Quote:
LASIK is not the only option. The only approved vision correction method for Air Force flyers is Photorefractive Keratectomy or PRK and they did a lot of study on it. Results are about the same but they don't cut a flap off first, they just map and zap. It is supposed to maintain the integrity of the eye better. If you are thinking about eye surgery you might want to investigate this as an option as well.
It's the predecessor to LASIK. The downside is pain and lots of it. Bandages on your eyes and a far greater risk of infection. Forget about PRK, it's the old technology. Several friends had it and after watching them I said no way.

I had Lasik done 8 years ago. It was the best $4500 I ever spent. I'm now 20/15 in my left eye and 20/20 in the right.
Old April 18, 2006, 07:45 AM   #30
Arioch

Lasic

I have pretty bad eyesight, and to complicate things, the vision in each eye is VERY different than in the other eye. One of my concerns with LASIK has been the worry that I wouldn't be able to focus on the front sight (which I have to wear reading glasses for now) and still be able to see the target. Does this sound like a problem any of you have had?
Old April 19, 2006, 04:41 AM   #31
miscusi

with lasik, you best correct your distance vision to 20 20. and wear reading glasses for close up looking, cant see close due to age is due to the lack of flexibility of the lens itself which happens over time. Cornea shape determines general vision, lens in the eye allows close up viewing.

I'm not too old, and can still focus up close. but if you hold your gun at arms length, you should be fine ?
Old April 19, 2006, 10:45 PM   #32
riverrat66

Undecided

I've been considering LASIK Eye Surgery for several years now BUT just cannot make up my mind. Most recently my eyes have gotten much worse because I can't see nuthin' without my glasses (bifocals) but actually I'm farsighted because I can't see at a distance very well anymore either.

Like Capt. Charlie said, I too may be dealing with cataracts in the near future. But I had trouble shooting the last time I went. I actually did better by removing my glasses. Even my bifocals don't work at the computer. I use magnifying glasses I bought at the drugstore.

When I first started investigating LASIK everyone around here was going to Canada because we live so close to the border. The eye surgeons there are top notch and back then the exchange rate on the money was about 30% so you could save a bundle. I know several people who went there and are 100% satisfied. But now the exchange rate has plummeted so there is no financial advantage to going across the border. Besides I prefer spending my money in the USA and that could have been an underlying reason why I choose not have the surgery.

But after reading this thread I am really reconsidering whether or not to have this procedure. Once again, my friend Capt. Charlie has the best advise and that is, "to look for the best ophthalmologist in the business that does NOT offer LASIK and get his professional, unbiased opinion."

But it sure would be nice to be able to see without these stupid glasses AGAIN!
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old April 21, 2006, 10:17 AM   #33
AKhunter

I got mine done two years ago. I was previously at -4.75 in both eyes. Now, I'm at 20/20, all distances. No halos, some mild blurriness when I'm tired or after I've put pressure on the eye. My dad had cataracts to the point where he shouldn't have been driving. He went to the same doc and got the new crystal lens corneal replacement. We both couldn't be happier. I'm especially pleased to be able to spend time outdoors and not have to have my survival depend on my contact lenses.

AK
Old April 21, 2006, 12:45 PM   #34
tjhands

Well, fellas, my LASIK surgery will be taking place exactly one week from this very moment. Noon-thirty on Friday.

The $3600 price tag is the least of my worries. I'm going through with it, though. Wish me luck.
Old April 21, 2006, 03:49 PM   #35
riverrat66

tjhands,

Good Luck to you. Let us know how it turns out. I'm particularly interested in the results as I have a LASIK Eye Surgery pamphlet setting right here in front of me. I just need a "push" in the right direction.

riverrat66
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old April 22, 2006, 07:07 AM   #36
stever

Quote:
The reason that the Air Force requires PRK versus LASIK is that they don't want the flap to become detached during high G maneuvers. You are correct in that after a year both LASIK and PRK have the same outcome.

A newer, better, and more expensive option is custom ablation LASIK or Zyoptix. Also clear lens extraction AKA cataract surgery without the cataracts is another with the exception of automatically requiring reading glasses.
Old April 22, 2006, 01:21 PM   #37
Gazpacho

Verisyse Lens

In two days I will undergo a second Verisyse procedure to implant my second lens. I knew before I even went in to see my opthamologist that I didn't want lasik. My glasses perscription was at a steady -10.5 diopter, and my unaided focal distance for reading was three inches. There wouldn't have even been anything left of my corneas after lasik or PRK. To make matters worse, I had very low tollerance for contact lenses, clip on sunglasses or even multiple glasses with the same perscription.

That left Verisyse.

The Verisyse Lens is a contact lens implanted between the cornea and the iris. The downside is that the recover time is longer than Lasik or PRK, and that this is actual surgery. It is also expensive, and in $7000. Finally, there is the possibility that the lens could become dislodged by a serious blow to the head, like with boxing or airbag deployment. Full contact football might also be a bad idea. The upside is that the lens is 100% correctable. If for some reason, something goes wrong during or after the procedure, they can go back in and correct it or reverse it.

Two weeks ago I had the first eye done. That same day, hours after the procedure, my eye tested at 20/35. Far better than I've had since the second grade. Yesterday I tested at 20/25. Although there was a risk of halos and poorer nighttime vision, neither has been the case. Every once in a while I will catch a brief reflection of light off of the bottom of the lens. Maybe once a day. Also, I have a slight sensitivity to bright sunlight, but that may still be attributed to surgery recovery.

All in all, I would say that I got everything I hoped to get and a little bit more, from my first eye procedure. I would recommend it to anyone who has fully research the option and is considering it.